(Topic ID: 96043)

List of Wms. EM's With BOTH AAB & Replay Features......

By Boatcat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

These type of games were just mentioned in another thread. I happen to have 1 of 'em, (Paddock), and really like the possibility of adding several balls during a single ball in play. You can play on to win free games via high score, and the game has a replay window in the backglass, but this one offers no specials at all, (like a '50's, '60's multiplayer).
I know there are others like this game, "Klondike" and "Jive Time" for example, but I'd really like to see a complete list of these, particularly those that also offer a replay special. Thanks in advance! Ron

#2 9 years ago

1973 Williams Gulfstream.

Replays and extra balls can be won at the same time same just like my Klondike, Great game too!

I'm not an AAB guy but when you have a good game that combines the two I think it's the best.

A true win-win situation!

Ken

#3 9 years ago

You can probably build a list pretty easily by going to IPDB.org. Do an "Advance" Search by selecting only the manufacturer: Williams Electronics, Inc. (1967-1985) and then click on the DATE header and it will sort them by date.

Since Gottlieb typically created special games specific to AAB territory, the playfield specials would be labeled WOW.

Bally also made many Balls To Play single player games in the early 70's. So a similar search should net you those games. But it may take owners of ever game to confirm the option exists.

It is unlikely that any multiplayer game would support banking extra balls (typically Ball in Play, not Balls to Play) so then, you are only looking at Single Player games. You can then pop up a picture of the playfield and look for specials. Or, like in the case of Doodle Bug, the on playfield special is labeled as "Extra Ball" so therefore, could never award a replay off anything other than score and match.

Once you have your list, post it here for the rest of us to enjoy!

#4 9 years ago

^ This is not "pretty easily"! Not even sure exactly how you suggest we identify these. Did WMS make pure AAB games, or were all the games that had "Balls to Play" counters on the bg convertible games?

That said, I'll add Blue Chip to the list!

#5 9 years ago

WMS Straight Flush (1970) has replay, AAB, and novelty settings. In the latter mode specials score 100k points.

#6 9 years ago

WMS Granada (1972) is AAB-only, according to IPDB. Its sibling, Spanish Eyes, is convertible between AAB, replay, and novelty.

#7 9 years ago

Triple Strike and Triple Action are both convertible with three modes. Novelty, replay, extra ball.

#8 9 years ago

Some Zaccaria EM games were convertible to true AAB. I had a Supersonic that had lamps and numbers behind the back glass for up to nine balls, and a ball count that went up to nine. It was convertible from replay to AAB and novelty. On replay, the specials and high scores gave free games, on AAB, they gave extra balls. It was just like playing a true AAB game. Not all of the games had the option, I had another that was replay only, and the Italian version was AAB only.

#9 9 years ago

Well, here is a list of single player WMS games 1967 or newer.
First Name is the Replay version. Usually supports AAB and maybe Novelty mode too.
Second Name is the AAB version. These usually supported Novelty mode also. Sometimes, they would also feature extended scoring (see reverse backglass of High Ace).
(R/A/N) = Replay/AAB/Novelty according to the flyer.
(R/N) = Replay/Novelty according to the flyer.
Games preceeded with * I personally know to be Balls to Play count to 9 or 10 (see note).
If other owners want to comment, I will update my list accordingly.

Apollo / Blast Off
Touch Down / Kick Off
Ding Dong / Smarty
Doozie / Daffie
Miss O / Cue T
Paddock / Post Time
Seven Up / Set Up
* Jive Time / Rock n Roll
* Straight Flush (R/A/N) / 3 Jokers
* Doodle Bug (R/N) / Love Bug
* Klondike (R/N) / Yukon / Yukon Special
Granda (No Replay Twin - AAB only)
* Spanish Eyes (No AAB Twin - R/N)
* Super Star (R/A/N) / Big Star
Travel Time (Timed Play with Replays for score and Match)/ Summer Time (Timed Play with Novelty)
* Gulfstream (R/A/N) / Tropic Fun
* Triple Action (R/A/N) / Star Action
* Skylab (R/A/N) / Space Lab
* Lucky Ace (R/A/N)
Big Ben (R/A/N)
Triple Strike (R/A/N)
Blue Chip (R/A/N)
Wild Card (R/A/N)

Note: Some games feature Backglass Screening to 10 balls but the Light Socket was not installed.

