(Topic ID: 60439)

Live catch VS. Drop catch. Which do you prefer?

By LOTR_breath

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Ruger
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SolarRide.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 10 years ago

The flipper needs to be above the horizontal by at least 30 degrees and unpowered when the ball makes contact with it. How do you get an unpowered flipper to 30+ degrees (this can vary slightly depending on the rake of the machine) ? Simple; you have to press the flipper button as the ball is approaching the flipper and then release it just before the ball gets to it (and then obviously reinstate the power after the ball is caught on the flipper for a shot or cradle).

As opposed to a live catch where the power is never released.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Does anyone want to expound on how exactly you accomplish your drop catch?

#31 10 years ago

When a flipper button is pressed and held, the flipper will reach its maximum position at a particular moment in time. If the ball makes its initial contact with a point along the flipper at that same moment in time a live catch will occur.

The more inward the contact point, the more precise the timing must be for a live catch. But why make things hard on yourself ? Drop catches are much easier and can be cradled if the ball is traveling towards the inside of the flipper.

Quoted from swampfire:

Space Station made me an expert at the drop catch, but I find live catches very hard to do. I suspect I won't really enjoy Whirlwind until I can live catch the cellar kickout.

#37 10 years ago

It's a "just-in-timer" (critical for red/yellow-flipper rubber games)

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I watched the PAPA16 1/4 finals video and saw Jason Werdrick pulling these off. The commentators were making several comments on it. It looks super sweet and Jason made it look easy. From what I can tell It's like a normal drop catch but he just flicks the flipper just before the ball touches it, so that the flipper is on the way back down as the ball contacts it. Timing on that seems very critical. It's not really a different type of catch, just a drop catch with TONS of style points!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SolarRide.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/live-catch-vs-drop-catch-which-do-you-prefer?tu=SolarRide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.