(Topic ID: 57150)

Link between Display and upper flippers?

By Miknan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by nosro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Miknan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a link between the two? Occasionally my JD display will lock up and sometimes when this happens one of the two upper flippers won't work. When this happens I start checking all my connections and pushing on everything will make the display and flippers start working but I haven't been able to isolate where the problems is since I do this with the power off. Is it safe to do this with the power on? Thanks in advance.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks LTG. Will have to check that and report anything abnormal when I have a chance and it happens again.

1 month later
#4 10 years ago

It had been working pretty good lately but the past week it's been happening more and more. I'll be playing and the display will just freeze. Usually the game will keep playing but sometimes one of the upper flippers (could be either but usually just one) will stop working. This morning the dmd just froze, then the upper right flipper then the lower left stopped working. The sound actually stopped too. I went to the power driver board and measured the voltage:

TP 1= a fluctuating 16v, +/- around .4v
TP 2= 4.93v
TP 3= 11.81v

I restarted the machine which usually fixes it. This time it didn't. So I turned it off again and started pushing on all connectors and chips. Thie few times a restart by itself doesn't fix it this always does. Sure enough, turning it on and it worked perfectly. I measured the test points again.

TP 1=a steady 16.2v
TP 2=4.94v
TP 3= 11.81v

I'm not sure if this means anything but LED 3 is out and LED 2 (I think it's 2, it's right next to 3 but hard to see the number) was a very erratic blinking when the machine was broke. When it was working I think the led was off but when the game ended it was out.

Thanks for any help.

#5 10 years ago

New problem now... Was playing it and it was working fine until I had the extra ball lit. I hit it, heard the knock and then it reset at the same time. Played again and the same thing happened.

#7 10 years ago

Usually yes. Most times the game plays completely normal. The dmd freezing happens about once in 10 games but seems to be getting worse. Usually when the dmd freezes, everything including audio continue to play normal. When the dmd does freeze only a few times does that flipper problem happen and only when the dmd freezes do one or two flippers stop working. That audio problem is more rare than the flipper freeze. Both these problems only happen when the display freezes. That reset after the satisfying knock of the extra ball that happened last night was a first and at that time the game was playing normal.

I've only had a pinball machine for 9 months so I'm only guessing but I'd guess something is wrong with the power driver board? When I first got the machine I had problems with it right away and the seller swapped out the board for me. Everything worked pretty good for awhile and unfortunately I don't remember why it was swapped now. Guess I should try and find that out.

Despite being frustrated a lot of the time by the frequency of problems, I've rather enjoyed the learning part of this hobby and everytime I've fixed it I've felt that satisfaction you all must also feel. But this time it's different. I don't think I can fix it and I think it's likely to be an expensive repair that I can't really afford right now. Feelings that I have had that my JD is a lemon and I should ditch it (even though I love this game and think its the best value game out there) are resurfacing. Unfortunately, it's a catch 22... Sell "as is" and I lose my @ss, repair it and I want to keep it, until the next breakdown which has been every other week or so.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks pinballplusMN, that's what I'll try first. I'll tell my Lions to go easy on the Vikes today.

#12 10 years ago

Pinballplus, are these new cables? I am interested. Thx

#14 10 years ago

In Vegas now. I'll buy it when I get home. Thx.

1 week later
#15 10 years ago

Money sent. Thx

#17 10 years ago

Did you test the line voltage to see it dropping? I don't know if the voltages I measured above are within normal limits. If they aren't I'll have to figure out if it's the line voltage or the in the pinball machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 85.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Miknan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/link-between-display-and-upper-flippers?tu=Miknan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.