(Topic ID: 286770)

Pinside top 10 sci-fi films discussion thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D998AE8D-C1EF-4034-A7A7-3036348AEF4E (resized).jpeg
    A5772D90-44E5-4F49-AC5A-08EB434F66F6 (resized).jpeg
    MV5BOTMyYTIyM2MtNjQ2ZC00MWFkLThhYjQtMjhjMGZiMjgwYjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension.15132 (resized).jpg
    the-green-slime-are-here-promo (resized).jpg
    Green Slime dances (resized).jpg
    Green Slime minis (resized).jpg
    Green Slime poster (resized).jpg
    06CB92D1-F16C-4840-8621-F126B5DC866A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

Sci-Fi is my favorite genre.

Here we go...

Forbidden Planet
    War of the Worlds (original)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
    Dark City
    The Thing (82)
    Alien
    The Black Hole
    Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers
    Predator
    Star Trek - Wrath of Kahn

Honorable mentions:

The Time Machine, The Omega Man, Plant of the Apes (original), The Thing (52), Pitch Black

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This is only top 10 and Event Horizon definitely deservers to be in the top 50.

Event Horizon pisses me off every time I see it. There is a great movie in there, and they fucked it up big time.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What was it? I guess a lot of it has to do with what age you saw a movie the first time. Besides Alien/Aliens that was the first movie to give me the creeps when young.
    I completely fogot about Abyss, top 10 is hard, but Abyss would be close even though not outer space, but deep below the ocean.

I was 25 I think? The first half of the film is great...then it just dissolves into a Hellraiser wannabe vomit pile. The director was Paul Anderson, so we should be grateful for even a half decent film as he is such a hack.

Abyss was a great movie, as was it's sister film....can't remember the name but it started Peter Weller from RoboCop.

I was SO into film back in those years...mostly Sci-Fi..I went to conventions, film festivals, etc... - the horror genre lost me with the Scream/I Know what you did last summer films.

Did you ever see any of the Cube films? There were pretty good for indie films.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

7. The Road Warrior
    8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    9. The Fly (1986)

Nice list. The Road Warrior stands out among all the other Mad Max films, it is perfect. Just watched it a few months ago, and the last scene of Mel fading out with the voice over was so well done.

I like the 78 Invasion too, not as much as the original but it's good as well. The Fly is pretty too. Easily Croneberg's best film, or best commercial one.

#12 3 years ago

That's it. Thanks! Not as good as Abyss, but entertaining and fun.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yeah, the first Cube was pretty cool. I didn't know they followed up. With Event Horizon, I like the Hellraiser aspect, as I wa not into the classic horror genre at the time and never saw it.
    Am I the only 1984 Dune fan?

The first Cube is the best one (aren't they all), but the 2 sequels are decent enough. Check it out, they actually explain a bit more of what is going on.

I like Dune - I thought they did the best they could with it with the time they had. My biggest issue was I didn't care for the source material that much but the acting and cinematography was top notch. It got way too much criticism, but my guess was that fans of the book didn't think it was enough but the critics thought it was too much, and it was sunk.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I think Pitch Black is one of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen. It's not only a cool movie, it's a cool LOOKING movie, the way it's filmed and the use of colored filters etc.
    It's the first movie I ever saw Vin Diesel in, and it was like, who the fuck is THIS guy??
    Spoiler alert: I like that it's not a "happy" ending...the kids die, the female leads die, everybody dies - the only ones to escape are the convicted murderer (Diesel) and 2 others.

I just watched it two days ago. The only thing that holds it back is the characterization...too edgy, too anti-hero....I get the Vin Diesel role but it was too much over the top. My favorite things about is, as you stated, is the filters they used and the shots of the planet with the rings on the horizon.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Funny thing is, Dune is considered one of the best Sci-fi books ever written, so hard to do in 2 hrs. I never thought a Dark Tower movie would be easy, and they properly f'd that up. David Lynch actually had a really cool vision even though Sci-fi wasn't his thing. The casting was F'ng stellar.

I know...I've tried several times and I just can't get into it. As I get older, I am leaning more into older gothic tales and the old Weird Tales pulps, but that's another thread topic.

An often overlooked film is DARK CITY that came out in the 90's, about the same time as The Matrix. Matrix gets all the fanboy and critic praise, but Dark City is the best Sci-Fil film that came out in the 90's. It's perfect in every way...story, script, effects, acting, mood...it is Proyas's best work.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

A
    Surprised not to see Fifth Element mentioned more here. That would have made a great pinball machine. Same with Pitch Black/Riddick series. Fun stuff.
    What about Titan AE? Been awhile since I saw it, but I remember really enjoying it. Animated though...not sure if that changes opinions.

The Fifth Element is a great film, but I'm a huge Chris Tucker fan so that may explain it.
    Titan AE is pretty cool - I think that was a Don Bluth film (not using Google and going old school with using my memory )???, but I remember it lost a lot of $ when released.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm so happy to see this movie mentioned. I think it's a gem of a film that has completely slipped through the cracks. Most people have probably never even heard of it, let alone seen it.
    The film is also special to me as it's the first movie I ever purchased on DVD.

