(Topic ID: 97007)

Locomotion---- A Zaccaria love story. :)

By CaptainNeo

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

website coindoor outside.jpg
bezel finals 001.jpg
bezel finals 003.jpg
bezel finals 004.jpg
bezel finals 002.jpg
chrome_girl_by_willdial-d48a74y.jpg
almost finished 001.jpg
almost finished 004.jpg
almost finished 006.jpg
almost finished 005.jpg
cabinet head done 001.jpg
cabinet head done 003.jpg
cabinet before and after.jpg
playfield finished 004.jpg
playfield finished 005.jpg
playfield finished 002.jpg
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

So this began about a year ago when I did a 3 state tour to pick up this machine and all the parts I needed to make this restoration possible. A 36 hour round trip. Went to IA to pick up the machine. Then out to NB to get the boards and extra plastics for it. Then on the way back to MO to pick up a replacement backglass since the original is cracked all over the place. Sat here for a year, waiting for the time for me to finally dig my paws in and start the restoration process. I've been dreading it and putting it off because the whole thing looks like someone gave it a salt water bath. So here is the story. Lets see how nice I can make this look.

Btw, the cabinet is trashed, and like mostly all zaccarias, stencils are not an option. Way to much small detail that stencils cannot do. So my only options are, either have sets of screens made like I did for Robot. Or paint it all by hand, which is the route i'm going on this one. So lets take a look at this piece of shit.

website coin door.jpgwebsite coin door.jpg
website coindoor outside.jpgwebsite coindoor outside.jpg
website head.jpgwebsite head.jpg
website right side cab.jpgwebsite right side cab.jpg
website tilt level.jpgwebsite tilt level.jpg
website transformers.jpgwebsite transformers.jpg

web ball kciker.jpgweb ball kciker.jpg web shooter lane.jpgweb shooter lane.jpg web transformer board.jpgweb transformer board.jpg
#2 9 years ago

as you can see, this thing is a pile of crap. It's not even converted and must have sat on the beach over in europe, uncovered. Inside of the cabinet is filthy. Rust on every damn thing, every socket is corroded or rusty. One of the most difficult restoration projects I ever had to endure.

website top corner.jpgwebsite top corner.jpg
webpage inside.jpgwebpage inside.jpg
website backglass.jpgwebsite backglass.jpg
website bottom left corner.jpgwebsite bottom left corner.jpg
website drop bank.jpgwebsite drop bank.jpg
website left side playfield.jpgwebsite left side playfield.jpg

website center before disassmble.jpgwebsite center before disassmble.jpg website centr rusty.jpgwebsite centr rusty.jpg website lower playfield before.jpgwebsite lower playfield before.jpg website middle playfield before.jpgwebsite middle playfield before.jpg website pop area.jpgwebsite pop area.jpg website rusty diverters.jpgwebsite rusty diverters.jpg website rusty shit.jpgwebsite rusty shit.jpg website upper payfield.jpgwebsite upper payfield.jpg website upper playfield before.jpgwebsite upper playfield before.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Now for the actual progress i'm doing. Touched up the yellow drop targets and protected them. Tumbled as much as I could, and/or soaked them in evaporust. Many things came out great. More things were accomplished tonight. Playfield is almost completely touched up and ready for clearcoating. All lamp sockets have been removed and tumbled or derusted. Taking apart anything I can. Difficult because the entire lamp matrix is ground braided. As well as the GI's. :/

website parts tumbled.jpgwebsite parts tumbled.jpg
website sandblasted protectors.jpgwebsite sandblasted protectors.jpg
website yellow targets restored.jpgwebsite yellow targets restored.jpg

#4 9 years ago

So I got a lot of things in the cabinet cleaned up. Took the entire transformer setup off. Sandblasted the guards, repainted them. Sanded the mounting board off and painted with high gloss paint to repel dirt for the future. Also printed new paperwork for the entire board. Everything except the transformers has been tumbled or derusted.

locomotion cleaned 003.jpglocomotion cleaned 003.jpg locomotion cleaned 004.jpglocomotion cleaned 004.jpg locomotion cleaned 006.jpglocomotion cleaned 006.jpg locomotion cleaned 007.jpglocomotion cleaned 007.jpg locomotion cleaned 008.jpglocomotion cleaned 008.jpg locomotion cleaned 001.jpglocomotion cleaned 001.jpg
#5 9 years ago

cabinet is coming along. Got one of the sides of the head touched up. Will be clearcoating it soon.

