(Topic ID: 286770)

Pinside top 10 sci-fi films discussion thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D998AE8D-C1EF-4034-A7A7-3036348AEF4E (resized).jpeg
    A5772D90-44E5-4F49-AC5A-08EB434F66F6 (resized).jpeg
    MV5BOTMyYTIyM2MtNjQ2ZC00MWFkLThhYjQtMjhjMGZiMjgwYjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension.15132 (resized).jpg
    the-green-slime-are-here-promo (resized).jpg
    Green Slime dances (resized).jpg
    Green Slime minis (resized).jpg
    Green Slime poster (resized).jpg
    06CB92D1-F16C-4840-8621-F126B5DC866A (resized).jpeg
    There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

Sci-fi including time travel, outer space, future times, post apocalyptic, zombies dystopian etc.. Please no Lotr, Conan types fantasy and no super hero films.

Not necessarily to be pinball related tho.

I’m going with

1) Star Wars a new hope
    2) Blade Runner
    3) A Clockwork Orange
    4) 2001 (a space odyssey) Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director
    5) The Terminator
    6) Aliens
    7) Empire Strikes Back
    8) inception
    9) Mad Max
    10) Alien

Honorable mention :
    The Matrix
    Tron Legacy
    Jurassic Park
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Forbidden Planet
    T2
    The Thing
    The Fifth Element
    Heavy Metal

#2 3 years ago

Event Horizon and Prometheus.Alien and Aliens for sure.District 9,Blade Runner,Escape from New York,The Thing 82,Matrix and Terminator.

#3 3 years ago

1) Star Wars Episode IV
    2) Aliens
    3) Forbidden Planet
    4) Sunshine
    5) Serenity
    6) Interstellar
    7) District 9
    8) Planet of the Apes(60s version)
    9) 2001
    10) Close Encounters

#4 3 years ago

Is Mad Max sci-fi? I'm replacing Terminator with Fifth Element, Inception with Dune, Mad Max with Matrix, A Clockwork Orange with Interstellar. No particular order. I would easily put T2 over Terminator on any list.

My Dune pick will be unpopular, but I just love it. Lynch took too much shit for that film. In my mind sci-fi is mostly space films which wouldn't include Jurasic Park and I believe Comic Book movies are fantasy, so No Guardians of the Galaxy.

2001 was a great film, but honestly, I fell asleep watching it the first four times. It is pretty boring to be honest.

This is only top 10 and Event Horizon definitely deservers to be in the top 50.

#5 3 years ago

Sci-Fi is my favorite genre.

Here we go...

Forbidden Planet
    War of the Worlds (original)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
    Dark City
    The Thing (82)
    Alien
    The Black Hole
    Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers
    Predator
    Star Trek - Wrath of Kahn

Honorable mentions:

The Time Machine, The Omega Man, Plant of the Apes (original), The Thing (52), Pitch Black

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This is only top 10 and Event Horizon definitely deservers to be in the top 50.

Event Horizon pisses me off every time I see it. There is a great movie in there, and they fucked it up big time.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Event Horizon pisses me off every time I see it. There is a great movie in there, and they fucked it up big time.

What was it? I guess a lot of it has to do with what age you saw a movie the first time. Besides Alien/Aliens that was the first movie to give me the creeps when young.

I completely fogot about Abyss, top 10 is hard, but Abyss would be close even though not outer space, but deep below the ocean.

#8 3 years ago

1. Escape From New York
    2. The Thing (1982)
    3. Beyond the Black Rainbow
    4. The Terminator (yes gritty 1 over polished 2.)
    5. They Live
    6. Videodrome
    7. The Road Warrior
    8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    9. The Fly (1986)
    10. Lifeforce

Honorable mentions:

Robocop
    Predator
    Total Recall
    Hardware
    Alien
    Blade Runner
    Akira

I left zombie movies out because that's primarily horror to me. Wanted to say Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure but that's mostly comedy to me.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What was it? I guess a lot of it has to do with what age you saw a movie the first time. Besides Alien/Aliens that was the first movie to give me the creeps when young.
    I completely fogot about Abyss, top 10 is hard, but Abyss would be close even though not outer space, but deep below the ocean.

