(Topic ID: 329811)

Locations that have dirty and broken games.

By OutlawTorn304

18 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31A96415-70C1-498A-9852-41A76D75CE47 (resized).jpeg
    890FC99C-B335-4070-9B48-174A39D97F1E (resized).jpeg
    AC984E2E-BAE8-4758-A081-56FCAB95E493 (resized).png
    0FD8DB2D-7238-4CC3-B2F4-EC1F4FB7F3D5 (resized).jpeg
    73EEA6F6-0F35-41DF-A9A0-A8965E715B79 (resized).jpeg
    55672EAE-B867-4F6B-8E69-0C1BA8056DCA (resized).jpeg
    0DC89F19-7E95-4469-A2D0-05A00B3EC1CD (resized).jpeg
    3D90F523-F3C8-42B5-B5B9-956EDC607D89 (resized).jpeg
    4d1ea2d5f25b09d2f091cf7bff113039b095b44a (resized).jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 18 days ago

I’m sick and tired of going out and playing public locations with modern games that are absolutely filthy and neglected. There is no excuse for it. I understand that some wear is normal but black playfields and glass so hazy you can’t see through it is not acceptable. Let’s list the locations that need to do some maintenance here and just maybe they will take note and fix their games.

My Top 3:
    Cidercade, Dallas TX
    Pins Mechanical, Cincinnati OH
    Suttree’s High Gravity Tavern, Knoxville TN

#2 18 days ago

running a route is hard.
    Most places use a local operator and that op probably hates pinball and rarely cleans or fixes the games, just collects the money. Once they get going they only fix if called and if they have to w/ bare minimum fixes. This has been common for many years :/

#3 18 days ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

running a route is hard.
    Most places use a local operator and that op probably hates pinball and rarely cleans or fixes the games, just collects the money. Once they get going they only fix if called and if they have to w/ bare minimum fixes. This has been common for many years :/

I never said it was easy but if you are there collecting money, drop the glass and wipe it down. Takes 5 minutes. I’m not asking for home use quality but somewhat cared for would be a huge improvement. I should also mention I have 9 pins and multiple video games on location as a side hustle. I also run my other business, balance a marriage, and run 3 kids to every sporting event or activity they are involved in and I manage to keep my games clean. I’m of the mindset that if you can afford to set 12 games in one location, you can afford to take the time or pay someone to keep them clean.

#4 18 days ago
    Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

I never said it was easy but if you are there collecting money, drop the glass and wipe it down. Takes 5 minutes. I’m not asking for home use quality but somewhat cared for would be a huge improvement. I should also mention I have 9 pins and multiple video games on location as a side hustle. I also run my other business, balance a marriage, and run 3 kids to every sporting event or activity they are involved in and I manage to keep my games clean. I’m of the mindset that if you can afford to set 12 games in one location, you can afford to take the time or pay someone to keep them clean.

There are some “museums” that look like this. It’s pathetic. I run a route with 10 games and it is a pain. I had 2 go down at the same time. Annoying!

However, if they have a full-time tech, there is straight up no excuse, the hell does the guy get paid to do? Nobody is busy 24/7.
    I wipe my games down pretty good once every 3 months.
    You can also wipe them every time you service, but if you shopped them the right way, you don’t really need too. I deep clean mine, and one of them I haven’t even touched it in 2 years, and it’s just now starting to look a bit rough. (It was my litmus test for how often things should be done) a shop-out/deep clean every 2 years is doable, and it helps keep the route issues to a minimum.

#5 17 days ago

Let's see some pictures of what you are taking about.

#6 17 days ago

I haven't been to the Pins Mechanical in Cincinnati, but I have been to the one at Easton in Columbus, and if that's any indication, I can certainly see why the machines are in disrepair. Huge place, tons of pins, and complete chaos with kids running everywhere. And I suspect the workers don't really care, they're just paid employees clocking in and clocking out.
    Food and drinks plus kids with sticky hands pounding on the buttons(why do they do that anyways) can only result in an unpleasant experience for serious players.

#7 17 days ago

That would cost money I have two locations here with games. The local op has two locations with one game each and used to have more. They hate pinball and their games break all the time. Takes them a call from the bar owner and it usually is the base level fix, not sure on clean. I’m with you, but our hobby is pinball. This is just a job for the repair/collect guy so they just don’t care as long as it takes a quarter. But a cleaner pin would make more :shrug:

I also like cleaning and waxing our games as it makes them drain faster :-p

#8 17 days ago

Guessing they are talking about pins like this ...

