(Topic ID: 323670)

Long Shot: Genie Garage Door Opener Repair (Fixed!)

By Crash

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I'm trying to repair this Genie garage door opener from 2006. The problem is it won't do anything at all when I plug it in. It has two boards, a main power driver board and an Intellicode receiver board. The power driver board rectifies 20VAC to 26VDC and also regulates this down to what I believe is 8VDC, then sends these voltages to the receiver board via a 3 pin connector. It operates relays for the bidirectional drive motor circuit as well as the lights. I have replaced the rectifier diodes and main filter cap. When I send 20VAC to the power driver board on the bench with nothing else plugged in, a relay clicks and stays on. I'm assuming it's trying to turn on the lights which are just straight 120VAC. However when I install the board back into the opener and connect everything back up, no relays click when I plug the thing in and it remains completely unresponsive. I confirmed proper voltages are present for both boards. All solder joints are good.

Given the power driver board seems to be ok and has signs of life when stuff is unplugged, I'm now suspecting the receiver board is a fault. I'm guessing this is supposed to send a pulse down the 8VDC line back to the power driver board or pull it low to signify a button press. This remote board normally has a red LED that turns on, and it's not even doing that.

I can try replacing boards from eBay but some of those are pricey and I would like to understand the issue. There are no schematics available. Does anyone have experience with Genie electronics?

#3 1 year ago

I might have a receipt actually. Will definitely look into it! Thanks.

7 months later
    #4 10 months ago

Now that the weather is warm enough I was finally able to fix this! The Intellicode remote control receiver board was faulty. I found one on eBay for $30 and now it works perfectly again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/long-shot-genie-garage-door-opener-repair?tu=Crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.