• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello All,

I am new to the site as a member but wanted to know anyone's general thoughts on buying a game for the first time. I have a lot of favorites but tried to narrow them down to a good first game to own that I like the theme, good game play, that is not too over the top in price, and not many moving parts for repairs. Despite liking some of the popular big dollar games like: TZ, MB, Spiderman, Scared Stiff, Theater of Magic, Cactus Canyon, Guns N Roses, Elvis, Tales of Arabian Nights, and Junkyard there is one game I remember playing back in my high school days I enjoyed and think would be a great start: TFTC. Please let me know anything on this particular game or in general to look out for. I have been shopping around a few places in Arizona and may have found a place that has a refurbished one with LED lights for about $2,500. Based on some research it may be a little high but we will see when check it out. As far as TFTC, I always liked the HBO TV show series and the game. I know it is not a Bally/Williams which is usually my favorite type of machines but the TFTC game has always been something I wanted and was fun to play. On a side note the same person also has a TZ for sale at $4,500 to $4,900 rebuilt in which someday I will want as well but is a different kind of game I like and don’t think is the best first game to own. I am looking forward to all of your help and support.

#2 11 years ago

I love my TFTC. Welcome to Pinside!

Things to look for:

Check for wear on the scoop hole.
Make sure Tombstone goes up and down.
Those are the major things that I think of.

Good luck with the hunt, you can't go wrong with TFTC!

#3 11 years ago

I think data east games are heavy on the maintenance side. If you like horror theme go with a bsd. Install 3 inch flippers, set it to 5 ball, and extra easy. It will be fun, instead of brutal. You'll get hours of enjoyment and it's a great bang for the buck. It will keep you coming back. SS is an excellent first pin too. Easy to understand and lots of fun. Higher budget but a big crowd pleaser.

I'd stay away from tz as a first pin. It's something that's good in larger collections. The game gets a lot of hype. It was king 20+ years ago, but not so much anymore. If you have a bigger budget, I recommend a tron pro. Light on the maintenance side and it's fun all around. it's a crowd pleaser. Can't go wrong with tron. I'd recommend those two based on your budget. Just my thoughts.

#4 11 years ago

I disagree never had many problem with my tftc. Also check and make sure the plastic above the drop targets is there and intact. Great game one of my top 5.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/long-time-player-interested-first-time-buyer-what-to-look-for-tftc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.