(Topic ID: 63394)

Live catch---too early, or too late

By Excalabur

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

So, I'm trying to practice live catches, say off the War Machine orbit on AC/DC. Nobody in my area seems to live catch, so I can't ask locals for advice.

Obviously I can tell when I do things correctly, but I have a hard time telling 'slightly early' from 'slightly late'. How does the ball react in these cases?

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

I think the ball bounces towards the center when done late, and towards the outlanes when done early.

Thanks, that should help.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If you are too late you usually slap the ball away at High Speed, often in the exact direction it came from. If you are too early the ball will gently bounce away, often gently into the sling and often results in a trap. You know I never really thought about this, but it makes sense that if your going to miss a live catch, it's better to be too early than too late!

If you're really early or late it's easy to figure out what's going on, but I'm having issues where I get things kinda-sorta right and the ball balloons, say, 6" off the flipper. Noah, above, might have given me the key.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Live catches off of a fast orbit are quite difficult. A better practice point would be out of a scoop, like Tron or TZ for instance.
    I've been working on the loop pass for orbits. Supremely tough IMHO!

Unfortunately, there's no scoops with decent feeds near me. Elvis has a kickout that would be suitable---if it was way more consistent. So I'm reduced to the loops on a few games to get a consistent feed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/live-catch-too-early-or-too-late?tu=Excalabur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.