I was 25 I think? The first half of the film is great...then it just dissolves into a Hellraiser wannabe vomit pile. The director was Paul Anderson, so we should be grateful for even a half decent film as he is such a hack.

Abyss was a great movie, as was it's sister film....can't remember the name but it started Peter Weller from RoboCop.

I was SO into film back in those years...mostly Sci-Fi..I went to conventions, film festivals, etc... - the horror genre lost me with the Scream/I Know what you did last summer films.

Did you ever see any of the Cube films? There were pretty good for indie films.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Abyss was a great movie, as was it's sister film....can't remember the name but it started Peter Weller from RoboCop.

Leviathan

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

7. The Road Warrior
    8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    9. The Fly (1986)

Nice list. The Road Warrior stands out among all the other Mad Max films, it is perfect. Just watched it a few months ago, and the last scene of Mel fading out with the voice over was so well done.

I like the 78 Invasion too, not as much as the original but it's good as well. The Fly is pretty too. Easily Croneberg's best film, or best commercial one.

#12 3 years ago

That's it. Thanks! Not as good as Abyss, but entertaining and fun.

#13 3 years ago

Ex Machina is pretty good...

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Nice list. The Road Warrior stands out among all the other Mad Max films, it is perfect. Just watched it a few months ago, and the last scene of Mel fading out with the voice over was so well done.
    I like the 78 Invasion too, not as much as the original but it's good as well. The Fly is pretty too. Easily Croneberg's best film, or best commercial one.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is just eerie and effective. I dig it. I like Videodrome over the Fly but it's still great and has such a slow cascade of gloom to it cause you know hes pretty much doomed.

7 thru 10 and the mentions are pretty much coin flips. Throw Escape from the Bronx and Class of 1999 in there too. Weird Italian stuff like Robowar and Shocking Dark also. Anything with cyborgs, post apocalyptic and dystopia, really.

#15 3 years ago

1. Contact
    2. The Matrix
    3. Blade Runner
    4. 2001: A Space Odyessy
    5. Alien
    6. Inception
    7. The Empire Strikes Back
    8. The Terminator
    9. WALL-E
    10. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

#16 3 years ago

In no particular order.

Pitch Black
    Star Wars - the real one
    T2
    Logan's Run
    The Time Machine
    Powder
    The Fly
    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Predator
    They Live

I could go on and on....

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I was 25 I think? The first half of the film is great...then it just dissolves into a Hellraiser wannabe vomit pile. The director was Paul Anderson, so we should be grateful for even a half decent film as he is such a hack.
    I was SO into film back in those years...mostly Sci-Fi..I went to conventions, film festivals, etc... - the horror genre lost me with the Scream/I Know what you did last summer films.
    Did you ever see any of the Cube films? There were pretty good for indie films.

Yeah, the first Cube was pretty cool. I didn't know they followed up. With Event Horizon, I like the Hellraiser aspect, as I wa not into the classic horror genre at the time and never saw it.

Am I the only 1984 Dune fan?

#18 3 years ago

I'm watch Looper now, as earlier today I saw to top 50 Sci-fi film lists and marked those I've never seen. I guess I'm too busy on Pinside because I'm not following well.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

No, you're not.....but it's not Top 10 material.

Now the new Denis Villenuve version has enticing potential....

My wife re-reads Dune about once a year, and says the trailer looks way more faithful to the book (aside from gender-swapping Dr. Kynes).

Later,
    EV

#20 3 years ago

OMG, don't like Bruce Wilis with side hair. Just that one thing makes is show his age.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

No, you're not.....but it's not Top 10 material.
    Now the new Denis Villenuve version has enticing potential....
    My wife re-reads Dune about once a year, and says the trailer looks way more faithful to the book (aside from gender-swapping Dr. Kynes).
    Later,
    EV

I really hope the two movie plan like the recent IT works. Goddam, I don't need another Dark Tower or Eragon F up.

#22 3 years ago

Agreed.

