Hidealre (resized).jpg
20230218_125940 (resized).jpg
20230221_163715 (resized).jpg
20230227_133331 (resized).jpg
20230227_133326 (resized).jpg
20230227_133322 (resized).jpg
20230227_115839 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I recently bought a 1975 Bally HiDeal. My grandparents had it in their home, then moved it to the top of their pool house where it stayed until probably the early 1990s. My aunt acquired it and then put it in a garage where it has sat covered since the early 2000s. Honestly, the last time I remembered playing it was in the late 1980s. It was tipped upside down to get it out of the barn, so the ball was stuck, and I was told everything worked last time it was played and I just had to get the ball out.

I got the game, hauled it home, and turned it on. After watching a million YouTube videos, apparently I wasn't supposed to do that. The game lights up (except the burned out bulbs) but it does nothing else. I remember back in the day it would make noise, like the score reel would reset, and I remember everything clicking and stuff before it would stop and shoot the ball over to where you launch the ball. It doesn't do that anymore. It makes like a humming noise, which made me immediately turn it off, and that's all.

I don't even know where to start. I'm almost certain it wasn't ever worked on mechanically. Just moved around and stored. I've taken thr glass out, replaced the rubbers, and tried to vacuum the dust. There isn't any electrical tape holding anything together that I can see. It looks complete, but I'm not sure where to start. I downloaded schematics but I think I need to spring for the actual paper copy because I can't read them very well.

Any common first steps in this situation?

20230218_125940 (resized).jpg20230218_125940 (resized).jpg20230221_163715 (resized).jpg20230221_163715 (resized).jpg20230227_115839 (resized).jpg20230227_115839 (resized).jpg20230227_133322 (resized).jpg20230227_133322 (resized).jpg20230227_133326 (resized).jpg20230227_133326 (resized).jpg20230227_133331 (resized).jpg20230227_133331 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Try Dropping a quarter In the slot.

#3 1 year ago

It's always been set up for free play.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Dhalder1589:

It's always been set up for free play.

Well maybe it isn’t any more. Shit happens.

Just a suggestion. That’s what you came here for, right?

#5 1 year ago

Agree with Crazylevi, and then, go to pin repair.com and read up on EM pinball machine troubleshooting and repairs.

It’s going to be hard to troubleshoot with what you have presented, but most likely issues are going to be the score wheels do not reset to zero when starting a game, incorrect/bad fuses, bad fuse holders, and possibly bent relay contact leafs, or actuator ladders being knocked out of place.

You mentioned turning the machine sideways to get it out. Any chance of stuff moving around inside of cabinet bouncing around, say such as the coin box or the tilt mechanisms, or other such loose items? If so, look closely at all the relays to make sure stuff isn’t bent or jammed between leafs.

Welcome to the madness. Once you get this one going, you’ll be wanting to work on more of them.

Let us know your progress.

#6 1 year ago

first of all, if you were my "family", you would have got it for NOTHING.......that's just me

#7 1 year ago

I agree with Billc479 check out http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

Get a volt meter & see if you get 50 Volts from the transformer

also be a good idea to check the fuse values to see if all are correct. also see if they are good with a multimeter

Pin repair has a more elegant way to achieve freeplay than what it appears you may have.

Quoted from vinnypeppers:

first of all, if you were my "family", you would have got it for NOTHING.......that's just me

vinnypeppers , will you adopt me ?

#8 1 year ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2), Fedex ($6), or Office Depot
Not the paginated one one IPDB

#9 1 year ago

You have mail. Click on the bouncing mailbox.

#10 1 year ago

See this little window in your backglass? When it is on any number other than zero, it indicates that you have credits on the game and a switch will be closed completing a circuit so that the game will reset via the credit button. If this switch on the credit unit isn't closed, your game won't start.

First manually advance it to a visible number in that window and try it again. If that doesn't work the switch may be dirty or not closing properly.

Hidealre (resized).jpgHidealre (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

The green and red wires going from the start button is a hack. First, I'd get rid of that and do a simple jumper at the credit wheel switch stack.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-up-but-won-t-start-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.