(Topic ID: 61997)

List of games with Roto-Targets

By RyanClaytor

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lbRoto.jpg
    kodRoto.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

So, I just listened to James Willing's latest edition of his brilliant "EM Dungeon" via the Spooky Pinball Podcast. On this episode, he talked about Roto-Targets and mentioned a couple games: King of Diamonds (1967) and Oklahoma (1961). I'm curious to find-out about other games with roto-targets. Anyone care to contribute to a list here?

Also, I've played EM's with roto-targets that are, like, embedded in the playfield(?). Hard to describe, but there were clear playfield inserts with numbers UNDERNEATH the inserts. Those insert numbers would spin and reveal a new number. Are those also called roto-targets, or is that name reserved for the vertically oriented units?

As a side note, I tried looking up Roto-Targets via IPDB's advanced search under "specialty." I've used that feature to find games with animated backboxes in the past, but unfortunately it did not have a section for games with Roto-Targets. If there are any folks from the IPDB, is there any chance we could get that section added? Maybe after this thread runs for a bit it could help establish an initial list for that subsection of the database.

Thanks for your time, everyone!
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

kodRoto.jpgkodRoto.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Gottlieb Close Encounters of the Third Kind has a disk roto target in the upper right corner.

#3 10 years ago

Gottlieb Grand slam

#4 10 years ago

Gottlieb Circus has the disc kind as well.

#5 10 years ago

Just discovered a couple more: Liberty Belle (1962) and Derby Day (1967).

lbRoto.jpglbRoto.jpg

Also, in poking around the IPDB glossary, I think I found the name of those alternate roto-targets I was describing above, "Disk roto-targets." Duh.

#6 10 years ago

all types of roto-targets

Here is a bunch of them collated into excel from IPDB.org
    This is all listed.

Angels
    Atlas
    Blackbelt
    Brite Star
    Buckaroo
    Circus
    City Ship
    Close Encounters
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Contest
    Corral
    Cosmos
    Cow Poke
    Criss Cross
    Dancing Lady
    Diamond Jack
    1p
    Domino
    Falstaff
    Faukland
    Festival
    First Bolide
    Flipper Clown
    1p
    Flipper Cowboy
    1p
    Flipper Parade
    1p
    Gaucho
    Grand Slam
    Grande Domino
    Hi Dolly
    Hit-A-Card
    Hockey Girl
    Jet Spin
    Khalifa
    King of Diamonds
    King of Diamonds
    Liberty Belle
    Majestic
    Melody Lane
    Oklahoma
    Picnic
    PlayMates
    Rancho
    1p
    Rey de Diamantes
    Riviera
    Rocket Ship
    Royal Flush
    Sea Shore
    Sea Side
    Shanghai
    Ship-Mates
    Silver
    Sindbad
    Sittin' Pretty
    Sky Fly
    Solitaire
    Spin Out
    Straight Flush
    Super Circus
    Super Spin
    Surf Side
    Sweet Sioux
    Sweet Sioux
    Texan
    Texan
    Texan
    Torch
    Wagon Train
    Whirl-Wind
    Win A Card
    World Series

#7 10 years ago

suave84, dasvis, and gov, thanks for chiming in.

Gov, thanks for mentioning Gotlieb's "Circus," but that isn't quite the type of "disc" target I was referring to.

I just went back to my pix and vids from this year's Michigan Pinball Expo and found a few titles that have the kinds of targets I'm referring to. Here's a video from Gottlieb's "Happy Clown" (1964) that has the type of targets I'm talking about:

Anyone know what these are called?

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Here is a bunch of them collated into excel from IPDB.org

Wow! Fabulous! Thanks a bunch, Shoot_Again. I tried looking for them on IPDB, but was unsuccessful. Do you mind telling me how you compiled that list?

Thanks,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#9 10 years ago

No trouble at all glad to help.
    I searched ipdb.org for "roto-targets" bringing up all types. Then copied and pasted entire page into microsoft excel. Paste special / values / collated. Then copy the column of names and paste it to you here.

#10 10 years ago

Yes, Happy Clown has an under playfield projection roto. Paradise/Pleasure Isle is another one that has this feature. There are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

That roto on Corral is brutal. It's like trying to shoot a proton torpedo down the exhaust port on the Deathstar. Very tight shot but satisfying if you can get it.
    Alex

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I searched ipdb.org for "roto-targets" bringing up all types. Then copied and pasted entire page into microsoft excel. Paste special / values / collated. Then copy the column of names and paste it to you here.

You are the coolest. Thanks for breaking it down. For some reason when I searched for roto-targets I got nothin'.

Quoted from AlexF:

That roto on Corral is brutal. It's like trying to shoot a proton torpedo down the exhaust port on the Deathstar. Very tight shot but satisfying if you can get it.

Neat! I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Paradise/Pleasure Isle is another one that has this feature. There are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

How about Dodge City (1965) and Masquerade (1966). Just uploaded a couple more vids I shot at the MPE. (Pay no attention to gameplay, was filming with one hand and flipping w/ the other. )

#13 10 years ago

I just played a buckaroo:

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

You are the coolest. Thanks for breaking it down. For some reason when I searched for roto-targets I got nothin'.

Neat! I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

Can search ipdb like this:

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?ft=roto&searchtype=advanced

Comes up with 88 games.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Can search ipdb like this:

Oh! Perfect! Man, I love the pinball community. Thanks a bunch, DirtFlipper.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/list-of-games-with-roto-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.