(Topic ID: 159507)

Living Beachside: Is it Bad for Pinball?

By MeatWithGravy

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

My wife and I moved to the beach May 1st and we love it! But, I was just reading an old thread about re-imports that said, to my horror, that machines that have been located on a coastline are to be avoided because the salty air will have caused all manner of problems.

Just a couple days ago, my brother and I were at Pinfest, our first pinball show, where I'd been shopping--unsuccessfully, I have to add--for my first pin. Do I need to give up my longstanding dream of someday owning a pinball because the air in my new home would damage my machine?

#2 3 years ago

There are probably some pinsiders who live by the beach with games and hopefully they will chime in . If all the the metal items in your home aren't rusting i don't see a big problem . Long term exposure to high humidity will do a lot of damage , get a humidity gage and monitor the levels were you plan to keep games

#3 3 years ago

In the house....climate controlled...your fine......now in the garage I would worry............Joey

#4 3 years ago

Yea if you live on the coast on the water I would keep the windows closed and AC on where the games are. I used to live in Daytona Beach on the beach side and this "film" would get on everything! But any game near on on water is subject to corrosion, I pick up a Fish Tales from a "fish camp" of all places, and you should have seen the inside of that game!!!

#5 3 years ago

There was a thread similar to this posted a few months ago. The OP there was moving to a beachside home in CA, I believe. The general consensus, if I recall correctly, was to try as hard as possible to keep the games in an area as climate controlled as possible. Namely humidity and the salty air. Both of those things will plank playfields and rust parts like no ones business.

#6 3 years ago

I think its also directly related to how close one is.

Ive had pins oceanside by the Atlantic, that the outside bolts starting rusting in 3 weeks.
    Ive had them go Longer on the Gulf Ocean, so I think thats salt in the air from waves.
    Equally, and recently, I have had a game in a garage about 3 miles from the beach, and affects are still there so I have used a Damp Rid container inside the game, covered the game in a tarp, and put a tray of
    Absorbing Kitty Litter underneath.
    Ill be watching this closely, to see, and may add a de-humidifier to the garage.
    Ive also limited this to a pin $1000 or under, as anything more, I would not want to risk.....

Time will tell, but generally be very careful, and check humidity, as mentioned. GL!

Something Sweet about playing pins by the Beach....takes me back to all the East Coast Boardwalks, and my youth!

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, fellas. Sounds like with a little effort, I'll be able to keep a handle on the humidity and my game will be fine. The search for that elusive first pin continues!

#8 3 years ago

If you can afford to live on the beach you can afford to toss your pin out and replace when it gets too rusty. Congrats on the move.

#9 3 years ago

I am going to say absolutely. I lived on long beech as a child and it is hard to find a house or bike without surface rust. Salt air and wind do not play nice with metal. Never saw these effects as bad on indoor things but suppose it will get to them eventually.

Rofl money to live there. 3 of us in pull behind camper at trailer park. Humble beginnings

#10 3 years ago

The distance from the water makes a big difference I think. I know around here that people who are right on the beach or within a block or 2 have issues with the salt air and corrosion of electronics in general. Us poor people that live a few miles away don't really see these effects.

I'm no meteorologist, but I would think that the humidity would not be that different between the beach area and inland. The humidity over here on the left side is generally not much of an issue, it just doesn't get humid here like it does in the midwest and east.

#11 3 years ago

I live on North Padre Island in Corpus Christi. I am literally surrounded by salt water. I keep pins in the garage, even during the 6 month summer when temps hover between 95 and 105 and humidity chimes in around 100% most days. I have not had a single moisture related problem. I DO keep all my back glasses in the climate controlled indoors areas. The beach is three blocks in one direction and there are saltwater canals right across the street.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 159.99
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside