(Topic ID: 290599)

List of pinball machines by category/theme?

By outlanewiz

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by I_P_D_B
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img20210325_12525603 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi!

I am hoping to present to a college class the number of pinball machines in various categories, however, it's proven difficult to find any such list. Do you know of a breakdown of pinball machines by category or theme? For example, looking to see how many sports themed pinballs there are vs music band vs movie/TV.

#2 3 years ago

You can do an advanced search on IPDB.org and enter themes for criteria. Not sure it's entirely consistent though.

#3 3 years ago

You can search by tags here on Pinside. For example "music".

#4 3 years ago

Yeah IPDB is probably a great start. You'll need to get a little more specific than sports. Looks like they made over 1,000 sports themed games. Of course for some titles you are facing replay, add-a-ball, and an Italian version for the same game theoretically.

Football- 70
    Soccer- 56
    Baseball- 269 but deduct 122 bat games and deduct 10 "not a pinball"
    Bowling - 72
    Billiards- 92

#5 3 years ago

sports theme featuring scantily clad women - 33%

Sci fi theme featuring same - 33%

40 year old rock bands - 33%

You’re welcome!

#6 3 years ago

Interesting project. Are you trying to make a particular point to the class?

#7 3 years ago

Great idea and would be cool to hear what you put together to present. Hope you can find enough info to do this.

#8 3 years ago

You can do that here too. Click on the machines link up in the Pinside banner. On the left side mid-page there will be a search bar under category. You can even narrow it down from sports to soccer, football etc... you can also search said categories by manufacture, era, etc...It’s quite the wormhole.

edit to add the search bar you want is labeled “tag”

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from outlanewiz:

I am hoping to present to a college class the number of pinball machines in various categories, however, it's proven difficult to find any such list.

Someone did a master's thesis on that very topic in the 1980s. I may have some clues, and a search of r.g.p should provide clues.
    .................David Marston

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSwanson:

Interesting project. Are you trying to make a particular point to the class?

Thank you all for the thoughts! My goal is to encourage more people to play pinball. I'm trying to make the point that there is a huge diversity of themes and genres in pinball, so there's bound to be one you (the class) will connect with. The class is about communicating with data so I have to put together multiple data charts...hence why I was thinking # pinball themes by category/genre would be a fun place to start.

#11 3 years ago

I found one reference that's probably relevant, from the late Russ Jensen.
    Thesis titled "Art and Design of Pinball Machines; Proposal for More Aesthetically Designed Machines" which was submitted by Chad Dresbach in May 1996 to Kent State University in Ohio for partial fulfillment of a Master of Arts degree.

I think there is another thesis that is more of an inventory approach.

#12 3 years ago

An article titled 'Trends In U.S.A. Pinball Machine Motifs, 1947-1981' by Terry Cumming appeared in the May-June 1988 issue of The Pinball Trader. I would be glad to post the entire article here but I would prefer to get Terry's permission to do so. If anyone is aware of Terry's whereabouts these days please ask him to contact me. Thanks! [email protected]

This is the lead paragraph to the article:

img20210325_12525603 (resized).jpgimg20210325_12525603 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from outlanewiz:

Thank you all for the thoughts! My goal is to encourage more people to play pinball. I'm trying to make the point that there is a huge diversity of themes and genres in pinball, so there's bound to be one you (the class) will connect with. The class is about communicating with data so I have to put together multiple data charts...hence why I was thinking # pinball themes by category/genre would be a fun place to start.

I hope you share the results with us. You've piqued my interest.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

An article titled 'Trends In U.S.A. Pinball Machine Motifs, 1947-1981' by Terry Cumming appeared in the May-June 1988 issue of The Pinball Trader.

That is the thesis with the inventory approach that I was referencing earlier. Now we just need someone to add 40 more years worth of inventory. I think the IPDB theme keywords should cover the newer games pretty well.

1 month later
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Yeah IPDB is probably a great start. You'll need to get a little more specific than sports. Looks like they made over 1,000 sports themed games.

Hi, I was surfing today and saw this thread. Sports is the one theme on the IPDB where I consistently try to tag a game with both the general term "Sports" as well as the specific sport (baseball, football, etc.).

You may have figured this because your estimation is close to what comes up when Advance Searching for "Sports", 949 games as of today.

But, yeah, there could be games never categorized until I have a second reason to update the listing.

Thank you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-of-pinball-machines-by-category-theme?hl=ronswanson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.