• Latest reply 3 years ago by A-1Bogart
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b7e03a2900d94be0dbccc3f45cb979f6612cc374.jpg
507D6C7C-15A4-40D1-BB05-9F0F33600A34 (resized).jpeg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

I would have a little different approach. Agree with going solid state but I would look for something close to you in your price range and not Necessarily a particular pin. I had played for years before owning and I bought my first game out of the newspaper classified. It was a pin that I had never heard of or seen but it looked cool and had multiball and ramps, etc. My budget was $1000 and the buyer wanted $800 and took $400 when we determined it had several issues. Played it, worked on it, improved it for > 5 year before buying a second pin. Then things accelerated (now have 10) and after I had multiple more desirable pins I sold it for $1300. (Laser War).

So whatever you buy first it will be fun and get plenty of play because it will be your first one. Can’t really go wrong with anything. And if it’s not perfect or has some issues then it sets you up to learn. And the learning/trouble shooting/repairing etc for many actually becomes the more rewarding part of the hobby.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

I would have a little different approach. Agree with going solid state but I would look for something close to you in your price range and not Necessarily a particular pin. I had played for years before owning and I bought my first game out of the newspaper classified. It was a pin that I had never heard of or seen but it looked cool and had multiball and ramps, etc. My budget was $1000 and the buyer wanted $800 and took $400 when we determined it had several issues. Played it, worked on it, improved it for > 5 year before buying a second pin. Then things accelerated (now have 10) and after I had multiple more desirable pins I sold it for $1300. (Laser War).
So whatever you buy first it will be fun and get plenty of play because it will be your first one. Can’t really go wrong with anything. And if it’s not perfect or has some issues then it sets you up to learn. And the learning/trouble shooting/repairing etc for many actually becomes the more rewarding part of the hobby.

That's partially my goal is to get a machine that I'll enjoy and also learn maintenance and improvement aspects like adding LEDs, cleaning, fixing bumpers and pieces, etc.

There actually aren't too many solid states from what I saw going through the list on ipdb that I disliked, which is good news! The only ones I didn't like had to do with irritating sound effects that go on repeat and are a very low quality droning sound.

#53 3 years ago

A good rual of thumb is to look at Pinsids top 100 - pick something out of the first 50 , might be hard to find anything under $2,000. But remember thoes top 50 games are easy to sell and hold there value . They are top 50 for a reason !

#54 3 years ago

Well, I definitely have a "dream machine" on my wishlist for the future: Total Nuclear Annihilation ! That is my kind of game with the awesome 80's retro future theming! One day, I will get that machine and add it hopefully to my collection.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I know why I'm saying the T word so much, it's from Pinball FX3 and how they label them as "Tables"

I’m going to defend the word Table here. Pinball table. Hah, I make all the name Nazi’s skin crawl. Seriously, back in the glory days of arcades some players did call them that. Some pinball creators have used the term. Don’t be autistic, community. Show some flexibility. Everyone knows what the word means so it’s fine.

#56 3 years ago

F-14 Tomcat for $1500

The ad is currently listed as local pickup, but the owner may be willing to ship if you make the arrangements?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/96087

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyder138:

F-14 Tomcat for $1500
The ad is currently listed as local pickup, but the owner may be willing to ship if you make the arrangements?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/96087

If it was near me I would have likely considered it. But the cost is just a little too high and the shipping would probably add another $500 easily. Nice find though!

#58 3 years ago

I was looking at possible shipping options on the Pinside forum post, and I just wanted to know if those options are still viable or if there are other shippers/delivery services people can recommend?

Cause I figure inevitably there will come a time where I'll have to pay for a machine to get shipped and just wanted to know which avenues for shipping/delivery were the best.

#59 3 years ago

Don’t ever ship. Especially not for your first game. You need to be able to see and play before you buy. Just stay patient. You’ll find something you can go pick up.

#60 3 years ago

Agree with Chuck. Besides the obvious playing the actual machine etc you're going to miss out on how the game breaks down, how to load it, move it etc.

#61 3 years ago

I just realized that there are Solid State Machines, and then there are the DMD Machines as well. I updated my post to reflect that I'm more than happy to get a DMD machine as well!

#62 3 years ago

For 1500 we’d all love a DMD game! Haha

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For 1500 we’d all love a DMD game! Haha

I did, in 2006

#64 3 years ago

HydrogenHuman Hey man just stumbled upon your post...Much like you, after quite a long time of dreaming, and several months of looking and researching, I'm working to get my first pin as well. Honestly before last year I never would have thought it was possible, nor did I realize what a thorough and helpful community there was as well. Taken 3 swings at making offers so far, but it hasn't yet worked out. Fortunately this isn't baseball... so I'm going to keep pressing on till I get to join the club!

I'm up in NH, so not too far away from you. It stinks that everything is kind of shut down due to Covid right now... but hopefully soon it will be easier to get around. I also appreciated a lot of the questions you asked, as I had similar ones, and will be learning from some of the advice you received.

Good luck in your search! Following this thread till we can see pics of your first game!

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from A-1Bogart:

hydrogenhuman Hey man just stumbled upon your post...Much like you, after quite a long time of dreaming, and several months of looking and researching, I'm working to get my first pin as well. Honestly before last year I never would have thought it was possible, nor did I realize what a thorough and helpful community there was as well. Taken 3 swings at making offers so far, but it hasn't yet worked out. Fortunately this isn't baseball... so I'm going to keep pressing on till I get to join the club!
I'm up in NH, so not too far away from you. It stinks that everything is kind of shut down due to Covid right now... but hopefully soon it will be easier to get around. I also appreciated a lot of the questions you asked, as I had similar ones, and will be learning from some of the advice you received.
Good luck in your search! Following this thread till we can see pics of your first game!

Best of luck to you as well! I actually managed to get a great deal on a Surf 'n Safari yesterday, so I'm very excited to have it delivered to me soon!

b7e03a2900d94be0dbccc3f45cb979f6612cc374.jpgb7e03a2900d94be0dbccc3f45cb979f6612cc374.jpg

#66 3 years ago

HydrogenHuman Congrats!! Nice lookin game too. Have fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/long-time-pinball-fan-first-time-buyer/page/2?hl=a-1bogart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.