Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D9E4A646-81E1-4825-85BC-0AC7D7C042D9 (resized).jpeg
    jerkatexpo (resized).jpg
    D31EBCD1-162C-4C50-9535-D33040A88608 (resized).jpeg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

So I took the family to a great location in Bethesda, MD yesterday called VUK. I've been there several times but never brought my wife and kid. The wife is really over pinball but she still puts up with it. My son likes to play and has some good skills but is generally more interested in video games

Anyway we are in the area and stop In because I don't get up there all that often. My son spots an IMDN in the lineup, and gets super excited because they are his favourite band - even took him to see them last summer.

A guy is on the IMDN, playing for a minute or two but then catches the ball and has a looong conversation with some other guy, plays some more, talks to the guy.. my
    Son is standing next to the guy clutching quarters for 15 minutes, and he doesn't get off
    The machine. We order a slice of pizza and a drink. Eat that. The guy is still on the machine. My son and I play Star Wars.. he is still on IMDN. All told, we are there for 45 minutes and we end up having to go - nobody gets a game in. So here's my question - what the hell?? How do you not get off a machine after 45
    Minutes with an 8 year old kid standing next to you?
    This guy looked about 50, so no excuses for being young.

What's the general level of ettiquette for this situation? Am I off base asking him when he's going to be done, or to just plain take a break? He was racking up good scores (500M I think) so he's obviously gotten in a lot of time playing it. Very disappointing.

#2 5 years ago

You ask politely if you can play and accept the answer you get politely.

#3 5 years ago

I'd have politely asked the guy. "Excuse me, can my son get a game in before we have to leave?"
    Any sensible person would oblige.

#4 5 years ago

In "the old days", you'd put a quarter on the glass to signal you're next up.

I agree with the other posters, you politely ask.

The rules for coin drop playing are different than at a show, I wouldn't automatically assume someone to just rotate out if they're pumping money in.

#5 5 years ago

Well it depends. Is he starting new games? Or was this just one insanely long game. If he was mashing the start button, the guy was a dick.

I’ve been in that situation. And the thing to do is just step aside and let the kid play. If I have free games sitting on the game, I’ll let him just play one of those.

Unfortunately if the guy was just a dink, there’s nothing to be done to fix it. People are what they are.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Well it depends. Is he starting new games? Or was this just one insanely long game. If he was mashing the start button, the guy was a dick.
    I’ve been in that situation. And the thing to do is just step aside and let the kid play. If I have free games sitting on the game, I’ll let him just play one of those.
    Unfortunately if the guy was just a dink, there’s nothing to be done to fix it. People are what they are.

I'm not clear onhow many games he played; it was at least 3 - are the ball times on IMDN that long?

#7 5 years ago

Too bad IMDN is a solo game. No multiple player options is a real issue in code I hear.

That just sucks. You're a better person than me, I probably would have spoken up a few times. It's tough with kids around though, never what you're going to get from people.

#8 5 years ago

Sorry to hear about that. I do think you should have politely asked if you could get a game in. And any sensible person would have done so... I do know I always try to notice if people queue up behind me or around me when I play. I go to a free play arcade on most weekends and I try not to hog a machine too long. But, if I'm trying to get the replay knocker to sound off, sometimes I can stay a bit longer... But, I always look around and make sure no one is waiting on me... Sometimes people want to get on Bride of Pinbot or Road Show.
    I hope you and your son make it back out there and play on Iron Maiden. Only fitting that a great band gets a great pin. Tell your son up the irons for me. And I really hope there new tour makes its way to the US.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm not clear onhow many games he played; it was at least 3 - are the ball times on IMDN that long?

The guy may have paid the $2 for 3 credits? I think etiquette would allow the guy the finish his credits. However, I am sure a simple “hey man that was a good game! Would you mind if my son played a round with you?” Would have been all it took. Most of us love to see the next generation interested in playing and welcome the idea of playing with another person. I usually leave credits and tell the kids, there’s a few games on there if you want them.

#10 5 years ago

Same thing happened to us when #TWD first came out. We went down to our local arcade and saw the one person was playing it. We walked around played other games then circled back (about 30 mins later) but he was still on the machine. I noticed he had a fair bit of credit on the machine so we went to grab some food. We came back an hour later and this guy was still on the machine. We tried to be obvious that we wanted a go without impeding his game.Once I noticed he had a little cooler under the machine I knew he was going to be there for the long haul. Just wish we had the guts to politely ask if we could have had one go, but alas we didn’t. We left disappointed. Not sure if these types of players are aware of their surroundings (obviously not), but I know when I play I do look around to see if anyone else is standing around to have a go.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

The guy may have paid the $2 for 3 credits?

