New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 46085)

LIVE STREAM of PAPA Circuit final!

By DarthXaos

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Av8
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

There are people who browse the web without adblock?

Adblock potentially deprives Ustream of revenue. Without that ad revenue Ustream probably can't exist. Ustream's success is critically important to what PAPA is trying to achieve here.

I would join as a premium member before I would use Adblock on PAPA events.

#102 7 years ago

Can't PAPA join as a premium broadcaster and eliminate ads on their end? Not sure how much it costs, but it must be worth it if this is going to become a regular thing!

#103 7 years ago

I'm sure in time Papa can find sponsors to pay for a premium broadcast. Obviously that is the goal. If they can't, then the whole venture is doa.

they can run their own ads, etc.

#104 7 years ago

I would pay for some sort of "viewer membership" if this were done for all of their events.

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

Can't PAPA join as a premium broadcaster and eliminate ads on their end? Not sure how much it costs, but it must be worth it if this is going to become a regular thing!

And pay for it how? Apparently pinheads are more than happy to take their efforts without reward. Sorry, but ad blocking the things you obviously love leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. This is a niche market, the actions of every individual make a noticeable impact. If you want them to do this again then show them you support it, that's the only way they can decide "hey, there was enough money on the table here that next year let's step it up to premium" as opposed to "that was fun, but it cost us more than it was worth, too bad it failed".

#106 7 years ago

I enjoyed that enough that I would not only pay a small amount for the membership but would probably set up a laptop by my TV and watch events like a wrestling PPV. More belts! More title matches!

#107 7 years ago

Why not give pinball suppliers the opportunity to advertise to their target market? I'm sure there would be many that would be willing to compensate PAPA for live reads. In turn PAPA could use that money to pay for a premium membership (I'm not really clear on how much it costs or what's involved, mind you).

I would much rather have the announcers fill time with pinball advertisements than have a annoyingly loud commercial for random product interrupt the feed in the middle of play.

#108 7 years ago

Preread Powerpoint style ads for places like Pinball Life wouldn't bother me one bit. There is plenty of time between games to run small pieces like that.

#109 7 years ago

I think Stern and Jersey Jack should sponsor this. Anything that promotes pinball increases their bottom line. Sounds like a win-win.

#110 7 years ago

I would much rather have the announcers fill time with pinball advertisements than have a annoyingly loud commercial for random product interrupt the feed in the middle of play.

Speak for yourself, i went out last night and bought three cases of hair dye

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Adblock potentially deprives Ustream of revenue. Without that ad revenue Ustream probably can't exist. Ustream's success is critically important to what PAPA is trying to achieve here.
    I would join as a premium member before I would use Adblock on PAPA events.

If I were to become a regular user of the site then yes I would consider paying a sub. Using adblock is fine though. I consider it akin to to avoiding being shouted at or mugged in the street. Internet advertising is often incredibly crude and obnoxious. Using my ipad and youtube, I've watched the same unskippable 6 seconds of advert 30 times in a row. It's like they're trying to tip you over the edge and make you go on an killing spree or something. Sorry about potential missed earnings to internet companies but anything is ok when avoiding the scourge of advertising. Stick a donation link on your site and I'll pay you direct, just keep the internet clear of all that noise.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Stick a donation link on your site and I'll pay you direct, just keep the internet clear of all that noise.

There is a donation link on the GeekGamerTV Ustream page. It was there all day yesterday and is still there now. $2.29 via Paypal or you can change the amount.

Apps like Adblock also usually have the ability to temporarily disable them or to disable them for certain websites.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

If I were to become a regular user of the site then yes I would consider paying a sub. Using adblock is fine though. I consider it akin to to avoiding being shouted at or mugged in the street. Internet advertising is often incredibly crude and obnoxious. Using my ipad and youtube, I've watched the same unskippable 6 seconds of advert 30 times in a row. It's like they're trying to tip you over the edge and make you go on an killing spree or something. Sorry about potential missed earnings to internet companies but anything is ok when avoiding the scourge of advertising. Stick a donation link on your site and I'll pay you direct, just keep the internet clear of all that noise.

