(Topic ID: 186888)

Live electrical current on surface of start button??

By LukeGI

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LukeGI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Bally Black Pyramid machine, and when plugged in, even without the power switch turned on, there is a current on the touch surface of the start button that is noticeable when touching it.
I cannot see any obvious wiring issues...though I am not a repair tech for pinball machines

Would this be a bad start button? Or is there something else I can troubleshoot??

Additional note...the game seems to work properly regardless of this issue...and the button also appears to work still. I simply don't want one of my little ones getting hurt.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Please read the threads about proper wiring on power cords - there can be several things that are causing the issue, such as the ground prong missing on the power cord, the power cord wired incorrectly, bad insulation (fish paper) on the coin door, etc.

Bottom line: Don't leave the machine plugged in until the issue is fixed. If you don't feel qualified to fix it, ask around for help.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is indeed unplugged till I can resolve the issue. The power cord does not have a ground prong...so that will be priority number one. Hopefully I can find proper schematics for how it is supposed to be wired up.
If that does not solve the issue, I will look into how to replace the fish paper on the coin door.

Thank you again!

#4 7 years ago

In addition to repairing or replacing the 3 prong cord, it would be wise to make sure all the ground braids in the cabinet are intact (they usually connect all the metal surfaces such as the side rails and coin door to safety ground)

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LukeGI:

The power cord does not have a ground prong...so that will be priority number one.

There's your problem. Go to the hardware store or Harbor Freight and buy a new power plug to put on the end of the power cord.

#6 7 years ago

Sounds like a good way to stop people from starting four-player games on accident.

#8 7 years ago

Awesome info! Thank you for sharing! Unfortunately I have also found that the cord is slightly damaged right behind the back box after it exits the box...so, I will end up needing to replace the entire cord, not just the plug end.

1 month later
#9 6 years ago

Just reporting back to let you know that replacing the power cord resolved the short going through the front coin panel. Now onto adjusting other pieces and replacing more lightbulbs and overall restoration
Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/live-electrical-current-on-surface-of-start-button and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.