3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by bangerjay
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3d_printed_ramp (resized).jpg
    lionman2.0b (resized).png
    lionman2.0a (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180629-141546_Metal Pro (resized).jpg
    lionman_v1.1_(resized).jpg
    lionman_2.25_(resized).jpg
    lionman_flat_center_(resized).jpg
    virtual_lionman2_(resized).jpg
    virtual_lionman1_(resized).jpg
    zacc_(resized).png
    lionman_under_Glass_(resized).jpg
    single_cabinet_(resized).jpg
    4-cabinets_tied_together_(resized).jpg
    lionman_layout_(resized).jpg
    lionman_2.21.16_(resized).jpg
    transition2_(resized).jpg

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

Working on a custom one-off simultaneous four-player pinballimage.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Finally, a thread I can say it in... LIONMAN!

#3 3 years ago

Awesome. Can't wait to play it at next year's pinball life explosion!

#4 3 years ago

oh yeah, Lionman.

#5 3 years ago

Any ideas or suggestions welcome

#6 3 years ago

Little bit of the layoutimage.jpg

#7 3 years ago

I'm thinking about firing my three headed goat and hiring you .

#8 3 years ago

How many pinballs lion man gonna have? I picture lion man using brass balls. Topper is a must! Edit: lion man has brass balls

#9 3 years ago

I want a giant lion head in the middle of the arches over the game with a servo that swivels towards whoever hit the last jackpot shot.

#10 3 years ago

Lionman litter box mode

#11 3 years ago

I recommend traveling to south Africa to procure a lion cub. Nurture this cub, raise it to love humans, and bring it back to America.

Once you have the now-grown lion in your home, put this lion in a lexan dome in the middle of your game. It will act as the centerpiece and roar when jackpots are made (this is obviously achieved by cleverly rigged and elaborate electrodes to the lion's butthole).

Anything less than this is a disaster.

#12 3 years ago

This is awesome but I have to admit, I opened this thread up fully expecting to see a thunder cat figure glued to the playfield of a bad cats pin.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

This is awesome but I have to admit, I opened this thread up fully expecting to see a thunder cat figure glued to the playfield of a Bad Cats pin.

Let's not rule anything out...

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I recommend traveling to south Africa to procure a lion cub. Nurture this cub, raise it to love humans, and bring it back to America.
    Once you have the now-grown lion in your home, put this lion in a lexan dome in the middle of your game. It will act as the centerpiece and roar when jackpots are made (this is obviously achieved by cleverly rigged and elaborate electrodes to the lion's butthole).
    Anything less than this is a disaster.

I've already been raising little Gary the lion

#15 3 years ago

Four players; Clarence, Kimba, Alex, Simba. Actually, I want to see a Kimba Simba death match.
    Or is it 4 x 4 player???

#16 3 years ago

When can I pre-pay for this??? I think this could be the one that makes it the distance.

#17 3 years ago

This looks amazing. If it had several balls going at once. Then there could be multiple ways you win. Not letting balls drain, hitting targets, ramps, and all the usual stuff. In the middle it could show you which player is in the lead. Having fun just thinking about the possibilities. I think there would also need to be something in the middle that would divert the balls to the left and right so that it doesn't become a two man battle. But you could also program it where it would be just for two players as well and always make the balls divert to the two "stations" that the players are at. Maybe it already does this, I can't tell. Either way looks like fun.

#18 3 years ago

I like the concept of having 3 ramps for each player to shoot for, one to launch the ball directly into an opponents playfield.

Basically, 3 players could gang up on one player.

#19 3 years ago

Few ideas:

- there needs to be an automatic bar that raises and lowers of some sort to segregate the tables so you can have a 2 or 3 player game. Or when one player is eliminated.

- lockdown bar button where you earn lion bombs; a bomb could temporarily reverse the flipper buttons on opponents for 3 secs. Or disable flippers for .5 secs, or shutdown all lights on the other players' table for 15 secs, add a ball to an opponents pf.