This is available to play in local arcade

4d1ea2d5f25b09d2f091cf7bff113039b095b44a (resized).jpg
    #9 17 days ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Let's see some pictures of what you are taking about.

Smeared black, broken pop bumpers, etc. just nasty and played like shit.

0DC89F19-7E95-4469-A2D0-05A00B3EC1CD (resized).jpeg0FD8DB2D-7238-4CC3-B2F4-EC1F4FB7F3D5 (resized).jpeg3D90F523-F3C8-42B5-B5B9-956EDC607D89 (resized).jpeg55672EAE-B867-4F6B-8E69-0C1BA8056DCA (resized).jpeg73EEA6F6-0F35-41DF-A9A0-A8965E715B79 (resized).jpeg
    #10 17 days ago

Yikes!

#11 17 days ago

I don't even understand how they get that dirty

#12 17 days ago

Smeared black, broken pop bumpers, etc. just nasty and played like shit.

The common denominator of the smeared black is black rubbers being used on the machines.
    The best thing to do even with a brand new machine with black rubbers is to re-rubber the machine with white rubbers or the silicone variety is even better.
    -Mike

#13 17 days ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

The common denominator of the smeared black is black rubbers being used on the machines.
    The best thing to do even with a brand new machine with black rubbers is to re-rubber the machine with white rubbers or the silicone variety is even better.
    -Mike

Even better is if the manufacturers would stop shipping with black rings!

#14 17 days ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

This is correct ..
    However the Beatles in that pic also had drop target and other issues making the gameplay incomplete

#15 17 days ago

There's minimal increase in revenue for a well maintained game. Most casuals don't know or care. Pinball should cost $2.00 a play at the cost of today's equipment and labor to keep them running. Something has to give so you end up getting a dirty game at a budget price.

It's funny how someone would rather spend 50 cents to play four games on a dirty worn out broke ass machine then spend $2 for one game on a well maintained dialed in machine. I just don't understand it.

The fact they are that dirty shows that they're getting play so why would the operator care? Box is full of coins.

#16 17 days ago

My Godzilla can get that dirty within just a couple days. We are on free play so it gets hammered pretty good.

I try to wipe down each machine every other week - which is really only every 8 days of being open - but with repairs and running the business time is limited.

Quick wipe downs on godzilla and Rush don’t last long. Neil’s nose gets dirty again within an hour.

#17 17 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

There's minimal increase in revenue for a well maintained game. Most casuals don't know or care. Pinball should cost $2.00 a play at the cost of today's equipment and labor to keep them running. Something has to give so you end up getting a dirty game at a budget price.
    It's funny how someone would rather spend 50 cents to play four games on a dirty worn out broke ass machine then spend $2 for one game on a well maintained dialed in machine. I just don't understand it.
    The fact they are that dirty shows that they're getting play so why would the operator care? Box is full of coins.

Here's what's funny. When the games get cleaned the revenue can drop. I know this firsthand on many spots. Players are accustomed to making their shots a certain way and get to know the game. It slowly gets dirty so people don't mind. Clean it all up and a coat of wax and people get thrown off their game and get frustrated.

#18 17 days ago

We are spoiled up here with a good 18 locations.
    Public and semi public (clubs) in a 100 mile circumference of the greater Boston area.

---Now, a warning: A diatribe is coming if you read further.---
    Can't provide pics - as it's off season. (Wish I could - it's quite a sight)
    But the absolute worse conditioned games can be found in:
    Playland arcade: Hampton Beach, NH

This place is a disgrace.
    They are robbing people and children by even having them on the floor, which really hurts pinball overall.
    TSPP
    AFM
    TAF
    Austin Powers
    RCT
    All filthy, broken, completely unplayable...and every year they open and they are still on the floor in a state of disarray.

They even got some new titles over the last few years.
    2017: Aerosmith
    2018: IMDN
    2019: Munsters

They have not done ONE thing to clean or repair any!

I don't know how anyone can downvote this thread, because it is a problem and the people that run these places should be ashamed.