Ah... that's a reasonable thought. Often machines will reward you for dumping in money. Of course he would be entitled to finish what he paid for.

Is someone really an asshole if the operator is trying to entice someone to dump more money in and that means they'll be on the machine for a while?

#12 5 years ago

So... here's my take on this. I consider myself a well above average player. I've put up a number of 20+ minute games on IMDN, even a few longer ones on location. I've also had a number of people, for one reason or another, content with watching me play. This happened just last week in the Coin Taker section on both Guardians and Iron Maiden. Now, me personally, before I hit the start button, I've ALWAYS looked around me to see if there are other players waiting, and will ask them if they wish to join me (as I love multi-player games and meeting people) or play a game themselves. But that's just me. In the case last week, one lady wanted to join me, and another said "No thanks! I'm just in awe watching you play!" and I turned beet red.

You're making an assumption that this guy knew that your son wished to play. Pinball is an interesting hobby with a LOT of introverted people who aren't big on making conversation. So, maybe he thought your son was content on watching him? The only "dick move" I saw there was sitting there mid game, having a conversation on his phone. To me that's unacceptable. However, I cannot fault him for playing on if neither you nor your son spoke up. You could have also taken the route of asking the employees what the policy was for getting in on an occupied game.

I've been to VUK many times and will continue to support it when I'm in DC on business. They always have a "A" lineup with everything on 50 cents a play (so the $2 for 3 plays isn't a thing here ovfdfireman). The pizza is great and the clientele are usually pretty awesome.

Give it another shot, but next time don't be shy. If you're not a talker the old "putting quarters down on the lock down bar" in between balls is still a thing.

Good luck and happy pinballing.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

If you're not a talker the old "putting quarters down on the lock down bar" in between balls is still a thing.

Nice. good to know.

#14 5 years ago

This could have been a good opportunity to show your son a positive social interaction with a stranger.

Quarters on the glass, or a "we stopped in for lunch, would you mind if we played a game before we had to go?" would have probably gone a long way. Maybe the guy thought your son was just watching him play. Some people are just oblivious and a polite "pardon me" gets their attention.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This could have been a good opportunity to show your son a positive social interaction with a stranger.

Totally agree this was a missed opportunity. I'm an introvert and running a league gives me an incentive to talk to others playing the machines. It's rare to get a negative response from someone when you approach them politely.

#16 5 years ago

If the machine is a card swipe or buy credits with your smartphone type, I wonder if it is acceptable to set your card or iPhone on the glass above the apron to indicate you are next.....

#17 5 years ago

It is so surprising to me that multiple people in this thread have been in this situation and chose to say nothing to the player. Haha. Why??

Just ask them for next game. Pay for their remaining credits if that’s a issue for them. If they are a reasonable person (highly likely) you’ll get to play.

#18 5 years ago

To be honest, as a player, I'd prefer someone just let me know they'd like to be up next, rather than me trying to size up why someone is standing around me.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

To be honest, as a player, I'd prefer someone just let me know they'd like to be up next, rather than me trying to size up why someone is standing around me.

Yeah I mean how do you know someone is wanting to play unless they tell you? This isn’t a pinball show where everyone is there to play pinball.

It is very common for people to just want to watch someone else play on location. This is especially common with kids.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I mean how do you know someone is wanting to play unless they tell you? This isn’t a pinball show where everyone is there to play pinball.
    It is very common for people to just want to watch someone else play on location. This is especially common with kids.

Exactly. No one should be fearful of asking. That's silly.

#21 5 years ago

This is a reasonable discussion though, in light of how often "Pinball Show Etiquette" pops up on pinside.

It's a good reminder than location/coin-drop play is a different beast and would have different etiquette.

#22 5 years ago

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It is so surprising to me that multiple people in this thread have been in this situation and chose to say nothing ...

some of us have a notion as to where that 'dont rock the boat' conditioning might have come from.

#24 5 years ago

The best thing to do in this situation is do absolutely nothing at the location and then come home and post here about it.

Gets results! And next time...you’ll be ready!!

#25 5 years ago

Oh come on. If we are going to get this thread off the rails we have to try harder.

The way to handle the situation is to get a fresh slice of pizza. While the cheese is still lava hot slap it on the back of his neck. While he's trying to get enough ice out of the soda machine to stop the pain you can slip in a quick game.

As a bonus be sure to ask him to stop screaming or he's going to have to pay for your next game.