- main ball trough should be in the center, no individual ball troughs. If a player goes 15 secs without a ball, one ball is released to their pf. Or if a player goes without a ball for 15 secs they receive a lion bomb.

-each player has 3 lives. Anytime 1 ball drains, player loses a life.

- if you shoot a ball into an opponents table and they drain within 20 secs of receive the ball, you get a super jackpot

- no cradling. Have the flipper coils only be allowed to hold for 3 secs max.

- EDIT: tables should be color coded; no player 1, player 2, etc... Should be yellow lionman, red lionman, blue lionman, green lionman

#20 3 years ago

Swords of Four-y!

#21 3 years ago

Right on! This is something I have wanted to do! Suggestion: keep transportation in mind. You don't want to solve the "how do I move this thing?!" after it has been built.

Keep it up and bring it to a show! Let me know if you need any help with electronics!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#22 3 years ago

I was thinking you'd have to complete a set of targets to activate a weapon associated with a player, hit the shot to that player with the targets completed, weapon is activated. The weapons would get worse for each level. First level-no g.i., second level-center magnet holds for five seconds and center drains, third level-reverse flippers

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

keep transportation in mind. You don't want to solve the "how do I move this thing?!" after it has been built

The cabinets are going to be split up, there needs to be strong joints to connect them (possibly 80/20 channel). Now that I've cleared some things off my plate, going to get back to modeling the playfield layout. I did add this to pinballmakers last night:
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/LIONMAN

#24 3 years ago

I am seriously stoked about this project! I had a couple variations on the idea. This style we could call "Style A." "Style B" had more of a reverse Hungry Hungry Hippos vibe about it.

This project is going to rule!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#25 3 years ago

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. I can already tell I need to make some adjustments, but using the scan of the whitewood as a texture map is going to make it easier to figure out hole positions and wall shapes
    lionman_whitewood_texture_mapping.jpg

#26 3 years ago

I was going to try to solve the ball trough issue by having fours balls for each player in five ball troughs, them that player would auto launch to the next player if too many balls were in that trough

#27 3 years ago

Didn't like how the center bowl was working (dumped the balls too quickly). Realized it needs to be inverted (like a vortex wishing well) so the drop is gradual and hangs around. Great for stacking up multiball, like this:

A hyperbolic funnell doesn't exist as a common part, so I did the next best thing. I modeled a rough stepped vortex in solidworks:
    vortex_funnel.jpg

This allowed me to make a flat sheet metal pattern in steps and trace onto thin cardboard. Then I could join them back together at the edge, and glue each layer together.

One ball:

Two balls:

#28 3 years ago

Did a bunch of work this weekend (adjusted the texture on the playfield so it matched the size), things are lining up much better now. Added inserts, adjusted the right ramp so it's dimensionally fairly accurate. Still much to do, but making some progress.

No matter what, because of the center bowl, I think the cabinets are going to have to be built custom (need the height), not to mention they need a strong joint to keep them altogether.
    lionman_front_11.22 copy.jpg
    With a router and some fixtures the cabinets shouldn't be too tough, but going to want to keep hardware to a minimum to keep cost down.

I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to mount the display on the side of each cabinet for the next player. It won't require a complicated mounting, it's in a nice location (already looking down at flippers so it's in your peripheral vision). Also it won't block the view of other players like the center would (seems to work for joust being in the apron). In fact, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to put in a small (and cheap) 4.3 - 7" LCD screen in the apron?
    lionman_iso_11.22.jpg

Finally, now that I'm seeing the assembly of the 4 playfields joining up, I can the transition from one playfield to the next is going to be a funky angle. It's not just a mitered edge, the gap grows as you get to the center. Probably the simplest solution is going to be 3d printing a small shim on one side, then all transitions should but up against each other.
    lionman_miter_transition.jpg

#29 3 years ago

Nordman had a solution to the playfields lining up

#30 3 years ago

Can you send electric shocks to your opponent?

#31 3 years ago

This looks amazing, and amazingly complicated.
    I will watch on with great interest.

#32 3 years ago

Oh F yes! I totally want to play this. Looks awesome J!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Nordman had a solution to the playfields lining up

which is? Only thing I can think of is each playfield ends without chamfers (normal playfield shape), and the center ends up being a separate pyramid block so each playfield ends up joining at only a single seam.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

which is? Only thing I can think of is each playfield ends without chamfers (normal playfield shape), and the center ends up being a separate pyramid block so each playfield ends up joining at only a single seam.

Compound miter?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Working on a custom one-off simultaneous four-player pinballimage.jpg

This is going to be fun!! Similair to the 4 Jungle Lords meshed together. Will be cool.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Similair to the 4 Jungle Lords meshed together

3-way.. Lionman is 4-way because it's always one better
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-this-3-way-jungle-lord
    LIONMAN!

#37 3 years ago

Was trying to avoid that. It's tough enough getting a single angled miter to match between 2 surfaces, now add 2 angles on 8 surfaces, it's a nightmare to line up.

Went back in the model, I adjusted the angle of cut at the top of the playfield by .1 degrees, seems to match up now:
    matched_miter.jpg

The other thing is the cut itself will need to be angled back at least the same angle as the playfield pitch:
    playfield_angle_cut.jpg

#39 3 years ago

I can see this being an impossible machine to ship around but it looks like an amazing concept.

Just looking at your displays how about apron based mini lcd's for individual players information and a double sided screen above the playfields at a 45 degree angle between all of them showing all scores.

#40 3 years ago

Favorited! Following along with the rest of Pinside.

Idea: Not sure what is going under the central funnel, but perhaps a spinning disc would add some fun/fast/fury and present some randomness to where the balls end up.

Good luck, guys!

-Ryan

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I was thinking you'd have to complete a set of targets to activate a weapon associated with a player, hit the shot to that player with the targets completed, weapon is activated. The weapons would get worse for each level. First level-no g.i., second level-center magnet holds for five seconds and center drains, third level-reverse flippers

Weapons....... eye melting LEDS going off like a son of a bitch on the components end?

#42 3 years ago

cool concept and would fun to play with a bunch of people

for joining the playfields could you opt for a insert bar that fits between the playfields so the playfield ends have a straight cut and the insert bar has the funky cuts. This way say when you do a build and you can trim the insert bar instead of the playfield making it a quick modification adjustment. just ideas....

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

3-way.. Lionman is 4-way because it's always one better
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-this-3-way-jungle-lord
    LIONMAN!

I stand corrected. I hope there is a Lionman that rises out of the playfield ala Iron Man.

1 week later
    #44 3 years ago

Might have to go to pinball life next year just to see this. Thanks Jay

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Might have to go to pinball life next year just to see this. Thanks Jay

No problem dude

#46 3 years ago

Very cool. Few suggestions:

- A mode where you control other people's flippers for awhile
    - A weapon when activated makes an opponents single target light red for a duration, when hit tilts them out (like one of your pinball olympics games - think Dracula)
    - A centerflank "Lionballs mode". There is a tray waist high by each player where you place your, ahem Lion balls. If you let a ball drain it's does a newton ball effect. This could be on the LE I guess.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Very cool. Few suggestions:
    - A mode where you control other people's flippers for awhile
    - A weapon when activated makes an opponents single target light red for a duration, when hit tilts them out (like one of your pinball olympics games - think Dracula)
    - A centerflank "Lionballs mode". There is a tray waist high by each player where you place your, ahem Lion balls. If you let a ball drain it's does a newton ball effect. This could be on the LE I guess.

We could hook your balls up to electrodes
    I like the other suggestions

#48 3 years ago

Never before did I dream any would ever attempt to top the TRIPLE Jungle Lord game, but GOOD LUCK!

maybe you can ask Aljo for some advice in regards to joining the playfields? His experience might be an asset.

#49 3 years ago

Somebody suck this mans dick.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Somebody suck this mans dick.

Wait! Who's?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 189.99
    $ 7,499.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside