Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Bowman9
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

I've been a BPA member for a while now, but I wanted pinside to know about this as well.

I've been building a custom pinball table off and on for a couple years now, learning as I go. Here's a ~4 month old pic of the foam core model:
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6664085507_6c59816845_b.jpg
    I have a whitewood 60% built now.

So anyways...

I got this crazy idea a few days ago... www.linscustompins.com
    It should be fun
    This is FREE. Just submit a request and I'll add it to the list. I plan on going through the list on a first come first serve basis. As the site mentions though, I will not actually build these things out of wood/meta/plastic (its very expensive). The furthest I'll go is make a foam core model of the table just to make sure the design flow is sound. It will be up to y'all to follow the final plans and build the actual machine yourself.

I haven't posted any information about my personal pin design yet, but I will add it the coming weeks.

Also, For some reason, it seems to not show up well on iphone. Dunno why... I'm using vanilla HTML. I'm going to try and fix that tonight.

EDIT: All text should work fine now.

-Lin

#2 11 years ago

ha! full house theme? seriously?

"You can't tell me what to do, your not my father!"
    http://turbulence.org/Works/notmyfather

#3 11 years ago

Full House, as in Uncle Jessie and Comet the dog Full House?

#4 11 years ago

This looks really neat. That left ramp in the back is extremely tight and would be a tough fun shot.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

That left ramp in the back is extremely tight and would be a tough fun shot.

I was thinking the same thing!
    Nice job Lin on the foam core layout. Can't wait to give it a test spin!

#6 11 years ago

Very cool. Are you using solid works or 3D cad? Did you draw all of the parts (star post, bumpers, etc.) or did you find them elsewhere?

#7 11 years ago

I recreated all the parts painstakingly using a digital caliper. Not everything is fully defined... just enough for me to know the footprint, basic size, and hole placements. I did go a little crazy with the posts and pop bumper though .

Most was initially done with a 4 old version of Max I had laying around, I've been playing with solid works a bit and really like it but I can't afford to actually get it yet (some day I hope!), and paintshop pro for images and drawings.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Nice job Lin on the foam core layout. Can't wait to give it a test spin!

If you're ever around MA/RI let me know.

#8 11 years ago

That back ramp looks nuts. It would be way cool if you could nudge it enough in the bumpers to make the ramp from a pop bumper. I've not seen that done before

#9 11 years ago

y'all talking about the foam core model's back left ramp? It's actually not that bad to hit, I do it pretty easily. It's at the perfect angle from the flipper to nail over and over (which happens to be one of the game modes...)

#10 11 years ago

My request:

WarGames pinball machine. "Shall we play a game?" WOPR rollovers. Global Thermolnuclear War Multiball (tm). NORAD drop targets. DEFCON 1 upper playfield. Tic Tac Toe video mode that always ends in a draw.

Chris

1 week later
    #11 11 years ago

I just added a ton of information about Fairyland Tales to my site- artwork, early concepts, and whitewood. Fairyland Tales is the name of the foamcore model's table I posted a pic of on this thread's first post.

I also updated all requests sent to me thus far, started a foamcore model of Full House, and a few other things.

I plan on updating this site about once every 1 to 1.5 weeks.

-Lin

1 week later
    #12 11 years ago

I've been talking with Mark a lot this week about his table request. I'm pleased to announce the "Tail of the Dragon" table design iteration is now posted. Also, a 90% scripted version of the TotD Visual Pinball table is also available for download as well. I'm now playing the waiting game for parts to arrive so I can finish foam-coring these tables.

If anyone has any cheap used working single drop target assemblies, pm me please. I need 2 of them

2 weeks later
    #13 11 years ago

I modified the site design. It no longer looks like 1995. I still have more redesign work to go, but I think it's better now, no?

#14 11 years ago

Looks good Lin, the whitewood seems to be chugging right along... The small colored sample of art I saw fit the theme well. Those wire forms though...
    (I can teach you how to TIG if you'd like. )
    My starter rig was the Miller Maxstar 150 STH. Still works like a champ after all these years!
    If you are going to do more complicated wire forms down the road I'd invest in one, the pulser feature is really nice to have.
    Thanks again Lin for sharing, can't wait to see the final product!

#15 11 years ago

ok, now that I'm seeing foam-core mockups, I'm impressed. Are you doing this all by yourself?

#16 11 years ago

Nice work. How do you access the ramp that returns the ball to the left flipper?

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

ok, now that I'm seeing foam-core mockups, I'm impressed. Are you doing this all by yourself?

Yes.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Those wire forms though...
    (I can teach you how to TIG if you'd like. )
    My starter rig was the Miller Maxstar 150 STH. Still works like a champ after all these years!
    If you are going to do more complicated wire forms down the road I'd invest in one, the pulser feature is really nice to have.

I wish I could afford to buy one of those Miller machines... but I spend all my money on pinball machines The Whitewater restoration I'm working on is a money pit, but it'll be really nice when it's done (new playfield, ramps, mountians, chrome metal, etc, etc).

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Nice work. How do you access the ramp that returns the ball to the left flipper?

On Fairyland Tales? It's accessed via the mini table. It's more of a ricochet-bounce access shot or some type of trick shot. If you're aiming for the blue targets but your shot angle is off slightly, then the ball will bounce into that ramp. Or if you aim for the white rubber, then the ball will bounce around and end up on the ramp.

#18 11 years ago

Very nice, well done!

Was there a reason you changed the name? Personally, fairytale legends had a better ring to it; IMO.

#19 11 years ago

Very interested to see then end result!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Very nice, well done!
    Was there a reason you changed the name? Personally, fairytale legends had a better ring to it; IMO.

The game is no longer about "fairy tales", it's about fairies, magic, and dreams. "Fairytale Legends" implies things like dragons, beanstocks, castles, etc... which incorrectly describes the table now.

1 week later
    #21 11 years ago

Posted a video of the Tail of the Dragon's whitewood.

1 month later
    #22 11 years ago

Video of Tail of the Dragons' lamp matrix and software running

#23 11 years ago

Congrats Lin!!!! Coming along great!

#24 11 years ago

Very impressive, great work

2 months later
    #25 11 years ago

Nightmare Before Christmas update!

http://www.linscustompins.com

2 weeks later
    #26 11 years ago

I have a video showing the current table model up now. Rules doc will be posted in a week or two.

#27 11 years ago

Very cool, I can not wait to see your finished tables.
    Great work.

#28 11 years ago

Great work! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the coiling root.

1 week later
    #29 11 years ago

Lin,

I have a question how do you plan to cut the shooter lane groove?

Bowman9

1 month later
    #30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bowman9:

Lin,
    I have a question how do you plan to cut the shooter lane groove?
    Bowman9

I don't plan to right now, but I'd use a dowel with sand paper around it and hand sand it.

**Updated TotD gameplay video**

#31 11 years ago

Coming along nicely, great work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lins-custom-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.