(Topic ID: 14053)

Long ass day yesterday. Border screw ups but ultimately a mint machine!

By sixsixtie

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-2.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixsixtie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Now my situation is an unfortunate one. My apartment is small. So I can't really have a machine at my place. I mean I could... But it would be crowded and let's just say the wife's a tough sell. But luckily I have a friend close enough by who let's me keep my machine at his place.

But that means that really I can only have one machine because it REALLY doesn't make sense to tie up a bunch of money when I get to go play only a few times a week.

A machine I wanted came up on Seattle Craigslist ( I live in Vancouver). So I put my Getaway up on Craislist. It got a lot of attention. Fast forward to yesterday.

I wake up 9:00 am to go meet the guy buying the getaway at my buddys place.
    At 10:15 guy shows up no haggling and we load up.
    I almost instantly leave to goto my sister's to borrow her Nissan Pathfinder in another suberb and get there at 11:30.
    They're lateish and I get on the road by 12:15. My destination somewhere between Tacoma and Seattle. Maybe even past tacoma IDK it was a long drive though.
    Get to the border and it's only about a 30 min wait.
    I get to the guys place at like 3:30 and pay and load up back on the road by 4:15.
    Get back to the border by 7:00 and holy shit is the border line ever long. I'm sitting there for 45 minutes before I can even see the crossing. When I get down to choosing which line to go in it's 8:30 and I've basically already been on the road for 11 hours.
    Naturally I choose the line where the custom's agent is asking 5 minutes of questions for every car when everyone else, as far as i can tell, get's a high five while driving by.
    I get there and he starts asking me about the machine. "Do you flip them?" "No" "Do you operate them?" "No" " How much did it cost?"
    Now here I'm like fuck let's just move along I don't want to be here for another hour. So I fib a little and say 1200 instead of 1900. TBH I didn't even know I had to pay taxes on a private sale so I really only fibbed just to speed things along. He doesn't say anything about the price but sends me inside to pay taxes.

I get inside and thank fuck there's not a big line up. I'm told to go right to the cashier to pay my taxes. I hand her the slip I got from the border guy and she says where's the receipt. I told here it was a private sale and there's no receipt. So she calls over her partner and he asks how I heard about it and I say craigslist. So they say which craigslist and start searching for the ad.

Meanwhile the guy is asking questions. "You said you had a machine previously to the other gaurd and sold it this morning, how much did you sell it for? "I tell him $2500" I'm literally so tired and burnt out I'm just robotically answering questions and he's like "You came down right away after?" "Yes". So he's like " Can I see your wallet?" It's right on the counter from showing ID so I say sure. He goes through it takes out my cash and there's only $600 left. So he starts talking oh you sold for 2500 only spent 1200 on this but you have $600 left. So where's the rest of the money?

Obviously I come clean and I'm super genuine how I honestly didn't know about taxes on private sales and that I fibbed because I was wanting to get the ball moving after being on the road for like 11 hours and waiting in line for well over an hour alone. He could tell I was being sincere so rather than hitting me with the $500 lying fine he just hits me with the lying to someone in uniform lecture. I end up paying ~$200 in taxes and they let me go.

At least I'm driving again! Finally get back to my buddy's place near 10. Carry a machine down like my 4th set of stairs for the day. Set it up and am waaaaaay too tired to even play a game and leave to go drop my sister's truck back off.

Eventually I finally get home just before midnight and I can barely keep my eyes open and fall asleep basically as soon as I get in the door.

Now after all that bitching and complaining here's the good. I got a literally mint WPT. HUO the guy had it in his poker themed games room and probably played it about once a month. It's basically new in box and has never been played. After taxes and all the work did I over pay? I dunno, maybe. I also dealth with two guy's on craigslist that were absolute saints which is super rare so for that I consider myself lucky!

Alot of people hate on WPT but I find the theme fun and kitchy especially since I play poker for a living and there's no arguing that the rules are pretty awesome.

I don't really have any pictures yet because I was too pooped once I got it set up but I'm gonna head out later today and take a bunch and change lights and clean it ( guy had never had the glass off since he owned it lol)

So anywho that's my story and I just slept for 10 hours straight and needed every hour! I like to count that trip as my pinsider initiation.

#2 12 years ago

Holy wall of text. GL if any of you actually decide to read lol.

#21 12 years ago

Here's some pics.
    http://imgur.com/nD6fn,CKdn0,UtWFm,vBRHF,8kmHc,Njhyc,OvpN2
    Played for about 4 hours today. Man this game is fun. How it's not it's not top 100 or at least on the bang for buck list I'll never know. I mean I know it's a little fugly but boy is it ever a fun game and deep I feel like I've just scratched the surface. I can't wait to really get to know it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixsixtie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/long-ass-day-yesterday-border-screw-ups-but-ultimately-a-mint-machine?tu=sixsixtie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.