p2 (resized).png
p1 (resized).png
20200928_235449 (resized).jpg
20200928_235446 (resized).jpg
20200928_235442 (resized).jpg
20200928_235434 (resized).jpg
20200928_235408 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I finally decided enough was enough after the shame of calling a "pinball guy" to work on my 1977 Williams Liberty Bell, and decided that I should pick up a non working EM on the cheaper end of things and learn how to repair them on a non working one, rather than risk the health of my existing toy.

I came home with a bit more than I bargained for with a barn find 1975 Williams "Little Chief", non working. There were not that many issues with it and no real big issues, mostly a few small parts missing, a few solenoids gone bad, and the right side rail, and backbox cover plate retention hardware gone missing; but, overall, its really been a great experience in learning how to repair EM's and how they work, and I've fixed every major problem I've come across with it so far!

One final major problem I'm struggling with is the coin door. It seems like the coin door may have been sabotaged at one point when the machine was taken out of service. The coindoor wires were mostly hanging loose. I resoldered them and replaced the missing lock reloay coil and the coin door seems to be behaving correctly now besides closing the switch doesn't seem to result in the game adding a credit to the wheel. If I roll the wheel manually it detects there being a credit on the wheel and uses it and takes it off; but, I have to advance the wheel manually, the coin switch doesn't actuate it.

Any suggestions?
Alex

#2 3 years ago

The 25 cent relay does not have a switch on it to run the score motor. Instead a 3 blade make/break coin door switch is used.
When a coin trips the switch, the normally open switch closes pulsing the 25 cent relay coil that has a hold in circuit. It isn’t until the coin clears the trip wire and switch returns back to normal state. Power is sent thru the normally closed coin switch to a normally open switch on the 25 cent relay (which is now closed because the relay is pulled in) completing the path to power the score motor.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The 25 cent relay does not have a switch on it to run the score motor. Instead a 3 blade make/break coin door switch is used.
When a coin trips the switch, the normally open switch closes pulsing the 25 cent relay coil that has a hold in circuit. It isn’t until the coin clears the trip wire and switch returns back to normal state. Power is sent thru the normally closed coin switch to a normally open switch on the 25 cent relay (which is now closed because the relay is pulled in) completing the path to power the score motor.

Thank you for the in depth answer, it seems like the switch might be faulty. I will replace it and see how things go from there. With the switch dismounted, if I close the connection between the 3 wires manually, it adds the requested credits!

Cheers
Alex

2 weeks later
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Hello,

I've replaced both of the coin switches, and they are both now triggering the 25 cent relay.

The problem is that I would like to have one trigger the 10 cent relay, as well. I'm sure theres an adjustment that I'm just not seeing; however, I just don't know how to change that!

The big problem is that once the 25 cent relay is charged, it doesn't move the credit up to the credit wheel, maybe I'm missing something!

Cheers
Alex

#5 3 years ago

Is there a jones plug inside the machine behind the open coin door? With multi positions to determine price of game?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Is there a jones plug inside the machine behind the open coin door? With multi positions to determine price of game?

There are quite a few different Jones Plugs that control various functions of the coin mechanism; but, there do not appear to be any that affect the way the mechanisms are seen by the game. Please see the attached images from my machine.

I've also flipped through the original manual and there doesn't appear to be any mention of a plug to change anything in that way.
( Source: http://www.planetarypinball.com/ )

One source of problems I identified is that the replacement switch I bought to replace a broken original, is different than the originals.

However, the behavior of the machine is the same with or without it installed along side the original, and it seems to trigger the same behavior (setting the 25 cent relay) that the original switch triggered.

Any suggestions?

Alex

20200928_235408 (resized).jpg20200928_235408 (resized).jpg20200928_235434 (resized).jpg20200928_235434 (resized).jpg20200928_235442 (resized).jpg20200928_235442 (resized).jpg20200928_235446 (resized).jpg20200928_235446 (resized).jpg20200928_235449 (resized).jpg20200928_235449 (resized).jpgp1 (resized).pngp1 (resized).pngp2 (resized).pngp2 (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Credit Unit switches adjusted correctly?
If machine is set to free play does it operate normally? Search EM Pinrepair if not certain how to do this.

2 weeks later
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Credit Unit switches adjusted correctly?
If machine is set to free play does it operate normally? Search EM Pinrepair if not certain how to do this.

Hello Phil-lee,

Sorry for the 2 week delay in getting back to you. I'm working on an issue that crept out of nowhere on my machine, and the coin stuff slipped my mind.

Yes, the free play works fine! It also counts down correctly, and stops giving credits when it hits 0, when you wind it yourself manually in the back.

It seems the circuit that gets credits onto the wheel is malfunctioning!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/little-chief-won-t-coin-up-but-detects-credits-added-manually?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.