42CDE876-C1B7-4445-B22F-67B6EF0C5B03 (resized).jpeg
312BF38B-6108-4864-959E-0A4E0E01905D (resized).jpeg
Coin_Unit_Debug (resized).jpg
Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
little chief coin step up (resized).JPG
little chief credit switch (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

The Little Chief I'm working on during this quarantine can now play single-player games with no issues but I have not had much luck in getting it to work for 2-4 player games. The manual does not have any specifics on what to do to get 2-4 player games to work. Before working on this one, I have only worked on single-player games and one two-player game, a Gottlieb Soccer. Looking at the schematic, this is what I can deduce:

1) After the Reset cycle is over and the ball is in the shooter lane, pressing the Credit button should then allow other players to play, lighting the "2 Can Play", "3 Can Play", and "4 Can Play" lights in succession as the Credit button is pushed.

2) After that the Player Unit should take over controlling the scoring and game play for the multi-player game.

In my game, after the Reset cycle is over and the ball is kicked into the shooter lane, pushing the Credit button does nothing. The coin relay does not energize and neither does the Coin Unit. Am I understanding the logic of how going from a single-player to a multi-player game correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto

#2 4 years ago

You have the theory correct . (1, 2)

I will attach a couple of schematic snippets. One for the credit button and one for the coin unit step up.

Assumption. You have at least 4 credit on the machine or the machine has been set up for free play.

Green on the credit switch snippet is where people normally Close this switch configure free play.

Check the switches in red to ensure that it is closed. That one of the ones in the black are close. Check the coin unit 1st.

Check the Green switches for the coin unit step up.

little chief credit switch (resized).JPGlittle chief credit switch (resized).JPGlittle chief coin step up (resized).JPGlittle chief coin step up (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago

Check this circuit, esp. the M/B on the Player Reset relay. And this score motor sw.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#4 4 years ago

ArgosySK and currieddog - thanks for the help.

I started the debug looking at why after starting a 1-player game, the Credit button no longer actuates the Credit Unit Reset coil. Looking at the four switches inside the black box, when the machine is first turned on, only the Game Over Relay switch is closed, all others are open. Then I push the Credit Button and the Credit Unit Reset coil is energized through the Game Over Relay switch and a 1-player game can be played. At this point, the Game Over Relay switch opens and the other three switches remain open. This can't be right.

I'm thinking one of the steppers (Coin Unit, Player Unit, or Ball Count Unit) has a Zero-Position switch in the wrong spot, one of them has to be closed AFTER the Game Over Relay Switch opens for the Credit Button to be able to actuate the Credit Unit Reset coil. I just don't know which one. I'm guessing it's the Coin Unit but I don't know. I contacted a couple Pinsiders that own Little Chief, hopefully they can send me a photo of those two steppers.

Thanks,

Alberto
Coin_Unit_Debug (resized).jpgCoin_Unit_Debug (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago

Below are photos of the Coin Unit stepper and the Ball Count stepper

312BF38B-6108-4864-959E-0A4E0E01905D (resized).jpeg312BF38B-6108-4864-959E-0A4E0E01905D (resized).jpeg42CDE876-C1B7-4445-B22F-67B6EF0C5B03 (resized).jpeg42CDE876-C1B7-4445-B22F-67B6EF0C5B03 (resized).jpeg
#6 4 years ago

Is your credit wheel assembly set to zero position... the "green" box is open
and it will not add any more players.
Make sure the white-orange wire and white-brown wire have continuity.
The Zero credit switch should be touching and have good contact
in order for the start button to work.
Note: you could manually advance the coin unit to see if the other players work.

#7 4 years ago

If the zero position credit contact is open
in the zero position then the game is not on free play.

#8 4 years ago

I checked the Zero Position switch on the credit wheel and it’s working correctly. It opens with no credits and is closed when there are credits on the machine.

One thing I tried this morning was to manually actuate the Credit Unit Reset plunger on the coil. Doing this does added 2, 3, and 4 players.

I then tried to play a 2-player game. No issues on Ball 1 but then when it has to go to ball 2, the Player unit stepped up to Player 3 when it should have reset to Player 1. Same thing with the Ball Count unit, stayed at Ball 1.

If I manually step-up and reset all the steppers I can play a 2-player game with no issues.

I’m going to continue work on the Credit Unit Reset coil problem tonight after work and then move on to the other problems I discovered.

Thanks again for all the help

Alberto

#9 4 years ago

The first step I would take is to check out the coin unit: operate it manually by depressing the plunger for the add coil and make sure the coin unit steps all the way up to the player 4 position and then operate the plunger for the reset coil to make sure the stepper resets all the way back seamlessly. A lot of times, the coin unit gets dirty and does not advance and reset smoothlly and then some prior owner has monkied with the springs and made it worse. You also often find that the blade for the zero position at reset is positioned incorrectly also, and hangs up the operation.

#10 4 years ago

I'm confused looking at your coin unit. It is the first picture, right? It should have a switch that opens once its on its fourth step, and is closed for the first three. that's the last position BreaK switch you noted in the schematic. But yours seems backwards for that logic. The long blade would have to be above the short blade for it to open at position 4, right? Look at this picture from pinrepair.com: pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I've seen these blades end up on the wrong side of the post earlier, as Runbikeskilee noted, but not be on backwards. Unless you took the unit apart previously and reassembled it wrong?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'm confused looking at your coin unit. It is the first picture, right? It should have a switch that opens once its on its fourth step, and is closed for the first three. that's the last position BreaK switch you noted in the schematic. But yours seems backwards for that logic. The long blade would have to be above the short blade for it to open at position 4, right? Look at this picture from pinrepair.com: [quoted image]
I've seen these blades end up on the wrong side of the post earlier, as runbikeskilee noted, but not be on backwards. Unless you took the unit apart previously and reassembled it wrong?

That would be the same setup as a Bally game.

#12 4 years ago

zacaj - I did re-assemble it wrong. This machine had water damage when I got it and that stepper was all rusty and the leaf-switches were broken. I used the Ball stepper unit next to it as a guide. I'll have to switch this around.

Thank you

Alberto

#13 4 years ago

Corrected the switch position and now I can add credits with no issues. 2-4 player games still did not work. I found a broken wire going from the Coin Unit to the Player Unit which stepped up and reset the Ball unit which in turn controls the Player unit. The broken wire was buried inside the main bundle going from the playfield to the head.

Now I have some scoring reel issues to sort, but those I know how to deal with.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

Corrected the switch position and now I can add credits with no issues. 2-4 player games still did not work. I found a broken wire going from the Coin Unit to the Player Unit which stepped up and reset the Ball unit which in turn controls the Player unit. The broken wire was buried inside the main bundle going from the playfield to the head.
Now I have some scoring reel issues to sort, but those I know how to deal with.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

#15 4 years ago

Still got some cosmetics and cleaning to do, but the game now works from 1-4 player games. Did not think I could get it to this point but thanks for Pinsiders like you, it's now up and running.

From a game with a water damaged cabinet to one that now works.

Alberto
_3_Cabinet3 (resized).jpg_3_Cabinet3 (resized).jpg_13_Assembled (resized).jpg_13_Assembled (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/little-chief-2-4-player-not-working?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.