(Topic ID: 235404)

Look at what a few week old Beatles playfield looks like!

By Vdrums

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 209 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Travish
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is this acceptable dimpling?”

• YES 48 votes
    47%
  • NO 54 votes
    53%

(102 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unbenannt-2 (resized).jpg
b944a375ebcc1.jpg
975A4B20-EECF-4950-AFB5-7DCB2E9B2868 (resized).jpeg
5ce70e76e7ba1d59c7d031ec5dda3e9d32903678 (resized).jpg
02CC3604-195F-4D8B-8BB2-7AAE67290C46 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
couch.jpg
anttidote_golden_shit (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
C8DFF733-A37E-4822-B48E-9683FFF2AF86 (resized).jpeg
3253A399-1787-41B5-8EB3-0A946D7F9A90 (resized).jpeg
joker_dimple.png
bill (resized).jpg
beatles.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

Wait for it... "It'll even out over time", "All wood is the same" etcetc... such BS. I've had my MM for 22 years and watched it go from tiny shallow dimples to now a shiny but wavy sort of delicate texture. Never anything like these new PF's - and to think I worried about the minor dimpling my MM showed way back then..lol. I have older Stern's also (LOTR,TSPP) that also have only the most shallow of indentations.
My TWD, however, looks like the surface of the moon in comparison (or "lumpy clay" as Rare hero eloquently states)... these will NOT "smooth out" over time but it's such a great game I can live with it.

Stern (or whomever is making these PF's) is simply buying the cheapest, greenest and most unseasoned wood they can... hence the softness. Saves a few bucks.

Cue vid to show up here and trundle out the same old pics he found on the Internet of TOM's outlanes, etc. I have a TOM and it can throw the ball all the way back over the flippers so I would indeed expect to find some deeper dimpling there.

And to be fair right after I bought the MM I returned a CV because it DID have an obviously soft PF. Rare back in the day but it happens. Divots so deep from day one that the guy at Betson's (that I sorta knew) actually gave me my money back. I reported it on rgp and nobody believed you could get your money back. Instead of hearing the part about the PF I got pummeled about getting a refund.

The good 'ole days indeed

It worked out for the best as CV went on closeout for $2100 and I snagged one that had the typically hard PF. Still have it in the same spot.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Guys, I'm starting my own pinball company (three of them actually, you can never have enough!), and I'm looking to cut some corners by buying cheap, soft wood.
Can you guys please point me to where I can find these cheaper, softer trees? How does one go about cutting this particular corner? Are these trees grown in china? Or perhaps a lab in Bengladesh?
Also, one of my companies will be a "luxury pinball company," - kind of a Fyre Festival of pinball.
Can you guys please point me out to the expensive, harder trees so I can spend more money on a tougher, dimple-proof wood tp sell to the trust fund crowd? These are artisan trees that are hand-grown and cared for only by the most experienced, expensive tree farmers to ensure maximum hardness.
Thanks!
Also, how will this affect my BOM?!

Here you go my friend: https://www.timberproducts.com/blog/hardwood-plywood-series-the-drying-equation

Just find a supplier that cuts corners during this procedure and you'll get what you're looking for... softer wood sold to your fledgling company on the cheap!

Loved your post though... made me chuckle. Puts things in perspective

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

"Yeah but are they clearcoated so thick and so shiny that the dimples that all PF's get wink at you like little distracting stars?? "
[quoted image]

I don't doubt it Brad... the thicker clear does show the problem off nicely. But considering I had the same issue with a NIB WMS I doubt if it is the main issue. If the thickness added to it you'd see some kind of marks even on the inserts.

But I gotta ask... is that piece of pinball poetry attributable to myself? I don't keep a posting compendium around like you do

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Let's all calm down a bit... It also has water on the playfield glass. (First pic).
This post is fake news/click bait to the extreme and everyone fell for it, myself included.
[quoted image]

Yeah that water drop looks like where my original CV dropped the balls off the ramp for multiball. Still the rest of the pic looks suspiciously like my TWD Pr.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Yes, I was quoting you, even without a Usenet reader, it is easy to find some topics. I don't debate playfields, like people, they each seem to be their own. And I figured I would add a picture before Vid.
Now will you come out to Expo so if not dinner, I can at least buy you a drink old-timer!

Yeah you gotta love dimple discussions... like politics and religion nobody really ever changes their mind This one actually looks a little worse than my TWD... and you can buy me at least a couple drinks (for calling me an old-timer). These days I'm just *old*.

This was a few weeks old too at the time... but somewhat more understandable:
bm66 (resized).pngbm66 (resized).png

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Silverball Museum got a Beatles in a few weeks ago, and the playfield already looks like the dark side of the moon.
I really like this machine as it blends the old and new styles of games well, but the amount of playfield dimpling for such a new machine seems extreme. The game is in a low traffic area hidden upstairs in a corner and most likely hasn't been played much.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm going to have to come over there and confiscate your Roland drum kit for "deepfaking" your PS friends. Shame on you

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can't really be much of a plywood authority if you think that ANY plywood on the entire face of the planet has ever been made with 10 or 12 layers.
You have tipped your cards and shown you are both a pinball and plywood nubie.....

Ah be nice Vid... did people call you a "nube" when you raved that a "deluxe" Strat had a "little spring under the whammy bar"?

Everybody knows the basic Strat has had that since the 60's or earlier. The deluxes DON'T use a spring and use a pop-in bar with an allen head adjustment. In fact the only thing "deluxe" about it were the locking tuners... you got everything else wrong. I tried to gently correct you early in that thread but you just ignored it of course. I see all kinds of similar dubious claims from you but who cares... this stuff is supposed to be fun to talk about. And you're usually a funny guy.

So he got the plywood count wrong... fact is my TWD will never end up looking as good as that AFM pic you got off the net. My AFM is right next to the TWD.

There's a lot to consider as the shinier clear does show it off more... improper drying time WILL give you softer wood, etc... this is just supposed to be something interesting to talk about.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I said crater, not dimple... dimples are cute, and everyone has them, craters are whats left once you pull that giant blackhead out of your forhead after your wife or girlfriend asks you what cyclops you stole your third eye from.

Gnarly description... I'm afraid to ask if that has something to with your alias

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Whenever that was, I obviously missed the point that we were talking about a Deluxe Strat, and not a Deluxe Roadhouse Strat.
Often I'm posting and driving, drinking and driving, posting and drinking.
So obviously my I owe you a belated apology and will regretfully turn in my lifelong Strat owner's card. [quoted image]

So you were amazed that a Roadhouse Strat had a spring under the whammy? Hmm I just figured the one you had when you were younger had lost the spring before you got it. Easy to lose that little inchworm. Hence the sticker over the whammy hole when you buy them new.

Whatever... you'll always be my favorite king dick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
10,282 (OBO)
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
BomberMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/look-at-what-a-few-week-old-beatles-playfield-looks-like?tu=Manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.