Seriously, if you don't ask you won't get. But be nice and ask if he's going to be here a while can you slip in 'one' game. Otherwise he might be afraid if he steps aside you might be the one hogging the game for a while. And you don't waste a slice of pizza.

#26 5 years ago

Teach kids some patience and to politely ask.
    Last resort may be “bozo time” to the nut sack.
    D31EBCD1-162C-4C50-9535-D33040A88608 (resized).jpegD31EBCD1-162C-4C50-9535-D33040A88608 (resized).jpeg

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The best thing to do in this situation is do absolutely nothing at the location and then come home and post here about it.

Shouldn't you also post a clandestine picture of him from behind to go along with the story?

#28 5 years ago

Vocalization is key.
    You gotta let people know you would like to get next game. Otherwise how are they supposed to know your not just watching the game.

I try to be courteous and if I saw someone standing there (especially a kid) I would ask if they wanted next game. Not everyone is like that though. Doesn’t meen the dudes a dick. Pinball is full of socially ackward people that may not initiate that conversation. Be proactive.

Now that being said, I have no issue calling people out that are game hogs.
    I’ve even seen people at conventions do shit like start a 4 player game all by themselves so they don’t have to get off a machine while other people are waiting. I have no problem standing behind them and making comments about their poor etiquette, especially when there are kids waiting in line.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Teach kids some patience and to politely ask.
    Last resort may be “bozo time” to the nut sack.
    [quoted image]

Exactly. Make sure your kids know the capital of Thailand so they can teach others.

#30 5 years ago

Ya I agree with the majority here... I’m not a mind reader. I always remind my wife of that. Ask and be clear of what your asking for.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe take the person's pic and post it too. Like the guy at ExPo who bitched out Molly.

#32 5 years ago

If I had a dollar for every time some kid came up and not only just hovered over a game I was playing, but put their grubby didnt-wash-in-the-bathroom-and-just-ate-pizza hands on the siderails or GLASS.... I'd be retired. Before you bring out the pitchforks, keep in mind the prime location in Dallas for a LONG time was a place that's right next to a pizza joint, you're allowed to bring your own food and drink in, and it's frequently packed to the gills with hordes of kiddie-gamblers playing ticket games they have no legitimate chance to win all in hopes of turning that 35 bucks mom and dad let them spend (while they were too busy having a beer at the pizza place to actually interact with their child and teach them any kind of manners) into an 80 cent stuffed animal from China.

Also "HEY CAN I HAVE SOME TOKENS" I dunno, can you, kid? Do you have parents of your own? WTF is wrong with your upbringing that you think every strange adult is an ATM for you?

I would never, EVER, assume some rando kid was waiting on me to finish a game so they could play it...maybe Dallas is just full of trash parents raising trash children. I'd believe it. Gotta speak up, which I realize is tough for a kid (unless they want to mooch tokens apparently), but if you're the parent and you're right there? Yeah. Say something!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Maybe take the person's pic and post it too. Like the guy at ExPo who bitched out Molly.

LTG : )

jerkatexpo (resized).jpgjerkatexpo (resized).jpg
    #34 5 years ago

You need to ask. Wait until their game is finished, or at least before they shoot the next ball. Don't interrupt them during game play.

Most of my players will gladly leave someone join in, even share games. If done in this fashion.

LTG : )

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lol yes yes. I re-read my post and it certainly comes off just as complaining.

I should have phrased it more like - what is an appropriate way to let a player know we are trying to get the next game? But you guys have answered that for me. Interesting the amount of patience on this forum, as usual.

I suppose the whole thing with him standing there talking to the other guy for 10 minutes set me off in the first place, but it’s no excuse!

#36 5 years ago

Just put a quarter on the glass and wait for them to finish their game. If a game is busy we put a quarter up even if the games are on free play.

Most get the idea you would like a play. When they are done we ask "you want to play with us"?

#37 5 years ago

Interesting tid bit, my son and I were playing fish tales on location recently and we paid $1.50 for 3 credits with every intention of earning at least 1 credit. We earned 2.

During that first a game a young boy watched us play, as we started our second game that boy verbally got into watching “wow good shot” “how do you got so many balls.” This kid was probably 8 years old and it was so cool to see him interested. The second round my son managed to get a free credit and a high score, so 2 more credits came our way.

As we are about to start round 3 my son says to the youngster, do you want to join us? Kid said really? Yeah! But I don’t have any money. I actually bowed out to watch those two play the last of the credits. I am sure it was his first game of pinball ever, but ear to ear grins.

