Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canon11072019 041 (resized).JPG
    canon11072019 040 (resized).JPG
    canon11072019 039 (resized).JPG
    #1 9 years ago

One of my pet hates is wonky score reels where one sits lower than the other!

Talked to a friend and I hear it is possible to straighten them but it is difficult. And seen a fair few pins restored by Nick Raschilla and he always get them nice and straight

So, anyone know how to do it? Videos or photos?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

You have to adjust one of the stop brackets (L-shaped) that are on the baseplate, IIRC.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You have to adjust one of the stop brackets (L-shaped) that are on the baseplate, IIRC.

Thanks, so it is possible to get them lined up perfect?

Don't have to do each number individually, just whole reel?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thanks, so it is possible to get them lined up perfect?
    Don't have to do each number individually, just whole reel?

Right, just the reel.

#5 9 years ago

A thought.

One of my reels 'starts low' but during gameplay it 'corrects' and sometimes is lined up correctly. Then it will drop again.

Would the fix you recommend still apply to this?

#6 9 years ago

on the back of the reel (metal plate) there is a set screw in a slot that decreases the "sloppyness" of the reel rotation....

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

on the back of the reel (metal plate) there is a set screw in a slot that decreases the "sloppyness" of the reel rotation....

Any pictures of said screw?
    Thanks

1 month later
    #8 9 years ago

Wow, I lost hours and hours and hours trying to fine tune these reels.
    Adjusting the stops is a very tricky business.
    I have almost got to the point the numbers line up straight and I guess it's best to leave them as maybe it's not possible to have them line up like the day they were new!

Learnt a lot as must have taken them apart about 30 times!

#9 9 years ago

Yea, can be very tricky. Like adjusting the stops on a roto target...

#10 9 years ago

roto target is a walk in the park compared to those rat traps
    I still haven't mastered lining up the numbers

4 years later
    #11 4 years ago

I came across this 4 year old thread on a google search yesterday when I was seeking to resolve score reel number alignment on my recently restored GTB 1965 Skyline. The GTB rat trap score reel is certainly an interesting design piece and I must say not the easiest beast to master.

canon11072019 039 (resized).JPGcanon11072019 039 (resized).JPG

I contrast this to recently servicing 24 score reels on my United similar vintage ball bowler. They were well designed and in comparison a breeze to service.

Although I must commend a tip, and a fuller rat trap explanation, on pin wiki which suggested to ease access to the mechanism de-solder the wire from the circuit board which enables the board to be lifted and moved aside giving good access.

canon11072019 041 (resized).JPGcanon11072019 041 (resized).JPG

The screw referred to earlier by pinhead52 is the allen head screw shown below which enables the ratchet stop to be adjusted.

canon11072019 040 (resized).JPGcanon11072019 040 (resized).JPG

After several hours cleaning, servicing and tinkering with the mechanism I concur with earlier posts that consistent alignment of all numbers on a score reel is a difficult task. In some ways I found trying to resolve this alignment issue on a rat trap similar to trying to get a cantankerous AX relay to play ball. On the rat trap I found it very difficult to perfect the stop adjustment to remove ratchet sloppiness while not adversely affecting switch settings and general score reel ratchet operation. So I have reluctantly accepted that non perfect alignment of score reel numbers is part of the character of these mechanisms.

Some time later I may try a couple of spare rat trap mechanisms I have but for now I will live with the character.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

So I have reluctantly accepted that non perfect alignment of score reel numbers is part of the character of these mechanisms.

Probably one of the major reasons they radically changed the design.
    I'm a Gottlieb guy, but IMHO, Bally had the best score reel design in all aspects.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Probably one of the major reasons they radically changed the design.
    I'm a Gottlieb guy, but IMHO, Bally had the best score reel design in all aspects.

And Williams. Their designs are very similar. Williams and Bally are Japanese cars to Gottlieb's German cars here. Overly complicated piece of engineering, fiddly to get dialed in and keep dialed in.

Williams and Bally, once they are dialed in, are rock solid. I have a Bally Surfers that was basically stored for near 20 years. I fired it up and the reels worked perfectly. Try doing that with a decagon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lining-up-gottlieb-rat-trap-score-reels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.