(Topic ID: 260047)

Lights on WOZ not correct color - Please help!

By Buzzie

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

The normal light button pattern on WOZ should be the Lion green, Scarecrow Yellow, and Tin Man red and a respective solid color light indicates how many times each character has been hit. Also, normally the R-A-I-N-B-O-W lights up a different color as each letter is hit, and the Yellow Brick Road lights are yellow.

My WOZRR has suddenly changed all of these light buttons to a bright "fantasy" mixture of blinking light - all of them are the same and there is no way do see how many of each character has been hit, or how many letters of R-A-I-N-B-O-W have been hit (which is really important after a drain in the County Fair Ballon). I have tried a factory reset, unplugged the machine, and switched the machine off and on...none of which has helped. Can anyone please help?

#2 4 years ago

Treat it like a failed LED board. Last one working, first one after it that is messed up is the problem. Very rare, but could be the last working one not passing data cleanly.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Thank you...I am brand new to the pinball community, had the machine for 2 days...I dont know how to treat it like a failed LED board...can you help?

#4 4 years ago

I am no expert with WOZ light board issues, but I recommend either searching the WOZ thread for light issues or you can search the whole forum for them. There are a lot people who have had issues and posted tips for troubleshooting them.

#5 4 years ago

Or you can google WOZ light board issues and find results like the one I have posted below:

Download the WOZ manual http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com...1_Jul_2013.pdf
* Go to section C, page 50 where you will see the data cable wiring diagram
* Find the LAST WORKING board in the chain
* Bypass it by jumpering the board before it to the board after it ie if board 22 is working but board 23 is not (and all boards after it), connect board 21 to board 23 meaning you have bypassed board 22 (the cables are easy to disconnect once you make sure that you press the lug on it till you hear a click)
* All lights (except the one you bypassed) should now work.
* you need to go into the diagnostic menu, settings and disable the bypassed board

You may also find that jiggling the wire on the last working board fixes the issue but this will most likely be a temporary fix as the actual problem is most likely a bad solder joint on 2 of the legs of the LED driver chip on the board. This was my problem anyway & I know of someone else who had the same issue

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

can you help?

This should help you :

Please check out page C-54 in the manual ( you can download it at jerseyjackpinball.com ) that page shows the data harness path. From W6 to #29, to #1, to #2, to #3, etc. etc.

Please go into Tests - LEDs - All LEDs, this turns any working all white. Lift playfield and lean on backbox. You can see the working ones kind of glow.

They are wired in series, a straight line. Find the last working one, the one after it that is out is the bad one. With the power on, you can by pass the data harnesses on the LED boards, bypass the bad one, and turn off in settings. ( be sure and turn it back on when you replace it ) this will help you identify a bad one.

As an example, say #15 was out. You can run the data harness from red on W2, to green on #16 instead of #15. If the rest light up, you know #15 is the bad one.

With the power on you can move data harnesses. They go red to green from board to board. Don't mess with the power connectors with the power on.

#7 4 years ago

Thank you guys! I will do what you suggest. This is my first pinball game EVER...so I am in uncharted territory!

I ran a LED test, testing the lights one by one. That test revealed #121 at the top right had an issue. I turned the power off, lifted the playing field, and removed the lavender and black power fitting source to that switch. I plugged the machine back in and turned it on, and the lights to the lower half of the machine were off. I powered back down, replace the lavender and black source to the #121 switch, powered up and the machine worked as it should...for one play and then back to the abstract lighting display. Bad switch? Bad connection? Thank you for helping!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

Bad connection?

Bad LED board. Not switch ?

You can move data harnesses around with power on, good thing you turned game off to mess with power connector - purple and black wires. No idea where you came up with messing with power cable.

#9 4 years ago

Pinball friends...LTG does support work for JJP. I had called JJP and left a voicemail. LTG proactively located my cell number and CALLED ME! LTG walked me through the troubleshooting process, identified the LED board causing the trouble and walked me through the process of wiring around the troubled board (top right corner on WOZ that does nothing but a small light). WOZ is back up and running good as new!

If you are ever in the Hopkins, Minnesota area, stop by SS Billiard and say hello to Lloyd (LTG)...a real pinball friend!!

LTG...Thank you so much for your help!!!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

Pinball friends...LTG does support work for JJP. I had called JJP and left a voicemail. LTG proactively located my cell number and CALLED ME! LTG walked me through the troubleshooting process, identified the LED board causing the trouble and walked me through the process of wiring around the troubled board (top right corner on WOZ that does nothing but a small light). WOZ is back up and running good as new!
If you are ever in the Hopkins, Minnesota area, stop by SS Billiard and say hello to Lloyd (LTG)...a real pinball friend!!

It’s nice to hear that you were able to solve the issue so quickly. Enjoy playing again.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

Get a WoZ 2.0 light upgrade kit ordered from JJP while they're still discounted to help people get moved over. This will not be the last time you have 1.xx light board issues. It's a bad design and they will all eventually fail prematurely.

#12 4 years ago

Great advice vireland!! LTG pretty much said the same thing..."if your financial situation allows, go ahead and buy a 2.0 lighting system now"

Thank you!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

Great advice vireland!! LTG pretty much said the same thing..."if your financial situation allows, go ahead and buy a 2.0 lighting system now"
Thank you!

It's really not that hard to install, just time-consuming, but you can do it over a weekend in 2-3 hour chunks. Instructions are very detailed, and it will make your lighting rock-solid for the future and improve resale value down the road.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's really not that hard to install, just time-consuming, but you can do it over a weekend in 2-3 hour chunks. Instructions are very detailed, and it will make your lighting rock-solid for the future and improve resale value down the road.

I thought the new RR’s came with the 2.0 lights. Am I wrong? How does one confirm the version of lights?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I thought the new RR’s came with the 2.0 lights. Am I wrong? How does one confirm the version of lights?

I think the transition started sometime after the RR run started, so not all have 2.0. If LTG recommended upgrading, pretty sure that means he has 1.xx.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

How does one confirm the version of lights?

Look under the playfield. Data harnesses running from board to board. Tiny connectors with red or green paint on them - old system. Or blue ethernet cables all over, and a B.A.G. board and HUB board hanging down under there - 2.0

Or check the manual. Download from jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Wizard Of Oz. Page C-54 for old system, page E-24 for 2.0 system.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look under the playfield. Data harnesses running from board to board. Tiny connectors with red or green paint on them - old system. Or blue ethernet cables all over, and a B.A.G. board and HUB board hanging down under there - 2.0
Or check the manual. Download from jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Wizard Of Oz. Page C-54 for old system, page E-24 for 2.0 system.

Thank you for the references. Funny but my RR is different than what’s shown in the manual dated 2016. It appears that the hub board has been incorporated into the W1 board. Would be nice if they would update the manual to reflect this change along with any other changes they might have made to the more recent models.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzzie:

LTG is nothing less than an awesome professional and person, we're so lucky to have him!

Glad your game is back in action - you selected one of the best pins ever made!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 91.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 16.95
$ 5.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-on-woz-not-correct-color-please-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.