Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

75127E01-5682-4BCB-9F6E-740859FB9075 (resized).png
    Light_bulbs (resized).jpg
    3 Lights (resized).jpg
    4_Lights (resized).jpg
    Fat_Light (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Greetings Everyone!

I'm working on this 1990 Dr. Dude currently and am having some trouble with some of the lights not lighting up. I replaced the bulbs with working bulbs and they still do not light up. I'm very new at working on pinball machines and am not really sure where to turn next if even a working bulb does not work in these sockets. Could it be the green board itself is messed up and needs to be replaced? Also, there is a larger bulb that is hard to get to that does not light up that is in a socket, not a green board. I have some pictures of the lights not working and the boards underneath along with the bulbs that are used. Any tips on what to do next to get these lit up is much appreciaited thank you!

3 Lights (resized).jpg3 Lights (resized).jpg4_Lights (resized).jpg4_Lights (resized).jpgFat_Light (resized).jpgFat_Light (resized).jpgLight_bulbs (resized).jpgLight_bulbs (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Several things could be wrong here.

Some LEDs (not ordinary bulbs) are sensitive to orientation, so if a LED is dead try removing it from the socket, rotate 180 degrees and put it back in again and see if that helps.

If you move a "dead" lamp to another,currently working socket, does it light up? If not then lamp might be bad.

Many people swap lamps with the game turned on, it's certainly doable but only recommended if you know what you are doing. Unintentionally shorting things while swapping lamps is really bad so I recommend you to turn the game off when working on it if you are new to all this.

Those green boards often have problems where a small indentation have been formed over time in the contact plane for the black plastic lamp holders. Remove one of the black lamp sockets and look at the two silver colored tracks on the board, you will probably find two grooves who causes bad electrical contact with the twist lamp holder. The easiest solution to this problem is to get a soldering iron and reflow the planes with some new solder (to remove the grooves).

It could also be an issue where the two small metal prongs on the twist socket are too flat. Try bending them a tiny bit more to make them stand out more and thus get better connection to the board.

As the other lamps seem to work it's most probably not an issue with a fuse. If you want to check the fuses in the backbox anyway then measure them for continuity outside the game with a multimeter (measuring fuses directly in the fuse holder isnt reliable as the current can go other ways and fool the instrument that the fuse is ok).

That metal lamp socket lamp can be changed either from above or below. From above you have to remove the plastics to get access. From below simply unscrew that small screw holding the socket to the playfield. Then press bulb down and rotate to get it out of the socket.

If above doesn't help then measure voltage coming to the board/lamps using a digital multimeter to see if they actually get any voltage at all. If not the problem is upstream in broken cabling, bad connectors and so on. The measuring obviously needs to be done with the game turned on so only do this if you are confident, if you short stuff while measuring you will make things much worse. If unsure then ask someone local for help.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Several things could be wrong here.
    Some LEDs (not ordinary bulbs) are sensitive to orientation, so if a LED is dead try removing it from the socket, rotate 180 degrees and put it back in again and see if that helps.
    If you move a "dead" lamp to another,currently working socket, does it light up? If not then lamp might be bad.
    Many people swap lamps with the game turned on, it's certainly doable but only recommended if you know what you are doing. Unintentionally shorting things while swapping lamps is really bad so I recommend you to turn the game off when working on it if you are new to all this.
    Those green boards often have problems where a small indentation have been formed over time in the contact plane for the black plastic lamp holders. Remove one of the black lamp sockets and look at the two silver colored tracks on the board, you will probably find two grooves who causes bad electrical contact with the twist lamp holder. The easiest solution to this problem is to get a soldering iron and reflow the planes with some new solder (to remove the grooves).
    It could also be an issue where the two small metal prongs on the twist socket are too flat. Try bending them a tiny bit more to make them stand out more and thus get better connection to the board.
    As the other lamps seem to work it's most probably not an issue with a fuse. If you want to check the fuses in the backbox anyway then measure them for continuity outside the game with a multimeter (measuring fuses directly in the fuse holder isnt reliable as the current can go other ways and fool the instrument that the fuse is ok).
    That metal lamp socket lamp can be changed either from above or below. From above you have to remove the plastics to get access. From below simply unscrew that small screw holding the socket to the playfield. Then press bulb down and rotate to get it out of the socket.
    If above doesn't help then measure voltage coming to the board/lamps using a digital multimeter to see if they actually get any voltage at all. If not the problem is upstream in broken cabling, bad connectors and so on. The measuring obviously needs to be done with the game turned on so only do this if you are confident, if you short stuff while measuring you will make things much worse. If unsure then ask someone local for help.

Thanks for all that information, ill have to go back under the table and see what's going on. Do you know anywhere they sell the big bulb? I'm not seeing it anywhere. It's odd all the lights on certain green boards do not work, makes me wonder if the individual green board is bad?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Also, there is a larger bulb that is hard to get to that does not light up that is in a socket, not a green board.

That one is a flash bulb. Make sure you are in the Coil Test section when performing the diagnostic test.

