(Topic ID: 300723)

Lol - I can’t even come up with a title

By chickenscratch

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F4C2714B-D117-4EE3-9BDB-32F4C6C78755 (resized).jpeg
    64533CF1-2737-4A4E-9BD7-311CACBA7F84 (resized).png
    ace-ventura-ugly.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 2 years ago

I really think a large part of the problem has to do with inherent limitations of online forums + typical personality quirks of a pinhead.

Quite frankly, a lot of us pinheads are smartasses with irreverent senses of humor, and we tend to derive entertainment and pleasure endlessly taking the piss out of each other, with lots of good-natured ribbing and shit-talking along the way. This is all great fun and good for a lot of laughs, and engenders friendship and comradery when the interactions occur IN-PERSON in normal settings (parties, arcades, expos, bowling alleys, pubs, etc.).

Online, all bets are off though, because none of the non-verbal stuff that normally serves during face-to-face interactions to provide "context clues" that the ribbing is good-natured and intended to be fun and light-hearted translates well in mostly text online interactions (judicious use of emojis can help a little, but is woefully inadequate to fully compensate). Therefore, things can get misinterpreted and incorrect conclusions are drawn, and hurt feelings, anger, and resentment can be the result, leading to some of the malignant posting and sniping that is sometimes seen here. Also, it's easier to suspend whatever form of "bad mood" we happen to be experiencing in a social/party/pinball setting than it is sitting alone in isolation with a tablet or computer, which no doubt contributes to a more positive vibe and less risk of being offended.

I don't know what the solution is other than to individually try to extend grace and liberally give each other the "benefit of the doubt", while also learning to retrain our brains to be a little less quick to jump into "defensive" and "counter-attack" mode (IOW, develop thicker skin).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lol-i-cant-even-come-up-with-a-title?tu=thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.