Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 139 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bangerjay
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3d_printed_ramp (resized).jpg
    lionman2.0b (resized).png
    lionman2.0a (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180629-141546_Metal Pro (resized).jpg
    lionman_v1.1_(resized).jpg
    lionman_2.25_(resized).jpg
    lionman_flat_center_(resized).jpg
    virtual_lionman2_(resized).jpg
    virtual_lionman1_(resized).jpg
    zacc_(resized).png
    lionman_under_Glass_(resized).jpg
    single_cabinet_(resized).jpg
    4-cabinets_tied_together_(resized).jpg
    lionman_layout_(resized).jpg
    lionman_2.21.16_(resized).jpg
    transition2_(resized).jpg

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

- no cradling. Have the flipper coils only be allowed to hold for 3 secs max.

Could be designed with no inlanes. This would speed up gameplay too.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

If you guys want me to score some epic music in FM synthesis like SoF for this when the time comes, I will gladly do it. Baroque FM synthesizer scoring sounds fun. I've got my Yamaha TX81Z ready to go.

I have had all kind of crazy quadraphonic speaker ideas in my head since I wrote this. Imagine 4 speakers on this monster on the 4 corners, each pointed at an outward diagonal so that a player's left speaker would be the right speaker of the person to the left of them. You could do all kinds of crazy swirling sound effects with panning between 4 speakers, and it would be a hell of a lot easier than a stereo panel for each table as far as custom audio goes. You'd just program 2 stereo speaker sets.

The music would all have to be a looping background song during gameplay or else it would be a clusterfuck with multiple music tracks at once (unless they are designed to all have separate songs that sync up and "play" together, so it only gets all 4 tracks playing when 4 people are playing), but the individual sound effects could be really cool and could even indicate what is coming to you and where it is coming from with panning around.

#103 8 years ago

I think one background track with sound effects from each playfield, albeit minimal

#104 8 years ago

I like the swirling sound effect idea, I'm just not smart enough to tackle that

#105 8 years ago

Dress a baby up as a lion and put it in a cage in the center.

#106 8 years ago

a lot could be communicated with lighting even with the one music track. if say one player has a powerup ready that player's playfield could be lit all strobey with a change in the overall music feel until they use it or time runs out. this could then allow the other players to try and gang up on that player by making any shots that would deprive that player of scoring opportunities.

#107 8 years ago

Put the whole thing on a merry go round & force the players to play while they spin in circles & we shoot them with water guns full of Shasta.

Put the music/speakers stationary off the merry go round so they get swirling audio experience as well.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I'm liking either the flat top center

I say we go with flat. I'm imagining at least 3 bad scenarios:
    1. Someone pulls off one of the glass to retrieve a stuck ball, cuts them-self on the sharp corner
    2. Someone leans on the unsupported middle, breaks at least one sheet of glass and fills all 4 playfields with shards costing you time for cleanup, and at least $50 plus shipping for a new piece
    3. Someone not only leans and breaks glass, but puts hand into center, breaks the center bowl, and cuts up their hand on the broken glass

I'll design some sort of frame for the middle piece that can attach to the cabinets. The playfields can remain 45 degrees, nothing bad is likely to happen to a playfield.

Made a few tweaks to future pinball, latest download (left click link, then hit download button in upper right corner, do not save link as):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jnefp50ezfrfsw/lionman_1.1.fpt

lionman_v1.1_(resized).jpglionman_v1.1_(resized).jpg

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I like the swirling sound effect idea, I'm just not smart enough to tackle that

I'm not either, but I can try and help with that

#110 8 years ago

Wow, so glad LIONMAN!

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I say we go with flat. I'm imagining at least 3 bad scenarios:
    1. Someone pulls off one of the glass to retrieve a stuck ball, cuts them-self on the sharp corner
    2. Someone leans on the unsupported middle, breaks at least one sheet of glass and fills all 4 playfields with shards costing you time for cleanup, and at least $50 plus shipping for a new piece
    3. Someone not only leans and breaks glass, but puts hand into center, breaks the center bowl, and cuts up their hand on the broken glass
    I'll design some sort of frame for the middle piece that can attach to the cabinets. The playfields can remain 45 degrees, nothing bad is likely to happen to a playfield.
    Made a few tweaks to future pinball, latest download (left click link, then hit download button in upper right corner, do not save link as):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jnefp50ezfrfsw/lionman_1.1.fpt
    lionman_v1.1_(resized).jpg

How big is the center area? If you use 1/4" plate glass with polished edges and have it tempered you should be fine. If anything should happen, the worst thing would be cleaning up all the little shards of glass! Any glass company should be able to help you out, If you were in Topeka, KS I would be glad to help with the glass! Yes, I work for a glass company.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

How big is the center area? If you use 1/4" plate glass with polished edges and have it tempered you should be fine

I believe it's a 22" square. I'm going to create some sort of frame to support it. Going to stick with standard 3/16" thickness glass.

#113 8 years ago

This is epic. Have you guys thought about maybe adding a big dome like piece of PETG under the funnel at the top to unit that covers everything starting at the intersect of all for sides of each playfield that make the top sphere-like smooth so you don't get ball hops from side to side and at the same time would really make the ball travel random à la Orbitor 1.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Have you guys thought about maybe adding a big dome like piece of PETG under the funnel at the top to unit that covers everything starting at the intersect of all for sides of each playfield that make the top sphere-like smooth so you don't get ball hops from side to side and at the same time would really make the ball travel random à la Orbitor 1.

Jay wants to add a spinner in the center, it'll help randomize where balls go. I wanted to show it in the future pinball simulation, but I couldn't figure out the scripting to get it to spin.

#115 8 years ago

i know a few spinners...

#116 8 years ago

The spinner might throw off the ball travel to the opposing player, but we'll see how that plays out

#117 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I believe it's a 22" square. I'm going to create some sort of frame to support it. Going to stick with standard 3/16" thickness glass.

3/16 tempered should be fine. If you are concerned about the edges, have them rounded before they temper it. Depending on the glass company, they will either cut and round the edges and then send the glass off to be tempered or they will just give the specs to the glass manufacture and let them do it.

#118 8 years ago

lionMEN!

#119 8 years ago

You know for the legs you could just get some that are made backwards and have them mount on the inside of the corners between tables instead of the normal way on on the outside of the corner. Then each cabinet can stand on 3 legs while moving/assembling and when together would have 4 supporting the "center" section of the cabinet. Then you just put some bracket inside the cabinets to lock them together.

my ideal is assuming that the cabinets will be assembled first then the play fields put in after.

#120 8 years ago

if you go with the 5 piece design (center stand-alone section and 4 game sections) you can make a plywood pyramid for the center and then sand down the corners (might have to use 3/4" wood and some filler, or fiberglass). leveling, set-up and moving will be easier. you would need to do some cuts in the ramps and lane guides, but it should be easier to service.

what about have the balls go into the pyramid through a tube and have an under playfield flap fire them back to the player. I was thinking of rules like if more than one player shoots the bowl then the first player in gets all the balls, or random? the mech could be a rotating ball trough.

like I said, shots on goal.

-c

2 years later
    #121 5 years ago

saw this on fun with bonus

Screenshot_20180629-141546_Metal Pro (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180629-141546_Metal Pro (resized).jpg
    #122 5 years ago

One of these days, I’ll get on this

#123 5 years ago

Man, it was rolling along so well! What happened?

#124 5 years ago

toyotaboy that's my maschine in the video. Need to take a proper gameplay video but it's kind of hard to do with two playfields and two DMDs.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Man, it was rolling along so well! What happened?

My programmer got famous..

#126 5 years ago

Don’t forget the myriad of Hitler modes. Hitler reacts to Lionman pin Wizard mode. Awwww yeah...

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

My programmer got famous..

Programming shouldn't hold you back. Get a fun playing whitewood without code, someone is bound to step up. If nothing else (scott would know more than anyone) there ought to be a basic framework on PROC that gives you a functioning game (ball serving, score keeping, attaching sounds to shots). Only big difference in your game is ball trough management (how many balls in each trough at end game.. too many? Fire it up the shooter lane to the next table until all are even).

#128 5 years ago

LIONMAN

4 months later
    #130 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Programming shouldn't hold you back. Get a fun playing whitewood without code, someone is bound to step up. If nothing else (scott would know more than anyone) there ought to be a basic framework on PROC that gives you a functioning game (ball serving, score keeping, attaching sounds to shots). Only big difference in your game is ball trough management (how many balls in each trough at end game.. too many? Fire it up the shooter lane to the next table until all are even).

Sounds like Jay found his next programmer!

#131 5 years ago

Haven’t given up entirely just yet...

#132 5 years ago

That's my game in the stream. It runs on the Mission Pinball Framework (http://missionpinball.org/). You can totally get a flipping game quickly without writing any code with MPF. You can also create modes in code. Shoot X 10 times, play a sound, shoot Y get multiball is simple to do. Some advanced stuff is easier to do in code though (which works hand in hand with config modes). Sometimes it's a matter of taste but in general most things can be done without writing code in MPF.

Jan

#133 5 years ago

Need to get away from proposed renderings and actually just do it. Yesterday I re-modeled up the center bowl ramp, broke it up into 4 pieces (maximizing the size to fit in my printer) and got some parts printed up yesterday and overnight.
    lionman2.0a (resized).pnglionman2.0a (resized).png
    lionman2.0b (resized).pnglionman2.0b (resized).png
    3d_printed_ramp (resized).jpg3d_printed_ramp (resized).jpg

The center chunk is split up into 8 pieces and could theoretically be 3d printed (6 hours each) to make the center piece separate, and eliminate the need to construct complicated woodworking to make the flat pyramid.

#134 5 years ago

That looks pretty

1 month later
    #135 5 years ago

More updates please

#136 5 years ago

Drowning in pins now, as soon as I get my workspace back I’ll start monkeying with it again

3 years later
    #137 1 year ago

bangerjay any chance you'll start monkeying with this again?
    Always fun with non conventional projects, presenting new problems which give birth to some intriguing solutions.

Looking forward to any update.
    LIONMAN!

#138 1 year ago

Pinball Olympics stole all of Jay's time.
    PBO is 100 times better than any one pinball machine could ever be, so all is right within pinball world.

#139 1 year ago

I still think about revisiting this, but making it a true junkyard machine

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lionman-custom-game/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.