Hmm....Just realized that my #1 and #3 are those rare instances where the movie is BETTER than the book...

Later,
    EV

#23 3 years ago

I think Pitch Black is one of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen. It's not only a cool movie, it's a cool LOOKING movie, the way it's filmed and the use of colored filters etc.

It's the first movie I ever saw Vin Diesel in, and it was like, who the fuck is THIS guy??

Spoiler alert: I like that it's not a "happy" ending...the kids die, the female leads die, everybody dies - the only ones to escape are the convicted murderer (Diesel) and 2 others.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I think Pitch Black is one of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen. It's not only a cool movie, it's a cool LOOKING movie, the way it's filmed and the use of colored filters etc.
    It's the first movie I ever saw Vin Diesel in, and it was like, who the fuck is THIS guy??
    Spoiler alert: I like that it's not a "happy" ending...the kids die, the female leads die, everybody dies - the only ones to escape are the convicted murderer (Diesel) and 2 others.

Pitch Black was good and I saw that one in the theater. I haven't thought about it since. I don't think it would be in top 100. However, now I need to pull out the old dvd and watch again. Thanks for the reminder.

#25 3 years ago

The Cube movies were good.Forgot about those.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yeah, the first Cube was pretty cool. I didn't know they followed up. With Event Horizon, I like the Hellraiser aspect, as I wa not into the classic horror genre at the time and never saw it.

The first Cube is the best one (aren't they all), but the 2 sequels are decent enough. Check it out, they actually explain a bit more of what is going on.

I like Dune - I thought they did the best they could with it with the time they had. My biggest issue was I didn't care for the source material that much but the acting and cinematography was top notch. It got way too much criticism, but my guess was that fans of the book didn't think it was enough but the critics thought it was too much, and it was sunk.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I just watched it two days ago. The only thing that holds it back is the characterization...too edgy, too anti-hero....I get the Vin Diesel role but it was too much over the top. My favorite things about is, as you stated, is the filters they used and the shots of the planet with the rings on the horizon.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The first Cube is the best one (aren't they all), but the 2 sequels are decent enough. Check it out, they actually explain a bit more of what is going on.
    I like Dune - I thought they did the best they could with it with the time they had. My biggest issue was I didn't care for the source material that much but the acting and cinematography was top notch. It got way too much criticism, but my guess was that fans of the book didn't think it was enough but the critics thought it was too much, and it was sunk.

Funny thing is, Dune is considered one of the best Sci-fi books ever written, so hard to do in 2 hrs. I never thought a Dark Tower movie would be easy, and they properly f'd that up. David Lynch actually had a really cool vision even though Sci-fi wasn't his thing. The casting was F'ng stellar.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Funny thing is, Dune is considered one of the best Sci-fi books ever written, so hard to do in 2 hrs. I never thought a Dark Tower movie would be easy, and they properly f'd that up. David Lynch actually had a really cool vision even though Sci-fi wasn't his thing. The casting was F'ng stellar.

I know...I've tried several times and I just can't get into it. As I get older, I am leaning more into older gothic tales and the old Weird Tales pulps, but that's another thread topic.

An often overlooked film is DARK CITY that came out in the 90's, about the same time as The Matrix. Matrix gets all the fanboy and critic praise, but Dark City is the best Sci-Fil film that came out in the 90's. It's perfect in every way...story, script, effects, acting, mood...it is Proyas's best work.

#30 3 years ago

Love sci fi

Wrath of khan
    Chronicles of riddick
    Inception
    Running man
    The hidden ( great movie)
    The one ( jet li)
    Interstellar
    Terminator
    Robocop
    Terminator 2
    Last star fighter

Tried to throw out some
    That hadn’t been mentioned. Lots of good ones in the forum topic

#31 3 years ago

Forgot edge of tomorrow and oblivion

I’ve watched those 10x

#32 3 years ago

1) They Live
    2) Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure/Bogus Adventure
    3) T2
    4) Robocop
    5) Total Recall
    6) Runaway
    7) Dark City
    8) Cyborg
    9) Hardware
    10) Starchaser the Legend of Orin

#33 3 years ago

I changed my list because I had put Mad Max by mistake should be TRW. I almost replaced Inception but wanted one big budget modern special effects ( would have considered The Matrix here or Edge of Tomorrow).

1) Star Wars a new hope
    2) Blade Runner
    3) A Clockwork Orange
    4) 2001 (a space odyssey)
    5) The Terminator
    6) Aliens
    7) Empire Strikes Back
    8) inception
    9) The Road Warrior
    10) Alien

Mad Max and TRW are sci-fi because they are a dystopian or post apocalyptic film like Waterworld or The Hunger Games. Just not set that far in the future.

I picked 2001 mostly because I’m a Kubrick fan and think it’s so well filmed and Clockwork is just a great movie in the realm that I’m interested in like Fahrenheit 451 etc.

I love Dune that should be on my honorable mention.

I could have picked T2 instead of the Termiinator but can’t decide until I watch them again.

I just watched Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 and really like the first two but on the fence with 3. I liked 3 more after it was over when I was thinking about it but don’t like it as much when I was waiting. Also I saw the extended edition 3 and maybe not as good as the theatrical version which I’m planning on watching.

#34 3 years ago

Thinking back on this list maybe I should have separated it into two categories

1) outer space / space ships mandatory

2) more earth bound and just future or science like JP, Inception etc.

I’ll maybe make a new list in these two categories tonight. Anyone want to redo make two lists

1) Space ship sci-fi
    2) earth bound but future or science based like ‘The Fly’

I’m not sure tho where to put The Thing or Predator because they’re a combination but more earth bound.

#35 3 years ago

Here are many of my favorites

On the lighter side:
    Starship Troopers
    Mars Attacks
    Men In Black
    Idiocracy
    Back to the Future
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Coneheads

Other more serious ones I like:
    Knowing
    Arrival
    The Arrival
    Close Excounters
    Ad Astra
    Upgrade
    Ex Machina
    Tron (both movies)
    Independence Day
    I Robot
    The 6th Day
    Minority Report
    Total Recall
    I Am Legend / The Omega Man
    Oblivion
    Edge of Tomorrow
    The Island
    In Time
    Source Code
    Looper
    Replicas
    Cowboys vs. Aliens
    Alien vs. Predator
    Starman

Sorry that my list exceeds 10 (I did leave several off that were already mentioned - The Matrix is my #1).

#36 3 years ago

Alien
    Star Wars
    Star Trek IV
    Aliens
    Day the earth stood still (early one)
    Fantastic Voyage
    Oblivion
    War of the Worlds (early one)
    Close Encounters of the third kind

Science Fiction movies are my favorite.Hard to pick just 10

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Please no Lotr, Conan types fantasy and no super hero films.

Star Wars is as much Fantasy as it is Sci Fi. "Ooo mystical force powers and Leia floating though space without a suit" Bah!

Blade Runner
    Arrival
    Moon
    Sunshine
    Oblivion (way under-rated IMHO)
    District 9
    Red Planet
    Alien
    Jurassic Park

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Star Wars is as much Fantasy as it is Sci Fi. "Ooo mystical force powers and Leia floating though space without a suit" Bah!

06CB92D1-F16C-4840-8621-F126B5DC866A (resized).jpeg06CB92D1-F16C-4840-8621-F126B5DC866A (resized).jpeg

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Blade Runner
    Arrival
    Moon
    Sunshine
    Oblivion (way under-rated IMHO)
    District 9
    Red Planet
    Alien
    Jurassic Park

I see a lot of people liked Oblivion.I loved it.You are right.Way under rated.

#40 3 years ago

I don’t remember Oblivion, maybe I missed it.

One that I’ve seen listed that maybe people missed is the Danny Boyle film ‘Sunshine’ with Chris Evans. That was a great movie not sure why but I don’t recall it being in theaters.

#41 3 years ago

I liked The Black Hole (Disney film) but although it’s around the same time as SW and Alien didn’t really have the believable special effects.

