(Topic ID: 286770)

Pinside top 10 sci-fi films discussion thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D998AE8D-C1EF-4034-A7A7-3036348AEF4E (resized).jpeg
    A5772D90-44E5-4F49-AC5A-08EB434F66F6 (resized).jpeg
    MV5BOTMyYTIyM2MtNjQ2ZC00MWFkLThhYjQtMjhjMGZiMjgwYjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension.15132 (resized).jpg
    the-green-slime-are-here-promo (resized).jpg
    Green Slime dances (resized).jpg
    Green Slime minis (resized).jpg
    Green Slime poster (resized).jpg
    06CB92D1-F16C-4840-8621-F126B5DC866A (resized).jpeg
    There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago

I’m surprised at the love for ‘Prometheus’ to be honest.

I’ve never seen Ad Astra I’ll need to find that.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The Abyss is one of my all time favorite films, but you have to watch the director's cut. It changes the ending and makes it a much more cohesive story overall. I've never understood why there isn't a Blu-ray of it. I've seen the theatrical release on cable in HD, but to my knowledge there is no HD version of the director's cut available anywhere.

About directors cuts, there are 7 different cuts of Blade Runner that to me is cool to see what else could have been.

I wish they’d do some cuts of the new SW films and take out some of the cringe worthy scenes.

I watched Alien 3 directors cut however the version I had would put up a graphic display during the added scene which takes you out of the moment.

#53 3 years ago

No love for Avatar?

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

About directors cuts, there are 7 different cuts of Blade Runner that to me is cool to see what else could have been.
    I wish they’d do some cuts of the new SW films and take out some of the cringe worthy scenes.
    I watched Alien 3 directors cut however the version I had would put up a graphic display during the added scene which takes you out of the moment.

AlienS Has the best added footage for a director’s cut, possibly only second to the Abyss, which, as noted, almost entirely changes the story. That wave!!

Alien 3 isn’t really a Director’s Cut, (Fincher had nothing to do with it) but I do think it improved the film.

I want to add some international films which may not have been seen widely:

Stalker by Tartovsky
    Children of Men
    Akira (the anime),
    Ghost in the Shell (the anime!)
    Pi (barely counts but IMO still sci-fi)

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Would also be interesting to hear about some films that are more obscure (even if they don’t make your to 10) so that I could check them out.

Some more obscure sci-fi films that I would recommend would be:

Seconds - 1966
    Silent Running - 1972
    Solaris (the original Russian version) - 1972
    Soylent Green - 1973
    Brazil - 1985
    Gattaca - 1997
    Dark City - 1998
    eXistenZ - 1999
    Impostor - 2001
    Night Watch/Day Watch - 2004, 2006
    The Host - 2006
    Timecrimes - 2007
    Pandorum - 2009
    Snowpiercer - 2013
    Aniara - 2018
    The Platform (Netflix) - 2019

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

A
    Surprised not to see Fifth Element mentioned more here. That would have made a great pinball machine. Same with Pitch Black/Riddick series. Fun stuff.
    What about Titan AE? Been awhile since I saw it, but I remember really enjoying it. Animated though...not sure if that changes opinions.

The Fifth Element is a great film, but I'm a huge Chris Tucker fan so that may explain it.
    Titan AE is pretty cool - I think that was a Don Bluth film (not using Google and going old school with using my memory )???, but I remember it lost a lot of $ when released.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Seconds - 1966
    Silent Running - 1972
    Soylent Green - 1973
    Brazil - 1985
    Gattaca - 1997
    Dark City - 1998
    eXistenZ - 1999
    Impostor - 2001
    The Host - 2006
    Timecrimes - 2007
    Pandorum - 2009
    Snowpiercer - 2013
    Aniara - 2018

Silent Running is so good

#58 3 years ago

Arrival
    Interstellar
    Children of Men
    The Running Man
    Ready player one
    Birdbox
    12 Monkeys
    10 Cloverfield Lane
    Moon
    The thing

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Seconds - 1966
    Silent Running - 1972
    Soylent Green - 1973
    Brazil - 1985
    Gattaca - 1997
    Dark City - 1998
    eXistenZ - 1999
    Impostor - 2001
    The Host - 2006
    Timecrimes - 2007
    Pandorum - 2009
    Snowpiercer - 2013
    Aniara - 2018

Nightwatch!! Nice! Wish they would have been able to finish the 3rd one. (Apparently a lot of it was incorporated into “Wanted”)

And Timecrimes, good call.