This.

If internet advertising had restrained itself to banner ads and hadn't come up with popups, popunders, unskippable video segments that interrupt what you're watching, etc, I wouldn't have bothered downloading adblock, at least on my home PC (need it at work because nobody wants their boss looking over their shoulder and seeing an Evony ad).

But since I've installed it, it defaults to on. And the internet marketers have only themselves to blame.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

There is a donation link on the GeekGamerTV Ustream page. It was there all day yesterday and is still there now. $2.29 via Paypal or you can change the amount.
    Apps like Adblock also usually have the ability to temporarily disable them or to disable them for certain websites.

Do you always donate to a site the first time you use them?

I don't see evidence of a donation to Pinside from you incidentally.

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Do you always donate to a site the first time you use them? You're awesome!

No. That's why I was NOT using Adblock.

See how that works? Use Adblock/Donate or let the ads run. It is only fair to do one of those two things to support what PAPA is trying to do here.

#116 7 years ago

I understand your argument but are you genuinely telling me that it's morally wrong to use Adblock on the Internet? I mean should we actually make an effort to buy the products that are advertised to us too? How far will you go to grease the corporate cogs? You do know just watching adverts doesn't make anyone any money don't you?

#117 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Look I understand your argument but are you genuinely telling me that it's morally wrong to use Adblock on the Internet? I mean do you actually make an effort to buy the products that are advertised to you too? How far will you go to grease the corporate cogs?

I don't consider it morally wrong to use in many cases.

It should be disabled when you're doing anything you truly care about. PAPA is the perfect example. Pinside would be as well if Pinside ever puts in ads. Or one could do something else to contribute like hit the Donate button.

If PAPA continues to put out broadcasts like this one you'd better believe I'll be hitting the Donate button myself. That broadcast was awesome.

#118 7 years ago

I'm never going to disable my Adblock. If someone needs money they should charge direct.

I don't like adverts.

#119 7 years ago

My guess, the amount of users who use Adblock is statistically very small and advertising rates take that into consideration.

Quoted from chocky909:

I'm never going to disable my Adblock. If someone needs money they should charge direct.

I don't like adverts.

#120 7 years ago

Adblock: Destroying competitive pinball since 2013

#121 7 years ago

Back (more) on topic, I'd like to reiterate what I said before: simply a great job done by Bowen and the other commentators during the course of the day. I never got bored and sat through a good 4 hours straight. I could easily imagine these guys doing the commentating on ESPN2.

Great job!

#122 7 years ago

After watching that, wow Daniele really deserves that #1 spot in the world. Phenomenal play, and awesome consistency. Great coverage, I would donate to see more of this!

#123 7 years ago

I've always wanted to see something like this, it was so much more entertaining that I was thinking it would be. Especially with the comebacks, that guy who was #19, seeing some of the top pros ousted, and getting to pick up some playing tips on games that I play.

#124 7 years ago

How long did it run for exactly? 12 hours? I think I caught 80% of it. I lead a very busy life...

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

You do know just watching adverts doesn't make anyone any money don't you?

This is the #1 myth of ad blocking, that it's not hurting anyone, because you weren't going to click on the ad no matter what anyways. Sites are paid for impressions, you not viewing the ad, even if you never click on one or buy something in your entire life, directly hurts the websites you surf.

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

My guess, the amount of users who use Adblock is statistically very small and advertising rates take that into consideration.

It's not actually. Not at all rare for sites with technically savvy audiences (meaning those who don't just use IE because they don't realize there are even other options, not that high a bar) to have 40% adblock rates.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2010/03/why-ad-blocking-is-devastating-to-the-sites-you-love/

I realize I'm tilting against windmills here. But the pinball community is small, and individual actions speak louder in a smaller pond.

#127 7 years ago

Yes the ads were annoying. Yes the video could have been better, but all things considered I think it was AMAZING coverage. This is the first time to my knowledge that a pinball tournament like this has been broadcast live as it was happening. I know Chase and know for a fact that he basically made it his personal mission. He fronted all the money or begged & borrowed from people for the gear he needed to make this happen. Huge step for competitive pinball in my opinion.

