Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Dr_Gonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

The "game suitable for competition" is not black and white. Games may be tweaked mechanically, by bypassing switches or by rules adjustment to tone down what would otherwise be an issue.

People should distinguish between high level competition and the more common level. A lot of the games under concern are fine in most competitive settings.

Also, the term "exploit" should be used with care. There is a difference between straight bugs. And a non-obvious, perhaps risky and perhaps monotome path to points.

Major concerns are bugs that randomly or even semi-randomly dooms a player from winning the game. Or bringing an unfair battleground. As well as silly scoring that skeews the luck/skill balance way off, and cannot be had in a competition setting.

Further concerns are game progress, jackpot values etc. that are shared between players or even between games. Sometimes rediculous, and sometimes fun and games. Again, not black and white.

The concern of long playing games and repetitive shot strategies is really not an issue with competition play in general. It is an event concern. Stamina games require skill to execute well on. But long playing times are hard to deal with. So TD's may choose to not use such games.

Same goes for the plunge-over, repetitive video mode strategies, modes timeout and likewise not-much-flipping-here play. TD's may find this not suitable, too little pinball action, too long playing times or whatever. And abandon those games.

BTW. Just released, a software mod for The Getaway, that resurrects it for competition play.

See topic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/four-new-pinball-software-mods-dm-sttng-hs2-jy

#52 6 years ago

I'm curious as to what the genreal consensus would be on Tee'd Off. It has the Skins Double Your Score feature... however, it's optional to play, you must make shots that range in difficulty depending on your current score to achieve it....and your score can be completely wiped out if you drain during Skins!
I had a 780mil score wiped out due to a bad bounce during the Skins! game. Finished with only the 3 mil bonus for ball 3.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I'm curious as to what the general consensus would be on Tee'd Off.

God-awful piece of crap.

Not only is the double your score mode potentially game-breaking, I've seen players not sure what they're being asked choose it, drain, and feel cheated. I mean, when a game asks "double or nothing?" I'd assume it means for the mode (like Jackbot), not your entire score.

Plus there's a multiball you can only get by spelling gopher on on the roulette wheel. And I think there might be a mystery award multiball too. Worst league game we ever played in 12 years of CPM.

#54 6 years ago

In Mario Andretti you can get fuel trade double your score over and over it does not take the fuel away from you.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

God-awful piece of crap.
Not only is the double your score mode potentially game-breaking, I've seen players not sure what they're being asked choose it, drain, and feel cheated. I mean, when a game asks "double or nothing?" I'd assume it means for the mode (like Jackbot), not your entire score.
Plus there's a multiball you can only get by spelling gopher on on the roulette wheel. And I think there might be a mystery award multiball too. Worst league game we ever played in 12 years of CPM.

Teed off is actually a fantastic game once u learn how to play. Super fun ruleset and any unbalance can be fixed by putting it in tounament mode.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

In Mario Andretti you can get fuel trade double your score over and over it does not take the fuel away from you.

Big Hurt does the same

9 months later
#57 5 years ago

What's the known gladiator bug..
Is it that you can just keep hitting the pops catch n hit...?

2 weeks later
#58 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i lost a first place on rocky and bullwinkle at pinburgh as player 4 got 2 double your score awards on ball 3 O_o To be fair, after the second one which barely passed me, he still had the ball in play so could have beat me anyways. but was kinda lame

My ears are burning.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

My ears are burning.

Jesus a 4 player game of R&B....I'd just start walking to the goddamn airport.

#60 5 years ago

How are game with Midnight Madness, including Ghostbusters, not banned?

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

How are game with Midnight Madness, including Ghostbusters, not banned?

On most it's disablable. And if not, just don't play it at midnight?

#62 5 years ago

Yes, tournament setting disables MM

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

On most it's disablable. And if not, just don't play it at midnight?

Well, so happened GB pro went into Midnight Madness when I was playing it during a league night around 8:15 pm. That was when GB was about 2 months old at the time. I would have ti beleive the time was set wrong from the factory.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I would have ti beleive the time was set wrong from the factory.

Oh heavens!

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Yes, tournament setting disables MM

Good info. Others set up games for the tournament so I was unaware.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

What's the known gladiator bug..
Is it that you can just keep hitting the pops catch n hit...?

No. You get to the final mode of the game. Its a MB that builds a jackpot value with certain shots (collected in the slay the beast mode and as a ball three end of ball bonus). If you can trap up on the bottom left flipper and upper right, you can just hit the upper turnaround, ramp off the upper left flipper back to a perfect trap on the right upper flipper. Impossible to miss.

Then it’s a matter of building the jackpot value to your heart’s desire. I think the game rolls at 10 billion.

#67 5 years ago

Someone should host an April Fool's Day tournament where all the pins are as annoyingly exploitable and buggy as possible.

#68 5 years ago

I'm curious what people think about Bally's Beat the Clock. An unusual time based game. We just had it in a tournament, mixed comments overall.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

I'm curious what people think about Bally's Beat the Clock. An unusual time based game. We just had it in a tournament, mixed comments overall.

I played one in a large Seattle tourney about a year ago. It seems like a good enough tournament game to me. While timed games are unusual, this one does a good job of making it balanced.

#70 5 years ago

If you like buggy, go for the prototype Getaway roms that contain the 6th gear award and every player should try to start secret mania... That really makes the game do some strange shit like lose track of locked balls, end balls randomly during play, and award Freeway points at random. It sounds like fun but it actually suks.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Technically, timed games like BTC only count 1/3 towards TGP in an IFPA event.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

The game is a gem. Perfect playfield layout. And game play where you are constantly trying to balance the strat. Point? Or multipliers? Or time? Then you hit stop time, and the game changes completely. To control play. Awesome game.

The only problem is the flipper mechs. Set the flipper super flopped for harder traps.

Just sold mine. You know, games gotta go. But I will regret some day.

This has to be the best Bally 6803 game of them all.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

We'll use DW no problem for our events. Off the top of my head, here's a random list of WPC games we don't use because of software issues:
Terminator 2
Getaway
No Good Gofers
Tales of the Arabian Nights

What's the NGG issue? I've never heard of once.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

What's the NGG issue? I've never heard of once.

From papa table notes.

"No Good Gofers has several bugs that make the game a poor competitive choice. Examples include but are not limited to: Free lock award can cause problems during subsequent multiballs after a player has scored a super jackpot. Bud will sometimes block the ramp during ripoff. Quick Jackpot award from the wheel does not always score correctly. Cart Attack scoring can become unbalanced and score 50m."

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

From papa table notes.
"No Good Gofers has several bugs that make the game a poor competitive choice. Examples include but are not limited to: Free lock award can cause problems during subsequent multiballs after a player has scored a super jackpot. Bud will sometimes block the ramp during ripoff. Quick Jackpot award from the wheel does not always score correctly. Cart Attack scoring can become unbalanced and score 50m."

Thanks, I sure have never been lucky enough to get 50m out of cart attack. Would come in handy on that game as it's a tough one to score big on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-of-ifpa-banned-tables/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.