By pinstyle

2 weeks ago

Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bingopodcast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

#1 17 days ago

I have a Lite a Line that keeps getting stuck in tilt mode and I have to manually trip the tilt relay to get it to reset. I cleaned all the switched on the tilt relay and made sure they were adjusted. I thought I had it but the problem has come back once again. One thing I did notice while testing my first repair was, if I manually trip the tilt bob the game seems to tilt then recover. If I hold the tilt bob in the tripped position for a few seconds I seem to once again come across this "stuck in tilt mode" again where the only way out is to manually trigger the tilt relay. Is that normal? Any thing I should be looking at to keep this thing from getting stuck in tilt mode?

#2 17 days ago

So that I am clear: you have to trip the tilt relay to get start to work? I'd check the anti-cheat relay, followed by the start relay.

#3 16 days ago

yes, I guess what am I actually doing is manually releasing it. I will take a look at the anti-cheat and start, thank you.

#4 16 days ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

if I manually trip the tilt bob the game seems to tilt then recover. If I hold the tilt bob in the tripped position for a few seconds I seem to once again come across this "stuck in tilt mode" again where the only way out is to manually trigger the tilt relay.

I don't understand this. By "tilt then recover", you mean the tilt light goes on then off?

the tilt light goes on if the anti-cheat relay loses power, or it goes on if the tilt trip relay trips. Trip relays have to be mechanically reset, and if the anti-cheat relay unpowers for some reason, then CU cam switch 6A needs to close to power it again...that happens when cycling the machine.

lite-A-line doesn't do much when the tilt trip relay trips. The playfield shutter closes if it's open, the 17V circuit is disconnected, the timer unit won't step up, winner search is disabled and the tilt light comes on. None of that would affect being able to reset the game (i.e. manually tripping the tilt trip relay shouldn't matter assuming the shutter was already closed).

can you give more detail on when are you having the problem and what it is/isn't doing? Right now, your description implies the switches on the tilt trip relay are assembled incorrectly or plugs are in the wrong place.

#5 15 days ago

yes the tilt light goes on and then off. I am pretty sure the game is ended at that point but I am not sure. Still it should remain tilted until a credit is added yes?

This is for a friend who I do not see very often. I will try and get some more info as to when and how it is getting stuck in tilt. in the mean time I will check the two suggested relays.

#6 9 days ago

So I didn't get very far. When I looked at the game the "Selection Unit" step up coil was locked on and fried. I don't recall this coil being locked on the last time I looked at it but I wonder if this coil is related to my original problem.

Does anyone know what the little plastic C clip is called that is on the coil plunger? Possibly a part number? It looks like it serves as a guide for the plunger while inside the coil sleeve. When the coil fried it melted this little C clip.

#7 7 days ago

I found the plunger C clip

#8 4 days ago

CU cam 6B pulses closed to step the selection unit. Make sure the CU cams are rotating to a locked position when cycling the machine and 6B is opening.

if it's not that, you've got a short.

#9 2 days ago

Thank you sir, I will take a look and see. I did notice the selection unit has a hard time stepping up in one spot, I will have to clean the unit.

#10 2 days ago

if a stepper unit is not stepping due to an overtight spring on the ratchet or serious crud, the worst case symptom would be the step-up coil continuously pulsing (circuit fed by a 16 pulse cam). The step-up coil shouldn't stick on...so you're core issue is someplace else.

in the case of the selection unit on lite-a-line, there is no circuit that is fed from a 16 pulse cam. Only CU 6B steps the unit, and it shouldn't more than once per cycle.

#11 2 days ago

@baldtwit could it be a hardened clutch? If 6B didn't open correctly (and the selection unit needed cleaning), the solenoid would lock on. Would 50V be diverted to enough other places that the anti-cheat would open during the cycle naturally? I'm surprised the fuse doesn't pop, if that were the case.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside