Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I recently changed my password and discovered that the maximum length on Pinside is 16 characters. The best passwords are longer phrases and sentences rather than shorter strings of random characters. They are harder to crack and easier to remember. I've been switching all of my passwords to these longer versions. It would be great if Pinside could increase the possible password size as well. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I recently changed my password and discovered that the maximum length on Pinside is 16 characters. The best passwords are longer phrases and sentences rather than shorter strings of random characters. They are harder to crack and easier to remember. I've been switching all of my passwords to these longer versions. It would be great if Pinside could increase the possible password size as well. Thanks!

You should open a moderator thread for something like that. That way robin sees it

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You should open a moderator thread for something like that. That way robin sees it

I guess I will if I don’t get a response. I thought this was the way to suggest features. I would assume Robin checks these out every once in a while.

#4 6 years ago

Really? Youre worried about your pinball forum username getting hacked?

#5 6 years ago

why would anyone hack an account like pinside?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

If the op is going to use the same type of passwords, I would imagine he'd want to do it everywhere.

#7 6 years ago

It has been done before, around 2 years ago. I would guess that someone saw the Pinsider enter his password, or he had an easy password like 'qwerty' or '123456'

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That can't be right mine is 29.

#9 6 years ago

It is a social media site. Why not have it secure? I’ve known people whose Facebook passwords were hacked. The point is to enable best password practice with easy to remember passwords.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

That can't be right mine is 29.

I don’t know. When I recently went to change my password, I couldn’t get beyond the 16th character.

#11 6 years ago

I never understood the point of all the long passwords,must use a number,capital letter and a symbol..it's all too much especially knowing most people are letting their browser remember it. So what's the point. Too many accounts and too many different passwords to try and remember. Unless you are writing them down for me to find anyway.
    -Mike

#12 6 years ago

A 16-digit password comprised of randomly generated upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols is virtually impossible to crack. Plus, it's not like a brute force attack on a site like this is even practical. After a certain number of attempts, the account will be locked.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

A 16-digit password comprised of randomly generated upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols is virtually impossible to crack. Plus, it's not like a brute force attack on a site like this is even practical. After a certain number of attempts, the account will be locked.

This is what I do but it is 29. I had to count it to see how many. Maybe it only takes 16 but will let me keep going for the other 13?

#14 6 years ago

Why not multi-factor while we're at it? lol

#15 6 years ago

There's really no technical reason to limit it to 16 characters -- a hash is the same length, no matter the size of the password (and I hope they're salting/hashing when storing the password...). If someone wants to protect their account with a 30 character passphrase, they should be able to do so.

History lesson: Microsoft used to limit passwords to 14 characters -- because internally they were storing it as two seven character hashes. Not good because a 7 character password is easy to crack.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's also impossible to remember. And, a 32-40 character sentence of common words, believe it or not, is much more difficult to crack than a shorter random string of letters, numbers and symbols. Anyway, whether it is easier to hack or not, the point is that I am trying to switch all of my passwords to sentences / phrases that are easier to remember. All sites allow me to do this except Pinside so far. It would just be nice to have the option.

#17 6 years ago

I used to use a very handy website to store all my passwords but then I forgot the password to it.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

No need. Robin reads this particular sub-forum frequently.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

It's also impossible to remember. And, a 32-40 character sentence of common words, believe it or not, is much more difficult to crack than a shorter random string of letters, numbers and symbols.

No matter how long and secure your password is, it's still best to avoid using the same password on more than one site. That's why I highly recommend using a password manager. It allows unique and secure passwords for every site, and it eliminates the need for you to remember them.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I think you worry waaaay waaaaay too much.

#21 6 years ago

Exactly ??!! I try and use the same passwords for multiple things as much as possible, it just makes my life easier and the shorter the better too.

John

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I never understood the point of all the long passwords,must use a number,capital letter and a symbol..it's all too much especially knowing most people are letting their browser remember it. So what's the point. Too many accounts and too many different passwords to try and remember. Unless you are writing them down for me to find anyway.
    -Mike

I write mine down and there hidden away incase I need to refer back to them for some reason. There all pretty close within each other though.

John

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Exactly ??!! I try and use the same passwords for multiple things as much as possible, it just makes my life easier and the shorter the better too.
    John

That's fine for accounts that can't hurt you if compromised. It's not fine for filing taxes, online banking, credit cards, insurance companies, etc. Credit card information breaches are fairly common, when a bad actor compromises one account you don't want them having access to every account because you used poor security practices.

That data will be used in ways you probably haven't thought of. Like scamming your family. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0204-family-emergency-scams

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I write mine down and there hidden away incase I need to refer back to them for some reason. There all pretty close within each other though.
    John

I have all of mine on a spread sheet that is 2 pages long. It is insane.

#25 6 years ago

1password for the win

#26 6 years ago

Everyone has different ways to manage passwords. My simple request is to allow people like me who want to use sentences or phrases the ability to do so.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

simple request

Let the person coding the site determine how simple or complex implementing your feature request will be.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Maybe it only takes 16 but will let me keep going for the other 13?