#42 3 years ago

Awesome thread...looking through these lists I have a lot of stuff to watch. I've seen and loved most of the big name stuff, but there is a lot I have missed. I grew up on Star Trek and Star Wars. Always leaned a little more to the Trek side. I really enjoy all of the movies in both franchises, even the crappy ones. Same with the Alien franchise, Matrix, etc. Then again, I'm pretty easy to please with movies. I like a slow burn, smart movie, but I also really enjoy turning my brain off and watching stuff blow up. I'm not that picky in general. Even through I'm a huge original Star Trek fan and even really enjoy the first movie, I absolutely love the reboots, if that tells you anything, LOL.

Most of my recommendations are well covered above. I'm a little surprised to not see Back to the Future on here, or Ready Player One. Or are they generally considered more fantasy?

Love Abyss! But that reminds me...why in the blue hell do we still not have a decent release of that movie? No Blu-Ray at all, much less 4k. And even the DVD is terrible and never even had an anamorphic release as far as I remember. Ugg!

Huge props to Methos mentioning the Cube movies. Awesome movies, especially the first, but the sequels do not suck.

Surprised not to see Fifth Element mentioned more here. That would have made a great pinball machine. Same with Pitch Black/Riddick series. Fun stuff.

What about Titan AE? Been awhile since I saw it, but I remember really enjoying it. Animated though...not sure if that changes opinions.

The pinball machine got me to watch Demolition Man...which was surprisingly good. Johnny M did the same...but that was not surprisingly good, LOL. The newer Dredd movie was awesome, but again probably leans more fantasy than Sci-Fi? Fine line there.

#43 3 years ago

I’ve seen, micro budget is called Primer is an interesting time travel movie. $7K budget film.

I’ve also liked Donnie Darko as a time bender.

#44 3 years ago

How about Cowboys vs. Aliens? Not that great of a movie, but interesting concept.

Also, I'm not sure I'd put "Replicas" (Keanu Reeves) in the sci-fi genre, but I liked it.

#45 3 years ago

There’s a free sci-fi short film YouTube channel called Dust. I’ve watched quite a bit of these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dust+short+films&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’ve seen, micro budget is called Primer is an interesting time travel movie. $7K budget film.

If you enjoyed Primer, I highly recommend a 2014 film called Predestination.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Love Abyss! But that reminds me...why in the blue hell do we still not have a decent release of that movie? No Blu-Ray at all, much less 4k. And even the DVD is terrible and never even had an anamorphic release as far as I remember. Ugg!

The Abyss is one of my all time favorite films, but you have to watch the director's cut. It changes the ending and makes it a much more cohesive story overall. I've never understood why there isn't a Blu-ray of it. I've seen the theatrical release on cable in HD, but to my knowledge there is no HD version of the director's cut available anywhere.

#48 3 years ago

Cool thread.
    I’m going to think about this for a few days before I post what I think my 10 top probably are.

Would also be interesting to hear about some films that are more obscure (even if they don’t make your to 10) so that I could check them out. Sort of like honorable mentions.

A thread like this on gritty westerns would be equally cool.

#49 3 years ago

Ahh come on...I can't believe 'The Green Slime' hasn't made the list or at least been given an honourable mention!

Wait, what?...aside from the slimey space aliens, wacky special effects and the must have self martyred moron scientist, there's mini skirts and bee hive hairdos aplenty, the surprisingly awesome Steppenwolfesque theme song and then there's that 'visionary' dance sequence.

[Note: Been playing a lot of Transporter the Rescue lately.]

Green Slime dances (resized).jpgGreen Slime dances (resized).jpgGreen Slime minis (resized).jpgGreen Slime minis (resized).jpgGreen Slime poster (resized).jpgGreen Slime poster (resized).jpgthe-green-slime-are-here-promo (resized).jpgthe-green-slime-are-here-promo (resized).jpg
    #50 3 years ago

10 Ad Astra
    9 Wrath of Khan
    8 Starman
    7 Prometheus
    6 Superman 2
    6 Donnie Darko
    5 Planet of the Apes
    4 Escape from New York
    3 Terminator
    2 Alien(s)
    1 2001

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-your-top-10-sci-fi-films-of-all-time- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.