Also, totally amazed by Daniele's skill & endurance. Truly world class.

#128 7 years ago

Seriously, it was Daniele's run that was keeping me glued to the set. I was sort of pissed when I had to turn it off at 5pm and go do other stuff all night. I had to wait until morning to find out he won.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'd like to reiterate what I said before: simply a great job done by Bowen and the other commentators during the course of the day. I never got bored and sat through a good 4 hours straight. I could easily imagine these guys doing the commentating on ESPN2.

Great job!

Agree. They did an awesome job. Thanks guys. Wish I could've been there, but you guys made it a little easier to stay home.

#130 7 years ago

Watched it till daft 'o clock here in the UK. Great footage. Cant wait for the next one.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is the #1 myth of ad blocking, that it's not hurting anyone, because you weren't going to click on the ad no matter what anyways. Sites are paid for impressions, you not viewing the ad, even if you never click on one or buy something in your entire life, directly hurts the websites you surf.

Well I still don't really care. If a site chooses to run ads then I'll either avoid that website or use ad blocking software. If they need to make money to do what they do they can charge subs or ask for donations. If the only way they can encourage people to do that is by running annoying ads for non subscribers then I really don't have much sympathy.

Seriously, ads suck.

#132 7 years ago

This livestream was essentially a "test run" used to gauge future endeavors. While PAPA ran the tournament, the broadcasting of this event was done with the generous help of Chase at GeekGamer.tv. PAPA does not own any of the equipment that was used, but our intention is to (hopefully) be able to move forward with this and livestream several Circuit events a year (in addition to creating other new types of interesting pinball-centric content). There are technical hurdles that still need ironed out as well as well as the simple issue of cost. We will be announcing a kickstarter soon that gives specific details on the type of equipment and challenges we will face going forward as well as the ability for others in the community to directly help support the project if they would like to help.

While this production was very nice in many ways, all parties involved understand it was a stepping stone to where we all would ultimately like to take the game. A huge thanks to GeekGamer.tv, and please stay tuned for details about the PAPA kickstarter, the live tournament streams and numerous different types of content we will create, and what barriers we will need to collectively overcome in order for it to happen.

30,000 people tuned in at some point to watch Daniele on his way to winning the belt in what was essentially a lightly advertised livestream. This widespread exposure is a good thing for the future of the game.

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned!

#133 7 years ago

30,000! Dude that is crazy!

#134 7 years ago

Just want to say that I'll be looking for the kick starter. You have my support there. Just make the rewards good

#135 7 years ago

30,000?!?!? On the Ustream feed i was watching there was only 250-300 the whole time. I realise there may be other channels/feeds but where did the other 25,000+ watch this event?

#136 7 years ago

30,000 could mean "hits" but doesn't mean 30,000 unique people. Hell, the Metallica video got around that in 24 hours, and that was with Metallica promoting it from their fb.

#137 7 years ago

The broadcast was in multiple different places and on the front page of both ustream and twitch. That number is unique hits from all locations added together.

#138 7 years ago

Chase is welcome to provide more details if he chooses. Suffice it to say we were all encouraged.

#139 7 years ago

I'm in on the Kickstarter without a second thought.

#140 7 years ago

I'm not trying to be negative, I think the broadcast was a huge success by any measure.

it's just that the 30,000 uniques number is incongruent with the number shown on the actual ustream broadcast of viewers. I understand it was promoted on the ustream front page, but those viewers would be included in the counter just like any of us and we all saw it during the broadcast.

And like I mentioned, it is more over the 8 hours than Metallica video got. and at any time there are 200-300 people on pinside, etc.

Anyhow, I support this completely, you've got my money for a kickstarter, I just can't help question numbers like that.

#141 7 years ago

I was watching on my Samsung Galaxy while shopping. Commentary was excellent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 24.00
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Beehive Pinball Co.
    $ 89.99
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 6.00
    $ 7.50
    $ 90.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 29.95
    € 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside