(Topic ID: 310320)

Lockdown bar bash button - what pinball machine best implements these?

By Electronmagic

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

665E9158-6144-4F68-BB81-8DF73468F4C9 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

The first machine I played that had a button on the lockdown bar was Black Rose and I'm pretty sure it gave me carpal tunnel syndrome swimming from that shark. Now it seems like these buttons are a fixture on most machines.

So... what game you think best implements this button and why?

Also, if anyone has ever compiled a list of exactly what the button does on every game I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Star Wars and JJP Pirates. Love having to bash the button while the ball is in play

#3 2 years ago

Best implementation in Riverboat gambler as they serve a purpose given the theme.
Most modern machines not so much.

665E9158-6144-4F68-BB81-8DF73468F4C9 (resized).jpeg665E9158-6144-4F68-BB81-8DF73468F4C9 (resized).jpeg

#4 2 years ago

Stern Star Trek

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Best implementation in Riverboat gambler as they serve a purpose given the theme.
Most modern machines not so much.
[quoted image]

Beat me to it. Been in my collection from almost the beginning.
I still can't figure out the action button in Black Knight sword of rage.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I still can't figure out the action button in Black Knight sword of rage.

Seriously?! It activates the magna save.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7 2 years ago

Stern Star Wars. The rules around the button guarantee that anyone that chooses to not use it is likely going to get DESTROYED in a tournament. I love it. I'm not afraid to trap up and headbutt that sucker if I need to change the bonus shots.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Stern Star Wars. The rules around the button guarantee that anyone that chooses to not use it is likely going to get DESTROYED in a tournament. I love it. I'm not afraid to trap up and headbutt that sucker if I need to change the bonus shots.

Never thought of that. I'll have to try it sometime.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Watching a casual play that machine and NOT hit the button to destroy tie fighters is both hilarious and maddening. There is a sound cue, smash that thing! Having said that it's not exactly intuitive and I will gladly help a stranger out if they stick around for a few games, I just don't like being "that guy" telling someone how to play, especially mid ball.

On the other hand, it is also hilarious to watch a seasoned player want to smash said button and watch their brain melt as they try to manipulate 3 buttons with 2 hands and manage the ball if it isn't trapped.

I have seen a "beer belly" used effectively to hit that safely while keeping hands on the flippers. Damn me and my slender genes, I'd have to use a Baby Bjorn with a sack of flour/sugar as a substitute.

I can't say I have headbutted the action button but I have used my chin on both GoT and Deadpool while trapped up. BOOM!

#11 2 years ago

The more I play Godzilla the more I appreciate the strategy/risk-reward of using the heat ray. Seems like the time it takes for it to be activated is perfectly timed for complete chaos down by the flippers when you’re not trapped up. Come on, come on , come on..oh shit!

#12 2 years ago

SW Tie fighter is so great.

Godzilla Ray seems cool but I'm not 100% positive on rules yet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

SW Tie fighter is so great.
Godzilla Ray seems cool but I'm not 100% positive on rules yet.

They’re very similar execution to me when the ball(s) is untrapped. I’m all assholes and elbows trying to keep the ball in play and rapid fire/hold the action button on both. I like how both games use it for more than just a one slap “boom” button.

#14 2 years ago

Bash Button?
No...
Action Button Sir!

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Bash Button?
No...
Action Button Sir!

Alright.

#16 2 years ago

I've been looking at what these buttons do I noticed that a lockdown bar button has never been used on a Pat Lawlor game. Since Jersey Jack has them on their other machines, I'll infer that Pat Lawlor didn't care for them. Can anyone confirm this or know the story behind this?

#17 2 years ago

It seems like cheating, but I can lean my waistband on the action button to implement the heat ray on Zilla and still play pinball without to much disruption as I am only holding the button down. Unlike TMNT and SW where you have to repeatedly smash the button. I also feel like im cheating when I cross my arms on GB during reverse flippers when you trap over 100 ghosts. I gotta say its effective and works quite well. Does it take away some of the excitement ....perhaps.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

I also feel like im cheating when I cross my arms on GB during reverse flippers when you trap over 100 ghosts. I gotta say its effective and works quite well. Does it take away some of the excitement ....perhaps.

This has been the standard way of dealing with this mode since Springfield Mystery Spot in TSPP.

#19 2 years ago

None. I think those buttons are stupid. Except river boat gambler.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

None. I think those buttons are stupid. Except river boat gambler.

Does anyone hit the pass button?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, VA
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lockdown-bar-bash-button-what-pinball-machine-best-implements-these?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.