Blue wire_LI (resized).jpg
Switch 3A_LI (resized).jpg
Insuating tape_LI (resized).jpg
counter (resized).jpg
Lite A Line Control unit (resized).jpg
Lite a Line_LI (resized).jpg
switch 2_LI (resized).jpg
switch 1_LI (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a Lite a Line that keeps getting stuck in tilt mode and I have to manually trip the tilt relay to get it to reset. I cleaned all the switched on the tilt relay and made sure they were adjusted. I thought I had it but the problem has come back once again. One thing I did notice while testing my first repair was, if I manually trip the tilt bob the game seems to tilt then recover. If I hold the tilt bob in the tripped position for a few seconds I seem to once again come across this "stuck in tilt mode" again where the only way out is to manually trigger the tilt relay. Is that normal? Any thing I should be looking at to keep this thing from getting stuck in tilt mode?

#3 5 years ago

yes, I guess what am I actually doing is manually releasing it. I will take a look at the anti-cheat and start, thank you.

#5 5 years ago

yes the tilt light goes on and then off. I am pretty sure the game is ended at that point but I am not sure. Still it should remain tilted until a credit is added yes?

This is for a friend who I do not see very often. I will try and get some more info as to when and how it is getting stuck in tilt. in the mean time I will check the two suggested relays.

#6 5 years ago

So I didn't get very far. When I looked at the game the "Selection Unit" step up coil was locked on and fried. I don't recall this coil being locked on the last time I looked at it but I wonder if this coil is related to my original problem.

Does anyone know what the little plastic C clip is called that is on the coil plunger? Possibly a part number? It looks like it serves as a guide for the plunger while inside the coil sleeve. When the coil fried it melted this little C clip.

#7 5 years ago

I found the plunger C clip

#9 5 years ago

Thank you sir, I will take a look and see. I did notice the selection unit has a hard time stepping up in one spot, I will have to clean the unit.

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

So I am not sure where CU 6B is but I did see two cams on the CU that lock. The one closest to the motor (third cam from the motor) was not in its resting latched position. once I moved it to a locked position I was able to start a game again. Could this be the result of a bad clutch ring? I am not sure where to go with it from here.

One thing I did notice is the latch for this cam has two switch stacks. If the switch stack on the right makes contact, when the credit button is pressed I get the stuck in tilt unable to start game. The switch blade was obviously disabled so I adjusted it and when I did, bam instant problem. So I moved that back to its "out of adjustment disabled position". I should mention is this thing a hacked beyond belief. Reflex unit is disconnected, spotter unit (?) is disconnected, I think it was the card selection unit was hacked, wires here and the just cut like something was removed. Switch stack on the CU gone. So I need to be careful what I adjust or "fix" because I suspect many things were disabled for one reason or the other. The game does work but I am pretty sure there are some functions which are not working. I have no interest in getting this thing fully functional, it would take more time and parts then I have. just looking to get it playable.

Found some over fusing so I corrected that. I appreciate your help guys.

#14 5 years ago

What is the nut and the spring for on the CU shaft? and how does it get tightened? I didn't touch it, just wondering how it works along with everything else. I actually also started working on another bingo. I got it all sorted out so far except extra ball selection wont work, got it to work once. I see what look like the same problem, one of the clutch cams is not turning at the same rate as it neighboring cams (looks to be hesitating and erratic in its movement). My guess is there is a timing issue here. For as complicated as these things look, I enjoy the challenge of working on them. it is difficult to not rip everything apart and go through everything like I normally would for a solid state machine. I guess in this case it is a matter of taking care of the needs over the wants.

1 week later
#16 5 years ago

I see the erratic stop/go cam that you are talking about and the first timer cam, they look to be ok. There is another fiber cam that is erratic in its 180 degree travel though and there doesn't appear to be a drag arm that I noticed.

So is getting extra balls random? I was under the impression that depositing another coin would enable you to buy another ball. I am told depositing a coin is only a random chance at getting another ball which does seem to be the case.

I haven't made any adjustments yet. I will see if I can get a few pictures of the chopped up Lite a Line though. I will likely work on it later this week.

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

I got that third cam in to make a full smooth 180 degree revolution but now it seems i created another issue. Game wont start at all now. If I manually trigger the start relay, as soon as i hit the credit button i hear a click, which I believe is the tilt relay.

#18 5 years ago

So the game seems to work fine until the coin switch closes. If i rack some replays up, i can start a game. Pressing the coin switch results in the shutter closing and the tilt relay tripping. Anti-cheat is still pulled in.

#22 5 years ago

Yea even a quick momentary action of the switch closed the shutter and activates the tilt relay. If there are credits a can start a game after this happens but damn that credit button. Looks like i get cards one through five and six comes up at random.

#23 5 years ago

I had to put it down for the day, been at it for a while. Is it possible the coin circuit is shorted to the tilt? Or is there a switch on the CU that is adjusted too sensitive?

Five balls in the game, the only two trough switches seem to be adjusted correctly. Payout seems to be right on.

#24 5 years ago

Sorry I just realized there is a bit of confusion in the extra ball department. I had mentioned working on another bingo that does give extra balls (eight balls in trough). That bingo I can "win" an extra ball but I cant serve it to the shooter lane. It has an auto server.

#25 5 years ago

I have made some real progress. I believe there are some switches adjusted in a particular way as a hack to make this machine work. I think I got myself into trouble trying to "fix" a switch here or there that was not in its correct position. There are at least two switches so far that I know I adjusted at one point which cannot be in there correct position. The result is the game not functioning properly. So in the first picture I have a switch that can never close, the result is a game will not start. In the second picture I have a switch that can never open. Opening the switch (as it normally should) results are the same, unable to start a game using the coin switch. If I remember, one switch in the stack can never close and the other can never open. Sorry I spent a few hours sorting through this mess so I am a little burnt out on it. The game does appear to be working correctly now. I think there are some issues with the payout on certain cards that I will have to look into. One of the release coils for the search wipers is very toasty. If you get a big payout like in the 100's that thing start smoking.

switch 1_LI (resized).jpgswitch 1_LI (resized).jpgswitch 2_LI (resized).jpgswitch 2_LI (resized).jpg
1 week later
#27 5 years ago

I will see if I can get a good picture of the toasty coil. I think it releases a multi-toothed metal cam all the end of the CU just before the search wipers. In the mean time I seem to have a random problem with this coil in the picture locking on. I have actually replaced this coil once already. It seems sometimes when it gets stuck it will release on its own eventually. It looks like this unit has something to do with enabling cards five and six.

Lite a Line_LI (resized).jpgLite a Line_LI (resized).jpg
#28 5 years ago

I should mention that this coil locks on sometimes after triggering the coin switch to start a game. I looks like the unit should advance and when it gets to the end of its travel, it lights card five and six.

#37 5 years ago

Hey Reo, thank you for the six coin six card suggestion but I need to focus on getting this thing in at least an acceptable working order first. The tilt problem was related to a latched cam which did not always complete its full 180 degree travel. once I had solved that issue (Thank you Baldtwit!!) I was no longer "stuck in tilt mode". Which in all actuality was just me not being able to start a game from the games normal resting state after it had been power cycled. As for the switches you mentioned, If that lower switch opens I am no longer able to start a game. It appears to be a hack to get the game to start normally though I could be wrong. This switch was set to always be closed and I noticed it while working on another issue and decided to fix it and adjust it to the position it is supposed to be in. That is when I noticed this switch for whatever reason can never open and had to set it back to the way it was. You'll have to forgive me I am not overly familiar with bingo games. So my problem right now seems to be the coil in my last photo staying energized (not mechanically stuck, I rarely ever have such easy fixes). I had spent some time thinking about it and it seems it would make sense that something on the CU is causing that coil to get stuck on. The Cu being what it is should be pulsing that coil no?....

I really appreciate the help from everyone. I know it is difficult working someone through an issue over the internet.

#42 5 years ago

So I have the game cycling as it should. Switch 6B seems to be fine but I believe there is something to switch 6D. I am pretty sure the lower switch cannot make contact otherwise I am unable to start a game. I will confirm that but I believe that is the case. Thank you for the paper suggestion to suck up excess oil, good suggestion. The CU motor sounds and works fine though it does run a little hot opposite of the fan, I am not sure if that is normal or if it is low on oil. It looks to be a sealed unit. I did notice that the switch stack for the counter unit seems to be a source of much frustration and trouble. I just cant seem to get this thing adjusted properly. It did work fine at one point so it is capable of working normally. Either the game wont pay out, or tries to pay out but wants to zero as it is trying to increment. or will increment but the replay button does nothing and will not zero when power cycled. I am not sure I know how this stack should be adjusted. The stack on the right seems ok, its that stack on the left I think that is giving me trouble.

counter (resized).jpgcounter (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#46 5 years ago

I had some time to look some things over again. I added some insulating tape to the counter switches and made some adjustments as suggested. I think there were some issues being caused by those two switches not being insulated. I also noticed a switch on the third cam was making slight contact when it should not have been. This seemed to cause the machine to perpetually try and zero the counter when trying to increment. I also added pictures of where the blue and green wires go to on that counter switch stack which is suspect as an addition and not a factory switch. No idea what roll it plays.

Blue wire_LI (resized).jpgBlue wire_LI (resized).jpgGreen wire_LI (resized).jpgGreen wire_LI (resized).jpgInsuating tape_LI (resized).jpgInsuating tape_LI (resized).jpgSwitch 3A_LI (resized).jpgSwitch 3A_LI (resized).jpg
#47 5 years ago

I will try and answer your question about the 6D switch next time. I know if the lower switch closes I am unable to start a game. I am not sure about the top switch on that stack. At least for now the game is cycling and playing as it should.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lite-a-line-getting-stuck-in-tilt?tu=pinstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.