(Topic ID: 196204)

Longtime Collectors: What has impressed you the most?

By Rondogg

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rondogg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

People who have been in the hobby for around 15 years or more, what has blown your mind about how this hobby has changed?

#2 6 years ago

Old school collectors used to think I was crazy for buying stern NIBs for $4-4500 (LOTR, FGY, SM, etc...). So I think the thing that blows my mind the most since joining the hobby in 2006 is stern selling a $15k NIB....and they pulled it off! ...and they don't even have to finish it.

#3 6 years ago

My 1st job at age 14 was working at a swim club in 1974. The owner was my next door neighbor. One of my duties was to clean the pinball machines in the game room and remove the coins. At $1.50 an hour the best benefit was playing for free. Most of the games were older Gottlieb's from the 60's with push up balls. He bought a High Hand which at that time was a new game. I was in love. Played it so much that the day I turned the score reels back to zero I was totally hooked. When solid state games appeared in the late 70's I was taken with Eight Ball and Playboy. Then I played Xenon when released. Loved that game. Years later I have owned many from that era. Newer games don't have as much appeal because of the complicated rule set. I've enjoyed TZ and many others over the years but hell I'm old.

#4 6 years ago

The fact that people are paying these crazy prices. But seriously, I'm not impressed with much since I think pinball topped out with the late 90's Bally/Williams game. Started playing on EM's bought my first real pin in the 90's Owned many and played many.

#5 6 years ago

Availability of spare and repro parts

#6 6 years ago

The knowledge sharing that internet forums create sometimes blows my mind and has changed the hobby for me.

#7 6 years ago

I never ever thought I'd see multiple manufacturers again. I used to read those 90s Pingame Journals and see all the incredible releases in EACH edition by multiple manufacturers and then Stern comes out with Roller Coaster tycoon I thought, "well it was a nice run".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/longtime-collectors-what-has-impressed-you-the-most and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.