(Topic ID: 301712)

Long-term Pinball Market collecting - what will hold value in 10 years

By TechnicalSteam

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What games do you think will hold value in 10 years?”

• Modern Era LCD 7 votes
      25%
    • Modern Era DMD 2 votes
      7%
    • DMD Era 15 votes
      54%
    • Late Solid State 2 votes
      7%
    • Early Solid Sate 0 votes
    • Electro Mechanical (general) 2 votes
      7%

(28 votes)

#1 2 years ago

Pinball has a pretty rich history. I'm curious how people view the following
    questions?

What games do you think will hold value in 10 years?

What games would you avoid holding onto long term?

How would you define Modern Era - From Today - to ?

Is there a Modern Era DMD category now, separated by LCD introduction?

Ex. Modern Era DMD or Modern Era LCD. Is DMD really dead?

#2 2 years ago

You need to add an "all of the above" choice

#4 2 years ago

Interesting comments in that!

I like the comment about Twilight Zone only going up 500-1000 over the next 10 years. What was a 2010 price, $5000?

#5 2 years ago

Sheesh - who would of thought........

#6 2 years ago

I wanted to dump all of this thread with all of the "it's a hobby etc..." (LOL I wouldn't do that). But reading the 11 year old thread makes me want to see how this one plays out in 10 years.

My take: ems will still be sub 1k except for certain titles. In general prices will jump 20-40% for most decent titles, 40-80% for popular titles that aren't remade and 150% for popular rare titles.

I have no real knowledge to back this up. I'm just WAGing it to see how I do in 10 years

#7 2 years ago

The peak is coming, then it's a slow decline. I can't see much of the next generation giving two-hoots about expensive pinball machines, especially as virtual pinball is moving into the Unreal 4 engine territory with hyper realistic graphics and physics, full connectivity to millions of other players around the globe, VR compatibility for fully immersive gameplay experiences.....all for about $5 a game. A 10 grand toy!! Are you out of your freaking mind!

It's easy for the old-timers to say....you can't beat playing a real physical pinball machine....but that argument will soon be history.

#8 2 years ago

I just up voted an 11 year old post.

#9 2 years ago

If that's your goal, you are going about it the wrong way
    Buy what you like, play and enjoy.
    If you sell down the line after 10 years of enjoyment, the machine owes you nothing

#10 2 years ago

Popular games that are out of production, hard to license, and would be difficult to have re-run (legally) with original licensed assets for... reasons. At or near the top of the list I would say:

Indiana Jones
    Lord of The Rings
    Addams Family

A few limited run but highly desirable games will keep their value as well

Rick and Morty
    Tron LE
    Star Trek LE

Finally, just to troll earth:
    Thunderbirds.

#11 2 years ago

I think Indy Jones - will never get remade.

AFM - That is up for debate.

Next year in my opinion will be a good litmus test.

Personally for me. I am no longer keeping anything Pre-DMD era.
    Accept for Funhouse. I am in the process of selling off all those titles. Still
    have a couple to go.

Personally I don't know how many machines I'm going want in another 15 years.

#12 2 years ago

I'd prefer to make more than one vote. I think the late SS (SYS 11), dmd, modern dmd will be strong on value. LCD should be, but time will tell. Theme may also play into this as people's tastes for nostalgia evolve as well. My layout is from 1985 to 2021, my 5 yr old likes them all, so there is hope for future pin heads out there.. This week I started explaining some repairs to him, not sure he got it all, but he did pay attention.

#13 2 years ago

I think that the games I currently own will hold their value until I sell them and then the next ones I own will increase in value and the ones I sold will probably decrease.

Pinball is starting to feel more extrinsic these days than intrinsic. If that continues it will honestly be more about whatever people are into spending their discretionary income on and I would imagine that most people will have moved on from pinball in 10 years.

+1 for “none of the above”

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/long-term-pinball-market-collecting-what-will-hold-value-in-10-years?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.