#19 17 days ago

Can’t make anybody do anything. You can choose not to support that location by not putting any money in there. I suppose it’s the same idea that never works with NIB prices. People always complain and say vote with the wallet, doesn’t seem to work. Prices keep going up and locations get dirty, that’s pinball I suppose.

#20 17 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Yeah after running these new stern pro's and their cost, the $2 a game sounds better. We have one location with a sopranos and the regulars ONLY want to play it, no matter condition they'll just hammer on that game. It's been at the same bar since nib....I dont get how people can play that game an hour everyday....

#21 17 days ago

Locations that have dirty and broken games.

Okay, I'll admit I'm guilty as charged. But how did you know?
    My house is not open to the public and you've never been here.

#22 17 days ago

I’m sick and tired of going out and playing public locations with modern games that are absolutely filthy and neglected. There is no excuse for it. I understand that some wear is normal but black playfields and glass so hazy you can’t see through it is not acceptable. Let’s list the locations that need to do some maintenance here and just maybe they will take note and fix their games.
    My Top 3:
    Cidercade, Dallas TX

Have you gone through the proper channels to report issues?

#23 17 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I don't even understand how they get that dirty

It’s the black rubber. It happens after about 2k plays or so without cleaning it.

#24 17 days ago

What is all that black build up?

#25 17 days ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

What is all that black build up?

Black rubber.

#26 17 days ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Guessing they are talking about pins like this ...
    This is available to play in local arcade
    [quoted image]

The good news is that dirt will protect that playfield when purchased by an entusiaist.

#27 17 days ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Here's what's funny. When the games get cleaned the revenue can drop. I know this firsthand on many spots. Players are accustomed to making their shots a certain way and get to know the game. It slowly gets dirty so people don't mind. Clean it all up and a coat of wax and people get thrown off their game and get frustrated.

I've found that when my games are about 1/4th dirty, they play and earn the best. Want to see income drop and frustrated players, all you have to do is clean and wax.

LTG : )

#28 17 days ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

But a cleaner pin would make more

Sadly, not always true. Some pins or locations, just don't earn.

#29 17 days ago

My Top 3:
    Cidercade, Dallas TX

Funny, last time I was at Cidercade, I thought it had an exceptionally high number of games in good working condition. All I can remember was a broken Tron, I think it was. Everything in the front room was perfect

#30 17 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funny, last time I was at Cidercade, I thought it had an exceptionally high number of games in good working condition. All I can remember was a broken Tron, I think it was. Everything in the front room was perfect

We were there in August. Video games were in pretty good shape but the pins were wrecked. Metallica was hanging by a thread

#31 17 days ago

A fairly good sign I’ve seen is whether the location has a pinball league or not. Pinball league players are not going to pay good money to play on broken down machines. I agree rest of the public does not care what state they are in. I’ve been to many a museum that should be relabeled “the museum of broken pinball machines”. As much as it pains me to say it PHOF and nearer to me Asheville have fallen into that category (at least when I last visited 18 months ago). If a machine is chronically not working or looking good we pull it off the floor.

In their defense, hood help is hard to find. For most OPs this is a side job and thus when more important life events come up they can be neglected for a while

#32 17 days ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

A fairly good sign I’ve seen is whether the location has a pinball league or not.

Put me down for "not".

#33 17 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have you gone through the proper channels to report issues?

Someone is visiting these games every week to collect the money. They know they are nasty and have broken parts, they just don’t care. Me bringing it to their attention would be redundant. Again, I’m not asking for NIB spotless, just reasonably maintained.

#34 17 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Put me down for "not".

Yes, but you are LTG. Don’t have to have a pinball league, but lacking that you definitely have to have an LTG-esque presence running the place

#35 17 days ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

We are spoiled up here with a good 18 locations.
    Public and semi public (clubs) in a 100 mile circumference of the greater Boston area.
    ---Now, a warning: A diatribe is coming if you read further.---
    Can't provide pics - as it's off season. (Wish I could - it's quite a sight)
    But the absolute worse conditioned games can be found in:
    Playland arcade: Hampton Beach, NH
    This place is a disgrace.
    They are robbing people and children by even having them on the floor, which really hurts pinball overall.
    TSPP
    AFM
    TAF
    Austin Powers
    RCT
    All filthy, broken, completely unplayable...and every year they open and they are still on the floor in a state of disarray.
    They even got some new titles over the last few years.
    2017: Aerosmith
    2018: IMDN
    2019: Munsters
    They have not done ONE thing to clean or repair any!
    I don't know how anyone can downvote this thread, because it is a problem and the people that run these places should be ashamed.