#5 1 year ago

take out bulb, bend little tabs up on black bulb holders, might need to add some solder to build up connection points between socket and board.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Thanks for all that information, ill have to go back under the table and see what's going on. Do you know anywhere they sell the big bulb? I'm not seeing it anywhere. It's odd all the lights on certain green boards do not work, makes me wonder if the individual green board is bad?

Something that has not been mentioned, but lines up with the symptoms you are experiencing with all lamps on some of the pcbs not working is the header pins. I’ve found 9/10 when all lamps aren’t working on a pcb, it’s the header pins. I have never had a case where the indentation was so severe, it was causing a lamp not to light. Unplug the connector for those boards and flow fresh solder at the base of every pin (game turned off). Plug the connector back in and I bet you have lamps. As for the large bulb, as mentioned, it is a flash lamp and does not stay solidly lit, it will briefly flash during gameplay when specific events happen.

#7 1 year ago

If all those lights are on the same row or column of the switch matrix for lamps, the diagram of the entire switch matrix is in the manual, you may have a broken wire or even a bad transistor on the power driver board that is not allowing any of those lamps to light. In the manual, check the name of the lamps that are out based on location. Look to the matrix lamp diagram. Even though they are not close together, you may have the ah-ha moment if all the dead lamps line up vertically or horizontally.

#8 1 year ago

Sometimes it’s just the little wires on a 555 LED bulb. I typically find which side is the end of the wire on each and “fan them out” a little bit before I install them. It kinda makes sure they are making good contact when installed in their socket.

Jeff

#9 1 year ago

Lots of good suggestions here!

Two more:

As a normal part of our 'shopping' a pinball we will take all these lamp boards that have a plug in connector out of the game and reflow the solder on the pins. It is insanely common for you to have cracked solder joints on the end pins of the bigger lamp boards but I frequently find broken solder on the 3-lamp boards at the connector also.

So you've got a 'twist in' black lamp socket that isn't working?

I have gotten to the point where I NEVER replace that bulb first. I always grab a working twist in black socket with a working bulb, and put that in the suspect location.

Then I replace the lamp in the black plastic socket, and put that one where I pulled the working one out.

While you can blow things up whenever you are working under the playfield, I will always have the 'ALL LAMPS' test running when I am working on lamps.

If I blow anything up... (shrugs) In the words of Randy Fromm 'watch it burn for a little while with a pretty flame, then fix it. You are a tech!'

Hehe.

#10 1 year ago

Thanks for all the comments ans suggestions everyone! I really feel it may be the board because all the lights on these little green boards do not light, but I will try the fixes you all mentions as to bending the metal a little on the plastic connectors and other tips.

Quoted from Mank:

If all those lights are on the same row or column of the switch matrix for lamps, the diagram of the entire switch matrix is in the manual, you may have a broken wire or even a bad transistor on the power driver board that is not allowing any of those lamps to light. In the manual, check the name of the lamps that are out based on location. Look to the matrix lamp diagram. Even though they are not close together, you may have the ah-ha moment if all the dead lamps line up vertically or horizontally.

Most of the lamps are vertical and horizontal that do not light. Is it hard to replace the boards? I can't find them anywhere online for my game? 1990 Dr. Dude.

Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Sometimes it’s just the little wires on a 555 LED bulb. I typically find which side is the end of the wire on each and “fan them out” a little bit before I install them. It kinda makes sure they are making good contact when installed in their socket.
    Jeff

I've tested the bulbs in the non working places on other spots and they seem to light fine, I don't think the bulb is bad?

Quoted from Jmckune:

Something that has not been mentioned, but lines up with the symptoms you are experiencing with all lamps on some of the pcbs not working is the header pins. I’ve found 9/10 when all lamps aren’t working on a pcb, it’s the header pins. I have never had a case where the indentation was so severe, it was causing a lamp not to light. Unplug the connector for those boards and flow fresh solder at the base of every pin (game turned off). Plug the connector back in and I bet you have lamps. As for the large bulb, as mentioned, it is a flash lamp and does not stay solidly lit, it will briefly flash during gameplay when specific events happen.

Any idea where I can get a new flasher bulb for that socket? I'm not finding them online or I'm just not looking in the right places

#11 1 year ago

It looks like column 7 is your problem. Check for continuity on the yellow-violet wire under the playfield and see if transistor Q54 is blown

75127E01-5682-4BCB-9F6E-740859FB9075 (resized).png75127E01-5682-4BCB-9F6E-740859FB9075 (resized).png
    #12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mank:

It looks like column 7 is your problem. Check for continuity on the yellow-violet wire under the playfield and see if transistor Q54 is blown
    [quoted image]

Do you have a picture of what the Q54 looks like a and how I can tell if it's blown? Not sure what to look for super new to this. Are they easy to replace ? Thanks again for the reply!

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

how I can tell if it's blown?

Youtube has lots of short videos. How to test a transistor.

Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Are they easy to replace ?

If you don't have circuit board experience. Get help.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-replaced-still-not-lighting- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.