Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lynnindenver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

I got one here. The only real issue I've had is that it doesn't work as well as it could with the first type of sound board like was used in Solar Ride; It took some parameter tuning to get the tunes to sound remotely right. It's generally better to use the "sound file" functionality. I would also indicate that it isn't an instant boot process; I'd recommend just using a Pi3 on it just to reduce the boot time. It can use ROM files like you'd use with MAME/Visual Pinball, so it's exactly the original rules, complete with the limited settings. You can access the original diagnostics/memory menu, but you can also, holding the button longer, access a more advanced diagnostics screen accessible via ad-hoc wifi, which means you can test individual lights, switches and coils via a tablet interface, which has been really handy; I did pop bumper adjustments by using the diagnostics to engage the game-over coil so that I could fire the pops without entering the original test mode, and then disengage it again to adjust the switches again.

The real shining feature of the kit over the other replacements is the ability to configure rules with Mission Pinball Framework, although I have had issues with a form of "lag", where it would get gradually slower in responding to switch hits. It doesn't affect single player games currently, but it can affect multiplayer games, and it can be measured in seconds at the end of the game. It's also a "from scratch" sort of deal, I think I'm the first one who got a "flips and plays" config more or less finished, and I do believe that Ralf is now including it with the main distribution as an example.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

This was another great feature to me, however I was sad to find that the cheaper Pi Zero just couldn't go fast enough to run mpf. Having to buy a pi3 really adds to the price, and it sounds like even that can barely handle it

Technically the Pi Zero does run fast enough, but it's not pleasant. It works perfectly well if you're just running the ROM file and not bothering with MPF. If you're using MPF, then a Pi3 is what you want to be running, and it's still cheaper than stuffing a real computer in there. At some point, I'll test using the computer I was using for config development (running the Pi in 'slave' mode), and see how well that runs a full game.

Do note that even with all that, you still have to deal with the limitations of System 1... the lack of computer control of the pop bumpers, the lack of being able to tell what the flipper buttons are doing, the real difficulty of trying to add a high score name feature (I figured out how to override the "enter initials" feature so that it just records the high scores), and getting around those by rewiring, you might as well rewire the whole machine for FAST or PROC.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

I just bought a Genie with one of these. Looking forward to doing some experimentation. I have a Pi3B I could put in instead of the Pi Zero. Looks like I'll need some kind of header extension though.
    Just beginning to mess around with MPF. I should probably get the machine in my house and set up first though!

Yeah, header extensions are necessary. If I do another LISY, I'll use the extended plugin instead so that it can take a Pi3 without adaptation.

1 week later
    #16 4 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Ok, I've got mine up and running with a Pi Zero W. I accidentally ordered a Pi Zero, and it worked fine, but I want to network this thing.
    Anyone successfully connect one of these wirelessly? I just want to start simple with LISY control and then I'll move on to MPF.
    I've changed the SSID and PSK in the lisy/interfaces file, but I just can't get it to connect. I tried setting a static IP, which works according to the PI but it's still not joining the network. Is there anyway to troubleshoot this?
    I probably should've ordered a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter or a mini-USB to Ethernet adapter.

I used a wireless dongle on mine, actually (also original Zero, not W), and it worked fine. You just need to buy a "USB On The Go" hub to connect it.

I think there were some issues with wireless at one point. I found it worked better just doing the adhoc networking and pointing the tablet wireless at it as if it were a network.

Doing the HDMI won't get you much... all you'll see is a command prompt login, it doesn't provide a console on the screen to monitor how things are running, it's basically meant to run "headless" or attached to an external computer like any other USB device, which is how I developed an MPF config for Solar Ride.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lynnindenver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lisy-replacement-mpu-information-needed?tu=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.