Post edited by CactusJack: Added Summer Time twin to Travel Time

#10 9 years ago

Sorry gentlemen..............I should've been more specific.

What I mean't were Wms. Games that played like a replay and AAB game simultaneously. In other words, replay games with "Balls to Play" feature where as many as 9-10 balls could be obtained, and several free balls could be won during any single ball.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Travel Time (No AAB or Replay Twin - Timed play)

TT is kind of funny. It's actually a replay game--you can win a free game with a high score. It's twin, Summer Time, is an AAB game (sorta), as reaching a high score adds more time, effectively adding a ball to continue the game.

#12 9 years ago

Williams Space Mission

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

What I mean't were Wms. Games that played like a replay and AAB game simultaneously. In other words, replay games with "Balls to Play" feature where as many as 9-10 balls could be obtained, and several free balls could be won during any single ball.

Triple Action has this capability. You could get replays via score, and extra balls via the drop targets. Triple Strike has a shoot again feature but I believe it's only one ball-I'm picking it up this weekend so I'll know for sure soon.

TA had a Jones plug in the backbox with four possible positions. Straight AAB, straight replay, what I posted above, and novelty.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

The games I have put an * in front of in my list above ARE exactly as you desire. They have on playfield specials that award an Extra Ball (increase Balls to Play each and every time you score it) and also award Replays for Score levels and Match. They have Backglass "Balls to Play" numbered at least to 9, sometimes 10.

Also, these games have a special attribute (whether a design flaw or intentional). Most of them, if the left coin chute is enabled (usually a US Dime 10c), the first coin drop will reset the game and run the ball count to 5. If you drop a second coin in, it will increase your ball count to either 9 or 10. This does not happen with the press of the start button. A second press will usually run the balls off and then run them back up to 5. However, you can push the button for the first 5 balls (fresh reset) and then drop a dime for 4 or 5 more balls.

As to Space Mission (and any other multiplayer game of that era), no, it cannot bank extra balls, only one "Same Player Shoots again" is available if NOT set to replay.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, Klondike and Gulfstream also have a special feature that will/can award a replay off the playfield (while still awarding extra balls for SPECIAL etc.). Gulfstream features the four corners special (adjustable from 2 or 3 replays) and Klondike features the 3 Wagons (1, 2 or 3 Replays).

#15 9 years ago

Below is a similar list of Bally Single Player games starting in 1969. They too are convertable and probably feature up to 9 balls per play when set to Add A Ball mode. I just can't remember if they support on playfield Add A Balls while still supporting Score and Match Replays (its been too long since I had any set up). The Schematic for Hi Lo Ace seems to indicate it does but I cannot tell if the 3 Jones Plugs are joined or are separate for changing from Replay/AAB/Novelty.

Current Owners can comment and I can edit the list accordingly.

Op Pop Pop
On Beam
Ten Pin
King Tut (King Rex - Add A Ball)
Bowl O
Trail Drive
4 Queens
Express Way
El Toro (1 to 5 Balls only - Shoot Again light)
Odds and Evens
Hi-Lo Ace
Sky Kings
Delta Queen
Bon Voyage
Hi Deal

#16 9 years ago

Odds and Evens is either AAB or replay. No ability to add balls and still get replays.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

These type of games were just mentioned in another thread. I happen to have 1 of 'em, (Paddock), and really like the possibility of adding several balls during a single ball in play. You can play on to win free games via high score, and the game has a replay window in the backglass, but this one offers no specials at all, (like a '50's, '60's multiplayer).

A game to add to your listing is "Post Time", which IPDB lists as the "Add a ball" version of Paddock (Scoring on Post Time is also higher). However you can also switch from "Add a ball" to "Extended Play" which instead has the ball kick back out from between the flippers after draining to extend play. I don't know if Paddock also has this feature or how this factors into your listing, but that's a fun feature to keep play going without having to re-shoot.

#18 9 years ago

In general, Gottlieb probably was better at game play, but WMS and Bally tended to be more inventive.

#19 9 years ago

I don't know about some of the others, but "Hi-Lo Ace" doesn't 'knock' when it's set to AAB. That's because the switch for the knocker is on the replay unit, but isn't duplicated on the ball count unit. That's one drawback on that game which is otherwise very good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 24.98
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-of-wms-ems-with-both-aab-replay-features and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.