#60 3 years ago

I'm so happy to see this movie mentioned. I think it's a gem of a film that has completely slipped through the cracks. Most people have probably never even heard of it, let alone seen it.

The film is also special to me as it's the first movie I ever purchased on DVD.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm so happy to see this movie mentioned. I think it's a gem of a film that has completely slipped through the cracks. Most people have probably never even heard of it, let alone seen it.

Really good movie but hard to understand.

#62 3 years ago

Fun thread. A lot of good movies in here. I'll need to stew on it, but I think most of my favs have been covered. Some movies are definitely tough to judge though. There are a lot of great movies that had some type of profound affect on me, but do I really want to rewatch them? Maybe rewatchable sci fi is it's own list.

Some notables from the thread:

Contact: I guess I might need to rewatch this, but I just remember being really mad about the ending. However, one of the best lines about the gov is in the film..."First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"

Ad-Astra: Hated this movie. I dubbed it 'Deep Space Daddy Issues'. Would not recommend.

Dune: I like this movie. Probably because it's super weird and I saw it a bunch of times as a kid and liked it. Haven't rewatched in a a long time, and have since read most of the books. I'm looking forward to the new one.

Prometheus: I also like this movie. I get why it gets some hate, but I still enjoyed it.

Mostly I'm just glad noone has Into Darkness on their list. We've been chirping about this one in the Trek thread recently. It's terrible.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Really good movie but hard to understand.

I thought The Arrival was pretty straightforward. Are you sure you're not confusing it with Arrival, a much more recent film starring Amy Adams? That movie is great also, but is definitely a bit confusing.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I thought The Arrival was pretty straightforward. Are you sure you're not confusing it with Arrival, a much more recent film starring Amy Adams? That movie is great also, but is definitely a bit confusing.

I like both and put them on my list of 10+

#65 3 years ago

Looks like " Hare Devil Hare " will pass rules for the groups consideration . If you come across Marvin tell him howdy for me. ; )

Shane

#66 3 years ago

No particular order

1-Terminator (Franchise)
    2-Pandorum
    3-Event Horizon
    4-Sphere
    5-Time Cop
    6-Alien (Franchise)
    7-Universal Soldier (First Movie)
    8-Fortress
    9-Escape From NY
    10-Mad Max (Franchise)

#67 3 years ago

Not sure about this but I like the premise of time starting over like Groundhog Day. This one may have been overlooked since it’s a German film.

Run Lola Run

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Star Wars is as much Fantasy as it is Sci Fi.

I've always wondered which I've heard more; This, or people only liking the first half of Full Metal Jacket.

Quoted from rai:

No love for Avatar?

Man that movie was horrendously bad....laugh out loud bad.

Blade Runner
    The Thing
    Hardware
    Alien
    Matrix
    Solaris (Soderburgh)
    Star Wars
    Robocop
    Dune

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Not sure about this but I like the premise of time starting over like Groundhog Day.

If you haven't seen 'Edge of Tomorrow', it's excellent. Definitely check it out. Not really sure why this one doesn't get more love. Heard they were making a sequel though.
    Also, if you're in the mood for a comedy, 'Palm Springs' came out last year and was good.

Quoted from rai:

Run Lola Run

The first time I saw this I came home and my step dad was watching it. I'll never forget the bewildered look on his face as I came in and he was like "this girl is just...running around!"

#70 3 years ago

Cannot believe no love for Back to the Future!!!!

Seriously???

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Did you ever see any of the Cube films? There were pretty good for indie films.

I liked the first one and the third one. I thought the second one sucked.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I liked the first one and the third one.

OG Cube I always thought was the single best idea for a indie flick. Just the same room over and over again lit diff'rently. A classic fo sho.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That's the one with Charlie Sheen right?