Go ahead, Nokoro.
    Use as many as you want, no problem.
    You are welcome to keep typing whether the system is accepting the characters or not.
    If it stops at 16, no problem.
    You can type in all 29 and it will still use the first 16.
    Genius!

#29 6 years ago

My password is the serial number of my first car. A Datsun B210. Finding the the first 6 digits should be easy. Good luck with the final 6. So that's a million different permutations you've got to try. But why would anyone do that!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Let the person coding the site determine how simple or complex implementing your feature request will be.

Fair enough. You’re correct. The request is simple. I have no idea how simple or not coding it would be.

#31 6 years ago

Not sure why all the concern over a 16 character password (its hardcoded in the software). I would says its unreasonable. Especially on a leisure forum. There is so much more to worry about than that. Unless you are using the same password everywhere and you just dont ever want to see it hacked. Which brings me to hacking. There are all sorts of hack and vulnerabilities that can get your information despite your 16+ character PW. Just ask Equifax! And thank them by the way that you most important information is now out in the wild. Then you have to worry about your own machine not being compromised. Keyboard loggers etc, Man in the Middle Attacks etc. There is so much more to worry about than +16 characters.

Better worry more that the site operator is keeping up with vulnerabilty patching of this site. Thats how your SSN(SIN), DOB and everything else Equifax has on you got out.

#32 6 years ago

I gotta say that sucks I’m so sick of passwords ect. They force u on a lot of sites to have numbers and Hyphens and crap! It’s like geez let me control my own destiny pls! I don’t want a longer password!
    Yes I’m old but damn back the heck off! Haha happy New Years !

#33 6 years ago

Passwords suck in general. And if you forget your password recovery options suck on many sites. And I think most people have figured out for banking, taxes, etc. you need to have unique strong passwords. For social media it’s probably fine to use simple/ same password with no harm. But what bothers me is online shopping. Every site damn near makes you sign on/register. Then you still have to enter payment info. I hate PayPal but I also hate putting my credit or bank info out there every time I make a purchase. None of it feels secure in the least.

One thing I plan to do in hopes to limit someone getting my bank info is setting up a second account just for online purchases where I have an option to not use PayPal. I can transfer money to it as needed and use it specifically for any online purchases/bills. Just want added protection for my main account that I don’t want to use online. It’s scary what can happen with identity theft.

#34 6 years ago

Use the first letter in each word of the phrase. FTW.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

I would think it'd be important for Pinsiders that sell on this site.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's fine for accounts that can't hurt you if compromised. It's not fine for filing taxes, online banking, credit cards, insurance companies, etc. Credit card information breaches are fairly common, when a bad actor compromises one account you don't want them having access to every account because you used poor security practices.

I totally agree. Fortunately for me I have NONE of those things. Cash is king!!

John

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have all of mine on a spread sheet that is 2 pages long. It is insane.

I have MAYBE a dozen different ones. Probably only use half of them on a monthly basis.

John

#38 6 years ago

I use LastPass with two factor authentication. Each site gets a randomly generated 16 character password, or at least as close to 16 as allowed. If one site gets compromised, it doesn't affect the other sites. It can still be a pain in the ass sometimes, but all security has some annoyance.

#39 6 years ago

This weekend only: I’m selling all my games for $100!! Message me!

#40 6 years ago

Lionman's shooter lane will be $10,000 by Christmas!

#41 6 years ago

Sorry about that, it looks like the hackers cracked my password...

#42 6 years ago

As said above, use a password manager! Different random password at every site.

Another word of advice, never enter real information for "security questions", such as "what color was your first car?". By doing this you are providing personally identifiable information that is likely to end up being leaked and can be used for fraud. I always provide random fake answers and store them in my password manager along with the question.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I use LastPass with two factor authentication. Each site gets a randomly generated 16 character password, or at least as close to 16 as allowed. If one site gets compromised, it doesn't affect the other sites. It can still be a pain in the ass sometimes, but all security has some annoyance.

An app that truly changes one's life. Great stuff!

#45 6 years ago

I use a key, based on a specific subset and certain differences that fall within each website's URL.
    It could be as simple (but it's not) as my youngest child's birthday, my oldest's initials and a certain non-letter character based on the site domain.

#46 6 years ago

Best password ever: 370HSSV-0773H

(Google it)

#47 6 years ago

Use one that keeps a local file-based password database. KeePass is free. You can also use multi-factor challenge with it.

Only bad thing with a local file is you can lose it, so you need a backup strategy. I've had my same file since 2004!!

#48 6 years ago

Pinside is some pretty heavy stuff. Best keep it really secure. Some people. First world problems much?

#49 6 years ago

For those who don’t care to have a secure password on Pinside, just choose Password123 and be happy.

I use a password keeper app for all of my important financial stuff. For less important social media sites, I prefer a slightly simpler method. That doesn’t mean I don’t want security. But I would like options on how to manage it which for me require longer passwords. And while it is unlikely that anyone would want to hack an account on here, there are scammers who try to take advantage on this site so why not try to be safe rather than sorry.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/longer-passwords-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.