That's the one with Charlie Sheen right?

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Fun thread. A lot of good movies in here. I'll need to stew on it, but I think most of my favs have been covered. Some movies are definitely tough to judge though. There are a lot of great movies that had some type of profound affect on me, but do I really want to rewatch them? Maybe rewatchable sci fi is it's own list.
    Some notables from the thread:
    Contact: I guess I might need to rewatch this, but I just remember being really mad about the ending. However, one of the best lines about the gov is in the film..."First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"
    Ad-Astra: Hated this movie. I dubbed it 'Deep Space Daddy Issues'. Would not recommend.
    Dune: I like this movie. Probably because it's super weird and I saw it a bunch of times as a kid and liked it. Haven't rewatched in a a long time, and have since read most of the books. I'm looking f

Quoted from TheLaw:

OG Cube I always thought was the single best idea for a indie flick. Just the same room over and over again lit diff'rently. A classic fo sho.

The first one was filmed a shoestring budget. I remember seeing it a film festival in Chicago....it was generally well received.

I see many are skipping over the Ray Harryhausen films. Guess not showing them on creature feature and saturday afternoon UFH stations is taking its toll.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Science Fiction is my first love, so it's near impossible to cut it to ten....
    Let's try.

9. Outland.

Nice pick. High Noon in space with Sean Connery. Not a great film, but pretty damn good. Watched in about 3 months. He was pretty damn good in it.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mank:

Soylent Green. Worth it for Charlton Heston’s last, brilliant over-dramatic line
    Brazil (Terry Gilliam from Monty Python)
    Robocop
    Them
    The Blob
    Godzilla...against all those huge villains, especially Mothra
    King Kong
    The Time Machine
    The Fly. The old black and white one
    The Matrix. Best.sci.fi.movie.ever

Soylent Green was the last film role of Edward G. Robinson - a major heavy in the black and white era.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

Mad Max Fury Road

The Running Man

The Running Man is so fi'ng good on so many levels. I watch it every other year....doesn't get a lot of love and I get why, but I love it. It's just like Demolition Man. Another film that is just fun to watch.

"I'll Be Back"
    "Only in a rerun"....

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That's the Charlton Heston sci-fi trifecta!

Yup. He had a hell of a fun in the 70's.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from oneballjab:

10. The Blob (1988)

Another great film from the 80's. It didn't do too well, but it's more highly regarded today. Loved that the "hero" gets killed 20 minutes into the film.

A film very much like it that I haven't seen mentioned is Tremors.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Just finished the first 4 Alien movies, A3 was ok but Alien Resurrection was so bad.
    I need to track down Prometheus and Covenant.

You are not going to be pleased.

A3 had a good movie in it, but it just didn't happen. There are many stories on the net about the "script by committee" issue. Same thing happens whenever big $ is involved or sequels are in the works. I am a fan of Scott's earlier work, but Prometheus falls in on itself. It tries to be too clever.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

They crammed too much into one movie. It should have at least been a trilogy.

The trouble with that is that they are gambling a lot of on the successes of the first film. In addition, it's very difficult (back then), to get actors to commit to 2 films (let alone 3)...the costs are substantial....especially when the first film hasn't been released yet.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Or on your fucking knees, begging!"
    Alien 3 would be much bigger now a days that everyone blows Fincher. Resurrection is just beyond awfull.
    Speaking of awfull, Promethius is just so bad. You can watch a 20 minute YouTube video on how it actually makes sense...but if you have to go that far you've already lost.
    Covenant might as well be a straight to video alien vs predator flick.

Spot on. What makes it tough to swallow is that it follows one of the best sci-fi horror movies of all time (based on a 1930ish novella), and a really good sequel that goes into another direction, but is also a stellar film.

Prometheus...while visually stunning has nothing to offer. It isn't interesting, it doesn't bring any sense of awe to it, it's just there. Like musicians, I think film directors lose their way when they get older. Scott isn't the first.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Oh gee...there is only one list....Mine!
    Forbidden Planet
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    The Thing From Another World
    War of the Worlds
    The Time Machine
    This Island Earth
    When Worlds Collide
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Incredible Shrinking Man
    Them
    Metropolis
    ....newer films
    Blade Runner
    Alien
    Aliens
    The Thing (Carpenter)
    The Terminator
    Terminator 2
    The Matrix
    Predator
    Star Wars (the 3 good ones)
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Ricardo

I was waiting for you to pop in! Them and When World Collides are solid choices! Actually, anything George Pal was behind was great.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I've often wondered what would be the best Sci-Fi remake. Just think of these films with modern movie making technology.
    Logan's Run
    Westworld
    Escape from New York

Logan's Run could work depending on the Director.
    Westworld already has been remade...twice.
    No John Carpenter film should ever be remade, revisions, revisited...etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-your-top-10-sci-fi-films-of-all-time-?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.