(Topic ID: 60439)

Live catch VS. Drop catch. Which do you prefer?

By LOTR_breath

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Ruger
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ruger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago

Newsom - where ya been? Pinholics is 9/28, be there!!!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

I've been keeping away from tournaments.
    You got a generator yet?

Borrowed one for the makeup date. Won't be without again cuz that Murphy guy has impeccable timing

#27 10 years ago

I've been working on both over the last year and a half. I use live catches more but prefer the drop catch when it comes to the wow factor. Live catches are probably more instinctive at this point for me, especially with balls coming down from an orbit down the side of the slingshot.

Certain games I own I have learned the drop catch very well and it is very rewarding when I pull it off. For instance on Jackbot, coming out of the saucer having chosen double or nothing. If it comes down at the right angle, easy drop catch and shot to the cashier. Feel like I'm showing off when I pull it off. I think that is why I prefer the look and feel of the drop catch when I do it successfully. But I still have a lot of work to do on choosing when to do a drop catch. I find myself resorting to bounce passes more often when a drop catch might have worked. Of course, sometimes that is just because I want it on the other flipper, but most often I just haven't wired my brain to try it.

One thing I try to do at home sometimes is to just work on drop catches, as in try it every time and see what happens. That is helping with quick responses and quicker decision making. And based on how many times the ball drains, I'm figuring out real quick what doesn't work.

What I'm really trying to learn is the little flicker drop catch. I don't know a better name but it is when someone does what looks like a drop catch but it is usually closer to the shaft of the flipper and the player doesn't drop the flipper the entire way, but rather flicks the flipper as if trying to do a cradle separation. I see the pros doing this a lot and if you watch the PAPA videos or PAPA circuit you will see many of these. I've done it occassionally but really it was kind of by accident. Trying to figure out how to do this more frequently as it seems to be a combination between a drop and live catch. Anyone have any tips on this???

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I watched the PAPA16 1/4 finals video and saw Jason Werdrick pulling these off. The commentators were making several comments on it. It looks super sweet and Jason made it look easy. From what I can tell It's like a normal drop catch but he just flicks the flipper just before the ball touches it, so that the flipper is on the way back down as the ball contacts it. Timing on that seems very critical. It's not really a different type of catch, just a drop catch with TONS of style points!

Funny I was telling friends last night about Jason doing that as well during one of his qualifier games. I kept re-watching it trying to figure it out and I think you're right about how it's done. I need to start practicing that because it seems to be the perfect merge of live and drop catch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ruger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/live-catch-vs-drop-catch-which-do-you-prefer?tu=Ruger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.