#38 5 years ago

Ended up doing a couple quick repairs on it while we were there too. It was probably the best campground arcade ever.

D9E4A646-81E1-4825-85BC-0AC7D7C042D9 (resized).jpegD9E4A646-81E1-4825-85BC-0AC7D7C042D9 (resized).jpeg
    #39 5 years ago

Variation,
    "Hello. May we join you on the next game? My son and I would like to play the machine too"

Agree with others, accept politely his response.

#40 5 years ago

Did the guy have a Pinball Star tote bag hanging on the cup holder? Did he also rage tilt?

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Did the guy have a Pinball Star tote bag hanging on the cup holder? Did he also rage tilt?

LOL that was me after we left .. haha

#42 5 years ago

I understand how you feel. I brought my family to a pay $10/person free play location and they had a ToM there. We specifically went so my 5 year old could play. My son would stand next to the game for a little bit then go play another while he waited for he person to be done. At one point the guy leaves the ToMand my son walks over to play. The guy left the game on ball 2 so he could hold the game while he talked to someone behind the counter for a while. I should have said something, but my temper can get away from me and didn’t want to make a scene.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I understand how you feel. I brought my family to a pay $10/person free play location and they had a ToM there. We specifically went so my 5 year old could play. My son would stand next to the game for a little bit then go play another while he waited for he person to be done. At one point the guy leaves the ToMand my son walks over to play. The guy left the game on ball 2 so he could hold the game while he talked to someone behind the counter for a while. I should have said something, but my temper can get away from me and didn’t want to make a scene.

See now that is bullshit. That would have made me super mad. I think I would have just played his ball. At least at the place I was at they have HUGE signs saying “if you leave a game or ball in play for any reason, another player may play it”.

My whole purpose for asking my original question (although I know it came off as bitching) was to clarify what you’re supposed to do, since there is such a variety of approaches. There does seem to be consensus on the quarters-on-the-glass approach. Which is ironic considering I had shown my kid how to do that on an arcade game he was playing, but for some bizarre reason it never occurred to me to do that on the Pinball. I think my parent hackles got raised since he was being rude to me kid

#44 5 years ago

In a free play setting I would just hold the start button and start a fresh game. He's not losing his dollar.

If he said something I would say "Sorry, no one was here" and keep playing.
    If he mentions his ball was in the shooter lane I'd say "you get lots of that in a free play location".
    If he continued I'd say "you did your dick move and now I'm doing mine".

Nothing he could do without getting thrown out.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Now, me personally, before I hit the start button, I've ALWAYS looked around me to see if there are other players waiting, and will ask them if they wish to join me (as I love multi-player games and meeting people) or play a game themselves.

+1

#46 5 years ago

Further, if it's a kid wanting to play the pin I'm on, and I've been crushing the game (probably ringing up at least one free credit), after my game, I turn around and ask the kid if he wants to play a game for free on my credit(s). Depending on the venue, a few times I've asked the kid's parent standing nearby if they mind me teaching their kid a few things about pinball (so that way no one freaks out about a stranger talking to their kid for an extended time), and then I show the kid the basics of flipping one flipper at a time, and the 1-2 shots to hit to start multiball or some other major feature. Hopefully I've spread the pinball bug to a couple kids over the years, so they can get away from the usual kiddie-gambling redemption games and enjoy our great hobby!

#47 5 years ago

Hang your pinball tote on the cup holder .
    He will get the idea.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Further, if it's a kid wanting to play the pin I'm on, and I've been crushing the game (probably ringing up at least one free credit), after my game, I turn around and ask the kid if he wants to play a game for free on my credit(s). Depending on the venue, a few times I've asked the kid's parent standing nearby if they mind me teaching their kid a few things about pinball (so that way no one freaks out about a stranger talking to their kid for an extended time), and then I show the kid the basics of flipping one flipper at a time, and the 1-2 shots to hit to start multiball or some other major feature. Hopefully I've spread the pinball bug to a couple kids over the years, so they can get away from the usual kiddie-gambling redemption games and enjoy our great hobby!

You are an exceptionally perceptive dude; I would be happy with half this awareness on location

#49 5 years ago

I always turn around and look to see if anyone might be waiting to play. If I have earned a free credit, and someone is waiting to play, I will just give it to them.

#50 5 years ago

Warning on the quarter thing - a lot of folks don't know what this means. I did it recently and the young couple playing got all bent out of shape about it. So that might not work that well. I'd suggest just talking to the person in between balls

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/location-ettiquette-question?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.