Playfield is touched up and clearcoated. Coin door is about done. Finally stripped off the powdercoat on the edging, and repainted it. Took the side rails off.

locomotion cleaned 020web.jpglocomotion cleaned 020web.jpg locomotion cleaned 021web.jpglocomotion cleaned 021web.jpg locomotion cleaned 022web.jpglocomotion cleaned 022web.jpg locomotion cleaned 023web.jpglocomotion cleaned 023web.jpg locomotion cleaned 025web.jpglocomotion cleaned 025web.jpg locomotion cleaned 026web.jpglocomotion cleaned 026web.jpg locomotion cleaned 027web.jpglocomotion cleaned 027web.jpg locomotion cleaned 028web.jpglocomotion cleaned 028web.jpg locomotion cleaned web 021.jpglocomotion cleaned web 021.jpg
#6 9 years ago

and one more just to make sure.

locomotion cleaned 016web.jpglocomotion cleaned 016web.jpg
#7 9 years ago

Bravo sir. That's the spirit!

#8 9 years ago

Nice! Can't wait too watch it come back from the dead!~SpOoKy

#9 9 years ago

Wow - that is called shitty condition. Congrats to you for taking that project on - I have never seen this pin before.

BG and the PF art look cool though -

#10 9 years ago

Seriously impressed. 36 hours for that game huh? Does this one have nostalgia for you? Curious why all that work is going into such a beater. Pumped to see the final product though!

#11 9 years ago

Makes me appreciate the nice one rvdv has even more!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

36 hours for that game huh? Does this one have nostalgia for you? Curious why all that work is going into such a beater. Pumped to see the final product though!

A Locomotion, when properly restored, is a beautiful pin...and the game is fairly good as well !
This is worth the effort!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Seriously impressed. 36 hours for that game huh? Does this one have nostalgia for you? Curious why all that work is going into such a beater. Pumped to see the final product though!

Not at all. Never played or seen this game before in my life. But I have a love for most Zaccaria's in general. It's super rare and told a pretty awesome game. So I pulled the trigger on it.

#14 9 years ago

Locomotion has one of the nicest backglasses I have ever seen.

I had a chance to pick one up a few years ago but the boards were missing so I passed.

#15 9 years ago

boards were missing in this one too. Seems to be a common thing.

#16 9 years ago

Like the Robot thread, Im going to be glued to this one... go Neo..

#18 9 years ago

New pictures added. Inside the cabinet parts have been cleaned up. Working on the coin door next.

#19 9 years ago

i have a super nice unpopulated pf if you are interested

#20 9 years ago

got the coin door cleaned up and back together last night. I'll have pics soon.

#22 9 years ago

Looking good! Love the pf train tracks~SpOoKy

#23 9 years ago

Looking great so far. Ton of work. I am sure finished product will be worth it.

#24 9 years ago

I'll be following this thread for sure.
Nice work Neo.
You are definitely fearless when it comes to restoration.

#25 9 years ago

what kind of sucks, is that I have 2 sets of plastics for this game, and both of them 2 of the plastics are broken in the same spots. Seems to be a common issue. The center special tunnel has a crack up one side, and the left green piece with the grave stone looking things has the entrance blown out. :/ Even people that have random plastics sitting around have these pieces broken.

#26 9 years ago

If anyone has the center tunnel loop plastic that is NOT cracked up one of the corners. Let me know, i'd be interested in buying. Damage around the screw holes is unavoidable and acceptable.

#27 9 years ago

Wow!! Killer job on touching up the playfield! Did you just spray paint and add clear on top? Curious how you got it so nice!

#28 9 years ago

What an amazing looking game!
Great work so far. That's going to be sweet!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Wow!! Killer job on touching up the playfield! Did you just spray paint and add clear on top? Curious how you got it so nice!

Just did all the touchups by hand. Just like I usually do. I've been restoring playfields for 9 years, so it goes fairly easy since I have the materials here for it, and i'm really good at color matching.

#30 9 years ago

both sides of the head are now done. Have to do the back and edges, then it's ready for clearcoating.

#31 9 years ago

Holy shit. Now I have a setback. While repopulating the playfield last night, I took a glance at the display backbox board. realized there are wood slots on the backbox, looking like a board goes there. Well holy shit, pictures off the net confirmed it. A board I don't think I own. Anyone have one of these they can sell me?

thisfuckingboard.jpgthisfuckingboard.jpg

#32 9 years ago

Isn't that the sound board - 1B1146/2 ?
If I recall this one was specific to locomotion (as opposed to other gen1 games that used the b1125)

#33 9 years ago

I think it's the sound and display driver board all in one.

#34 9 years ago

It's only the sound board and it's specific for the Locomotion (as indicated by luvthatapex) because it integrates a "chuff chuff" train sound on background.
The displays are driven by the cpu, and the ribbon cable carries the information both for the display and both for the sound board.
Is not easy to find another one here in Italy... but if I had to find one, I'll let you know.

#36 9 years ago

That pin is fortunate to get such a good home. Great job Neo !

LTG : )™

#37 9 years ago

Wow what a difference a few weeks makes from when I saw her!!!

#38 9 years ago

FYI.. There's a semi populated locomotion PF on eBay... Maybe a lead to see if he has that board... good luck

#39 9 years ago

I just like the fact a Euro pin is getting some HEP-like restoration love.

#40 9 years ago

well, it's not getting as extensive as HEP as far as restoration goes, but i'm doing what I can. Problem is, I really can't replace anything with new. Stuff here and there I can, but for the most part, I have to use what I have. Which makes things very difficult at times.

#41 9 years ago

sorry I havn't had any updates for awhile. Repopulating is a very slow process due to the fact of having to pick out tumbling medium out of every damn phillips screw head before using it. Plus, I tumbled everything together and have to now figure out what screws go where. Long process.

#42 9 years ago

I guess I did have the sound board. Forgot I had already had it. Just confirmed all is well and good.

#43 9 years ago

Nice!!! From in unobtainium to obtained!!

#44 9 years ago

yes, it scared the shit out of me. I did have a source to get one if I did need it. Was expensive tho.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I guess I did have the sound board. Forgot I had already had it. Just confirmed all is well and good.

Hilarity!

#46 9 years ago

I don't have my boards right now, that's why I didn't know. I have someone else getting them pimped out since I know jack shit about Gen 1. All my other zacs are Gen 2.

2 weeks later
#47 9 years ago

Fantastic work Neo. Almost pulled the trigger on a Farfalla for $1k yesterday. Would have done it if someone hadn't already beat me to it. Keep up the good work! Sometime, I gotta come up to Burlington and try all your Zacs. Nobody seems to own any here in Indy.

#48 9 years ago

indeed. This process is slow. Trying to figure out what screws go where right now and how everything goes back together. No pictures to post as of yet.

3 weeks later
#49 9 years ago

Well. Playfield is back to being populated. I have to put on the back piece which i'm using my epoxy repair technique on right now, but overall she's done. Half of the cabinet is touched up as well.

With the plastics. Some are chipped out in places. Seems every set i've seen are chipped out in the same places. So, I tried a technique that actually worked out really well. I'd tape off and form the area like I want with packing tape. Then using clear epoxy glue, i'd fill in the area. Once dry peel off the tape and paint it from the inside to duplicate the art. Worked fantastic and very happy with the results as you can see with my before and after pic.
completed plastic fixed.jpgcompleted plastic fixed.jpg
completed playfield 003.jpgcompleted playfield 003.jpg
completed playfield 001.jpgcompleted playfield 001.jpg
completed playfield 002.jpgcompleted playfield 002.jpg

#50 9 years ago

awesome to see this coming back to life. Zacc Gen 2 are some really awesome 80's pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/locomotion-a-zaccaria-love-story and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.