Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7600 (resized).JPG
IMG_7601 (resized).JPG
IMG_7597 (resized).JPG
IMG_7598 (resized).JPG
IMG_7596 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I'm in need of help from a linux/ nucore guru. Long story short my Star Wars Episode 1 with nucore computer is not saving the high scores. I have been emailing with Don at Big Guys and he has suggested deleting the following files:

FOR RFM rm /root/nucore/roms/savedata/rfm_15.nvram1 and repeat for .nvram2

For SWE1 rm /root/nucore/roms/savedata/swe1_14.nvram1 and repeat for .nvram2

My problem is I'm stupid and I don't know how to get to these files to delete them. Is there someone out there that could walk me through a step by step to making this happen? Either via this thread or over the phone?

Currently with the machine in attract mode I press F1 and get to a screen that says "nucore desktop login:" and this is where I get hung up. Reading the nucore intallation manual is see something about username = root and password = nucore. Am I on the right track here? After this then what? Any help greatly appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like you need to:
1) log in with that name and password
2) type rm /root/nucore/roms/savedata/swe1_14.nvram1 and hit enter
3) type rm /root/nucore/roms/savedata/swe1_14.nvram2 and hit enter
4) restart and see if problem fixed

#3 7 years ago

Oh, well that seems pretty easy....even I can handle that. So does "rm" mean remove?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Oh, well that seems pretty easy....even I can handle that. So does "rm" mean remove?

Yep

#5 7 years ago

Wow, look at me, I'm a linux guy now! I'm going to put that one one the resume. Thanks guys!

#6 7 years ago

Happy to help. Let us know if that fixed your problem.

BTW: Linux is case sensitive. Make sure you type it in exact, and pay attention to if it tells you operation successful or gives you an error.

#7 7 years ago

Case sensitive is good to know. It looks like a space between rm and /root, I assume that's important too?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

It looks like a space between rm and /root, I assume that's important too?

Yup

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

rm is del
cp is copy
mv is move

but why are they running an app out of the root dir??? /root is more or less the root user home folder and not the file system base root /

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

why are they running an app out of the root dir??? /root is more or less the root user home folder and not the file system base root /

My guess is that the game runs as root. What could possibly go wrong with doing that?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Gumboyaya:

My guess is that the game runs as root. What could possibly go wrong with doing that?

not even that the app is running out of or storing it's main working data an users / roots home dir and not /something even more trying to hide it's really QEMU?

#12 7 years ago

Well I gave it a try and unfortunately it didn't seem to work, the high scores still don't save. Perhaps I screwed it up but I'm pretty sure I was at the correct spot for typing in the commands. I did not get any indication back after entering in the commands that it was successful or an error. After plugging the jumper back in on the Nucore USB board it popped up on the command line "reloading system log daemon". I took a screen shot so those in the know could tell me if it looks like I was in the correct command line spot or not. What do you guys think?

IMG_7596 (resized).JPGIMG_7596 (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

Try the following.

command: cd /root/nucore/roms
command: ls -l
This will return a list of permissions for the files/directories (a letter d and then dashes or the letters r, w or x). Write down the permissions for savedata and post here.
command: cd savedata
command: ls
This will list any files in that directory and you can verify the unwanted files got deleted.

#14 7 years ago

Terryb,
Here are those results.

IMG_7598 (resized).JPGIMG_7598 (resized).JPG

IMG_7597 (resized).JPGIMG_7597 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago

The rfm files are likely for revenge from Mars.

Just tested rm command on my Ubuntu distro, it does not say successful if it works, only reports back if it failed. It likely worked.

What terryb suggested will be helpful.

Quoted from terryb:

This will list any files in that directory and you can verify the unwanted files got deleted.

After restart the program likely regenerated those files, I'm guessing. But the ls -l should show us creation time/date if he uses -l in the savedata dir

#16 7 years ago

that should be a -l (lower case L) not a 1.

If the data is scrolling off the screen use ls -l |more
That will stop it from flying off the screen and allow you to advance line by line by hitting enter.

#17 7 years ago

Ok, new results with a lower case l instead of the number 1.

IMG_7601 (resized).JPGIMG_7601 (resized).JPG

IMG_7600 (resized).JPGIMG_7600 (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago

Well, I must have deleted them because I tried it again and when I got to the RFM files it said something like "could not delete file because file not found". I have a RFM playfield too but have not booted the game with that one in since the deleting just with the episode 1 playfield in. So apparently I was successful in deleting the nvram files but they were not the cause of the problem. Not sure what else to do other than leave a note book next to the game and write down my high scores.

#19 7 years ago

Permissions on savedata directory are probably ok, but let's make sure (at least we likely can if there are any other files in that directory).

cd /root/nucore/roms/savedata
ls -l

You could also just brute force it by opening up the permissions on the savedata directory.

cd /root/nucore/roms
chmod 777 savedata

#20 7 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. I emailed with Don some more last night and he seems to think there is something wrong on the board itself. I sent it out this morning to have him repair it. I'll report back once the board is returned and I see what the results are. Hopefully it works. Thanks for all the help getting me this far.

1 week later
#21 7 years ago

Update:
I sent my Nucore usb board out to Don at Big guys and he could not find anything wrong with it. He sent me back his board since he knew it works 100% in his machine. Unfortunately it did not solve my problem with saving the high scores or the time and date. So I might have to try and reload the nucore software next per his advice. I hate to do this as I'm nervous I will screw it up and the result will be a completely dead game. At this point the game works and I would prefer to live with no high scores than no game at all. So this leads me to some more questions for you computer guys...

First question is about motherboards. I searched around a bit and found two old threads where both people were experiencing similar issues with time/date and high score retention. They both had the same motherboard that I have, an MSI GF615M-P33. In one of the threads the solution that ended up fixing the problem was replacing the motherboard with a new one. So my first question is: can I just swap motherboards? Are they plug and play? I would swap the MSI GF615M-P33 with the exact same thing. I assume I'll just need to adjust the bios upon start up and that's it? There are some on ebay for $40. I figure if it fixes the issue, great, if not it's cheap insurance as a backup motherboard just in case I ever do need it.

My second question is about the hard drive. As I stated before I hate to goof up my hard drive trying to reinstalling software and make the game unplayable. So, if I got another hardrive, I could try reinstalling software on the new drive and see if that fixes the problem. If not I could just plug my old one back in and be back to where I'm at now. Am I correct in this thinking? Also, is there a way to copy my existing hard drive to a new hard drive so that I could try reinstalling just the Nucore software without having to worry about the Linux portion?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

#22 7 years ago

Can you enter the following commands and post the output so I can see what your system looks like:

df -h (df disk free -h human readable)
uname -r (unixname -r running kernel)
free

#23 7 years ago

Sorry for the slow reply Pin_guy but I've been busy with Christmas stuff. Looks like my problem is solved. Someone provided me with a cloned version of their hard drive and that appears to have fixed my problems. I'll report back if things change. Thanks for all the help people!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
7,500 (OBO)
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/linux-nucore-navigation-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.