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Fun thread. A lot of good movies in here. I'll need to stew on it, but I think most of my favs have been covered. Some movies are definitely tough to judge though. There are a lot of great movies that had some type of profound affect on me, but do I really want to rewatch them? Maybe rewatchable sci fi is it's own list.
    Some notables from the thread:
    Contact: I guess I might need to rewatch this, but I just remember being really mad about the ending. However, one of the best lines about the gov is in the film..."First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"
    Ad-Astra: Hated this movie. I dubbed it 'Deep Space Daddy Issues'. Would not recommend.
    Dune: I like this movie. Probably because it's super weird and I saw it a bunch of times as a kid and liked it. Haven't rewatched in a a long time, and have since read most of the books. I'm looking f

Quoted from TheLaw:

OG Cube I always thought was the single best idea for a indie flick. Just the same room over and over again lit diff'rently. A classic fo sho.

The first one was filmed a shoestring budget. I remember seeing it a film festival in Chicago....it was generally well received.

I see many are skipping over the Ray Harryhausen films. Guess not showing them on creature feature and saturday afternoon UFH stations is taking its toll.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Guess not showing them on creature feature and saturday afternoon UFH stations is taking its toll.

Haha. Grew up watching Clash of the Titans (seemed like) every damn weekend. Still love it!

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Yep, and Ron Silver was in it as well. He's an actor I always liked that died way too young.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Not sure if I’ve seen this one.

The Arrival 1996

#78 3 years ago

I like anything with nuclear war:

War Games
    Dr Strangelove

Here’s a nice 80s film. Main character gets a call by mistake about incoming nuclear attack and he wants to save his girlfriend and mom (? I think).

Miracle Mile

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m surprised at the love for ‘Prometheus’ to be honest.

While I liked the ambition of it, Prometheus is definitely a flawed film.

However, after reading this, I can never watch it the same way again;
    https://m15m.livejournal.com/23209.html

"David, stop touching the goo!"

Later,
    EV

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Would also be interesting to hear about some films that are more obscure (even if they don’t make your to 10) so that I could check them out. Sort of like honorable mentions.

Well, if we're going obscure, nothing can top the pure fun cheese-fest of all time;

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai - Across the 8th Dimension
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/

the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension.15132 (resized).jpgthe-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension.15132 (resized).jpg

It's either horribly awesome, or awesomely horrible.

Later,
    EV

#81 3 years ago

Science Fiction is my first love, so it's near impossible to cut it to ten....
    Let's try.

1. ALIEN.
    2. Escape From New York.
    3. Star Wars, 1977. Original prints.
    4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
    5. War of the Worlds, 1954.
    6. Buckaroo Banzai.
    7. MOON.
    8. Blade Runner.
    9. Outland.
    10. Silent Running.
    11. Night of the Comet.
    12. Dune, 1984.
    13. Return of the Jedi.
    14. Empire Strikes Back
    15. Logans Run.
    16. 2010, 1984
    17. Children of Men.
    18. Star Trek, the motion picture.
    19. Star Trek, the undiscovered country
    20. 2001.
    21. Serenity.
    22. Wrath of Khan.
    23. Omega Man!

And dozens of others.
    I love em all.

#82 3 years ago

Ok, I made a list of 10 sci movies that I would be down to watch at any time with a couple extras. No particular order.

Jurrasic Park
    Fith Element
    BTTF
    Aliens
    Total Recall
    Serenity
    Starship Troopers
    Demo Man
    Star Trek
    Interstellar

---extras---
    Predator
    The Martian
    Inception
    District 9

I think some of my choices are suspect, and that there are definitely better movies, but these are all my jam.
    For instance, I would say that Alien > Aliens, but I more likely to watch Aliens.
    I'm sure Demo Man will get some heat, but as a life long Taco Bell fan, this movie rocks.
    Star Trek, JJ. Yeah, I went there. I know it's not super trekky, but I love it.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Not sure about this but I like the premise of time starting over like Groundhog Day. This one may have been overlooked since it’s a German film.
    Run Lola Run

Just watched this recently. Twyker is now doing a series on German TV which is *outstanding*. "Babylon Berlin", about 1930s pre-war Germany. Awesome. ...And scary.

#84 3 years ago

Anyone else think Red Planet is under-rated and under loved?

It's easily my favorite "Mars" movie. I feel like a lot of the technology aspects were very well done and realistic or even predictive:

- AIMEE the robo-dog is amazing and you can draw a pretty straight line from the current-gen Boston Dynamics "SPOT" tech to AIMEE. By far my favorite robot in a sci fi movie (sorry R2D2), they really use the "good dog gone bad" aspect to good effect. Scary as sheeit.
    - The space-suits and rollout augmented reality display scrolls seem pretty realistic.
    - I really thought they nailed the computer voice in their suits, perfectly crisp but accelerated, just like I wish Siri sounded. Efficient.
    - The landing sequence is amaze-balls too, if a bit dated now.

The ending was always cheesy to me, but that didn't stop The Martian from stealing it...

If you've never seen it do yourself a favor and fire it up on the home theater - you're in for a treat!

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Anyone else think Red Planet is under-rated and under loved?
    It's easily my favorite "Mars" movie. I feel like a lot of the technology aspects were very well done and realistic or even predictive:
    - AIMEE the robo-dog is amazing and you can draw a pretty straight line from the current-gen Boston Dynamics "SPOT" tech to AIMEE. By far my favorite robot in a sci fi movie (sorry R2D2), they really use the "good dog gone bad" aspect to good effect. Scary as sheeit.
    - The space-suits and rollout augmented reality display scrolls seem pretty realistic.
    - I really thought they nailed the computer voice in their suits, perfectly crisp but accelerated, just like I wish Siri sounded. Efficient.
    - The landing sequence is amaze-balls too, if a bit dated now.
    The ending was always cheesy to me, but that didn't stop The Martian from stealing it...
    If you've never seen it do yourself a favor and fire it up on the home theater - you're in for a treat!

I have never seen or heard of this movie before. Now have to find out where to watch it.

#86 3 years ago

Source Code

#87 3 years ago

Children of Men!

#88 3 years ago

I really gotta re-watch Children of Men. I haven't seen it since the theater, but I remember really liking it.

#89 3 years ago

Soylent Green. Worth it for Charlton Heston’s last, brilliant over-dramatic line
    Brazil (Terry Gilliam from Monty Python)
    Robocop
    Them
    The Blob
    Godzilla...against all those huge villains, especially Mothra
    King Kong
    The Time Machine
    The Fly. The old black and white one
    The Matrix. Best.sci.fi.movie.ever

#90 3 years ago

Embarrassed to say I've never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Guess I'm waiting for the hype to die down first

#91 3 years ago

In no order.
    The Day the Earth Stood Still. 1951. Godzilla, King of the Monsters. 1956.
    Star Wars, A New Hope. 1977.
    Blade Runner. Both.
    Predator. 1987. Predators. 2010. Alien vs Predator. 2004
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind. 1977.
    Star Trek. 2009.
    Super 8. 2011.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Embarrassed to say I've never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Guess I'm waiting for the hype to die down first

Might as well start with 2010 at this point.

#93 3 years ago

Back to the Future Series
    Fantastic Voyage
    Alien series
    Predator
    Edge of Tomorrow
    AI
    Star Wars original trilogy
    ET
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    The Time Machine

#94 3 years ago

Great to see Moon on a few lists. Fantastic movie.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from dos_reboot:

Great to see Moon on a few lists.

We're waiting for yours......

#96 3 years ago

Spaceballs? Anybody? No? Ok.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Spaceballs? Anybody? No? Ok.

Little bit more of a comedy

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Science Fiction is my first love, so it's near impossible to cut it to ten....
    Let's try.

9. Outland.

Nice pick. High Noon in space with Sean Connery. Not a great film, but pretty damn good. Watched in about 3 months. He was pretty damn good in it.

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mank:

Soylent Green. Worth it for Charlton Heston’s last, brilliant over-dramatic line
    Brazil (Terry Gilliam from Monty Python)
    Robocop
    Them
    The Blob
    Godzilla...against all those huge villains, especially Mothra
    King Kong
    The Time Machine
    The Fly. The old black and white one
    The Matrix. Best.sci.fi.movie.ever

Soylent Green was the last film role of Edward G. Robinson - a major heavy in the black and white era.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Nice pick. High Noon in space with Sean Connery.

Pete Hyams making his way in with Outlander (awesome movie) and 2010.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-your-top-10-sci-fi-films-of-all-time-/page/2?hl=wayinla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.