Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Match_Left_(resized).jpg
Playfield_underside_(resized).jpg
Match_Right_(resized).jpg
Cabinet_base_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

So I'm new to EMs and Pins in general, but managed to pick up a Bally Knockout recently. While I have some major cosmetic issues to overcome in the future I have a couple mechanical issues that I can't seem to solve on my own and was hoping for some help, especially since I can't seem to track down a manual or schematic for the game.

The first is a more minor issue since I don't plan on letting it get too far out of sight, but the "match" feature isn't awarding anything, but it is lighting up correctly, the assembly doesn't look quite like the one in a parts catalog I found online, so it could be incorrect or missing parts that are causing that
Left of the match selectorLeft of the match selector right of the match selectorright of the match selector

The second is something a bit more important I feel, the left and right sides will not stay "lit" which brings down scoring pretty significantly, the rollovers that are supposed to light the sides do, in fact, light them, but only instantaneously, whatever is supposed to be causing the relays to remain engaged is not working and I'm pulling out hair into an already fairly grimy cabinet trying to find it.

If anybody has any suggestions or can point me toward a manual or schematic so I might be more able to help myself it would be greatly appreciated

Cabinet_base_(resized).jpgCabinet_base_(resized).jpg

Playfield_underside_(resized).jpgPlayfield_underside_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

You might see if Pinball Resource has a schematic for you to order. I'm kind of surprised it's not on ipdb, knockout doesn't seem to be that rare.

For the match feature if it's lighting up I'd guess the issue would be a score motor switch. When the score reels coincide with the match number, the switch on the score motor is energized which fires the credit unit step up solenoid as the score motor turns for the last time that game. Of course the schematic would tell you where exactly that switch is. The "match feature" setting jones plug may lead you in the right direction, one of the wires on the female side should lead to the score motor switch in question, you can use the wire color to narrow down the score motor switch.

On the playfield scoring, there must be a relay for each side, probably labeled "left side" or "green side" or something like that. If they are lighting momentarily they are probably just not holding in. There must be a "break" switch somewhere that is out of adjustment on the score motor or the player reset relay.

P.S. I'm not an expert but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I am working on a Bally of the same year.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

There must be a "break" switch somewhere that is out of adjustment on the score motor or the player reset relay.

I just checked the schematic on my B&A (1975 Bally) and that "break" switch that resets the playfield features is on the out hole relay. So you might check there for a switch contact not making.

#5 8 years ago

There IS a contact on the outhole relay that is in contact when not tripped, there seems to be some secondhand solder around the left and right playfield relays which aren't locking down (the problem) so I suppose I'll just keep wire hunting, though I will probably get in touch with Pinball Resource and see if they have any paperwork for it

#6 8 years ago

Pulled and cleaned with a dust cloth) the plugs in the cabinet, not sure if that or just fiddling with the unit did it, but player 2 got a free credit for having "XXX70" points tonight, so that's fixed

1 week later
#7 8 years ago

So, the playfield problem started fixing itself, which pointed me into the direction of a moving contact, apparently power to the playfield scoring lights goes through both the center lane wheel AND the bonus wheel. A good proper cleaning of those contacts is proving to fix the problem, 100K here I come!

#8 8 years ago

I actually just picked up my own knockout today it will need a knockout cleaning though...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-out-on-bally-knockout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.