A few miles south in Salisbury there’s an awful place. Joe’s Playland is ok at best, but the place around the corner facing the beach and little wooden walkway they built is inexcusably bad. They have had an SWT forever that barely can flip a ball, a rusting DE JP, and a Monopoly with broken rubbers galore. Like how can you power those on each day like that?

A lot of people will defend location pinball here. Yeah yeah yeah, operating is hard and all that jazz. But like my dad taught me “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right”. Pinballs require maintenance. If you can’t do that, don’t put them on the floor.

#36 17 days ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

A few miles south in Salisbury with an awful place. Joe’s Playland is ok at best, but the place around the corner facing the beach and little wooden walkway they built is inexcusably bad. They have had an SWT forever that barely can flip a ball, a rusting DE JP, and a Monopoly with broken rubbers galore. Like how can you power those on each day like that?
    A lot of people will defend location pinball here. Yeah yeah yeah, operating is hard and all that jazz. But like my dad taught me “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right”. Pinballs require maintenance. If you can’t do that, don’t put them on the floor.

This^^^ couldn’t have said it any better

#37 17 days ago

Someone is visiting these games every week to collect the money. They know they are nasty and have broken parts, they just don’t care. Me bringing it to their attention would be redundant. Again, I’m not asking for NIB spotless, just reasonably maintained.

Not true especially in Cincy. Got anything specific you remember so I can tell Ben and Trent?

#39 17 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not true especially in Cincy. Got anything specific you remember so I can tell Ben and Trent?

It was back in the summer when we were there but the games had obviously not been cleaned. A good wiping down of the playfield would go a long way.

#40 17 days ago

It was back in the summer when we were there but the games had obviously not been cleaned. A good wiping down of the playfield would go a long way.

So just a cleaning? Okay cool thanks.

#41 17 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sadly, not always true. Some pins or locations, just don't earn.

hahah, my locations :-p

#42 17 days ago

Someone is visiting these games every week to collect the money.

Well that depends, Cidercade you mentioned has pins on free play after the door fee. There are staff there all the time but don't know how often the techs are there. Visited the one in Houston fall of last year and they were pretty dirty but by having them on free play with black rubbers is going to escalate that.

#43 17 days ago

I went to a location recently that had six pins. We were there to play the brand new James Bond, which was clean and new.
    Good thing I did not want to play the Godzilla. Had never been cleaned once. Looked just like that Godzilla playfield shown.

I agree, wipe it down atleast.

#44 17 days ago

My best advise, go to locations that keep games running and clean and pay whatever they charge coin drop wise. It's usually the "cheaper" to play games that are blown out FROM my experience.

#45 17 days ago

Not always the case, but yes. No matter the coin drop price, support the locations that take good care of the games.

#46 17 days ago

Port Orleans - French Quarter back in august.

I know the right flipper rubber was replaced once in the last year. When I was there a year ago, no flipper rubber on the right flipper. Game was just as dirty then.
    890FC99C-B335-4070-9B48-174A39D97F1E (resized).jpeg

#47 17 days ago

Movie theater down the street from house… I do t understand why the op doesn’t unload these and replace with stern pros. Last time I was there not a single game was working. Yes, I have messaged the op a few times.

AC984E2E-BAE8-4758-A081-56FCAB95E493 (resized).png
    #48 17 days ago

My Top 3:
    Cidercade, Dallas TX

I am surprised to see cidercade on this list. I am a local, and I go there fairly frequently. I haven't really seen any issues.

They do have a technician that repairs/cleans at least once a week.

#49 17 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No matter the coin drop price, support the locations that take good care of the games.

And don't suggest to those locations that they go care for the games in locations that leave them to rot.

#50 17 days ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I am surprised to see cidercade on this list. I am a local, and I go there fairly frequently. I haven't really seen any issues.
    They do have a technician that repairs/cleans at least once a week.

Things might be different now. It was august when we were there. I remember Metallica being almost completely black and flipper so weak it hardly played.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/locations-that-have-dirty-and-broken-games- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.