(Topic ID: 194867)

Local Tournament Formats- got any fresh ideas?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Philk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T3 (resized).jpeg
    T10 (resized).jpeg
    T2 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

We have a weekly $5 tournament every Friday at a small arcade I opened back in February. I'm happy to say we've had some decent participation with 10-18 people showing up weekly (and the word is slowly getting out there, I'm hoping in the fall it will build even more). All tournament fees go into the pot and I only make coin-up.

I have 20 machines to play on, with 16 of those being two player or more. Currently I run a head-to-head 3 strike knockout tournament (using either brackelope or matchplay). On the newer DMD's, a single game determines the match-- and on anything older (70's and 80's EM's and SS) it's a best of 3 to determine the match. After a certain time all games go to single game matches so as to not run too terribly late into the evening.

So, even though the software makes it super-easy to run a tournament this way, I'm wondering if anyone has any other tournament ideas that are easy to run? Trying to keep things fresh...

Thanks!

T2 (resized).jpegT2 (resized).jpegT10 (resized).jpegT10 (resized).jpegT3 (resized).jpegT3 (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Swiss time-limited format on matchplay.events, get in as many games as you can in 2 or 3 hours.
    It's nicer than strikes for the lower-tier players that would otherwise get knocked out after a few rounds to be able to play the whole time, and Swiss pairings mean you're always playing to go up or down the ladder. It's gone over pretty well in Austin and super easy to run on matchplay.

Like the sound of this! I'll definitely check it out on matchplay. Thanks for the info.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/local-tournament-formats-got-any-fresh-ideas?tu=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.