44%
  • Depends 19 votes
    27%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A3B7F45-E769-4A41-AD0C-7A126098B4EB (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Do you play your pins in a darkened room with lights off or do you keep some lights on? I currently have recess lights right over a couple of pins temporarily so have been playing lately without them on.

#3 1 year ago

Ohhh...with a poll!

#5 1 year ago

Awesome, thanks for the links. I clearly don’t use the search function

#6 1 year ago

Black lights on overhead No glare

#7 1 year ago

I turn lights on but pulled the bulbs directly above the machines

#8 1 year ago

I installed some LED light strips all the way around the top of the room for indirect lighting. I have them hooked up to an Alexa so I can turn them on or off at will while playing. All in under $200. I absolutely keep the lights on on some older games that need the light, but turn them off for some of the newer games that do better in dark rooms.

#9 1 year ago

I have light dimmers and prefer low light.

#10 1 year ago

If I have all the pins on there's no need for light! Nothing like your pinballs lighting up the room brighter than your ceiling lights!

#11 1 year ago

I’m used to playing in dark bars and arcades. Lights off at home too.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Awesome, thanks for the links. I clearly don’t use the search function

If one thing holds true in this hobby, people’s opinions change all the time. I get a chuckle when someone posts a fresh poll, and then someone posts links from 5-10 years ago of the same type of poll based on the active users back then. Opinions change, and active users entering the hobby has changed as well. What will be curious is if the poll data still holds true or not. Happens a lot on pinside; keep the polls coming - let’s see how the hobby has changed, or not changed, in the past 10 years.

No offense meant towards TheLaw in the making of my post. Or maybe I’m completely mistaken by laws agenda in posting the links, and maybe he was posting for the same exact reason I posted, to compare data with this poll today. Shoot I need more coffee…and a vacation.

#13 1 year ago

Dup

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If one thing holds true in this hobby, people’s opinions change all the time. I get a chuckle when someone posts a fresh poll, and then someone posts links from 5-10 years ago of the same type of poll based on the active users back then. Opinions change, and active users entering the hobby has changed as well. What will be curious is if the poll data still holds true or not. Happens a lot on pinside; keep the polls coming - let’s see how the hobby has changed, or not changed, in the past 10 years.
No offense meant towards TheLaw in the making of my post. Or maybe I’m completely mistaken by laws agenda in posting the links, and maybe he was posting for the same exact reason I posted, to compare data with this poll today. Shoot I need more coffee…and a vacation.

Let's be honest for a minute. The vast majority of the time these repeat/redundant threads come up are not because someone wants a refresh of opinion. The reason it happens is because Pinsiders are 1) ignorant of the Pinside search features, 2) too lazy to use the search features on the site regarding their topic before they create a new thread, or 3) they have an egocentric attitude towards the particular topic and previous discussions are not deemed worthy.

Even so, I do find it quite entertaining when someone creates a new thread on pricing and CrazyLevi brings the receipts on past threads addressing the same topic.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Lights on or off?

Yes.

When in serious playing mode, I typically turn off my game room's overhead fluorescent lights and turn on numerous neon signs as well as all of my games.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No offense meant towards TheLaw in the making of my post..

You son of a bitch

It just comes down to diff'rent theories on forum etiquette. Some people like to start new threads, some people see it as a bit rude/lazy like Tantrum.
This is why I just list them now instead of saying "do a fucking search" like I used to . Not a big deal; people are going to post in this thread no matter what & OP can look at those threads if he's really interested in the subject.
To me the polls aren't scientific and people enjoy more to post and get others thoughts; which to me makes more sense in a thread that holds data over time.

#17 1 year ago

If everyone really did a thorough search of the forum before posting to ensure they are only adding original content, there’d be about 1 new post a month.

#18 1 year ago

As someone recently diagnosed with Glaucoma, my eye sight has been getting progressively worse over the past decade. (along with night-vision issues)

So I need lights on.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

If everyone really did a thorough search of the forum before posting to ensure they are only adding original content, there’d be about 1 new post a month.

1 new thread a month....sign me up

#20 1 year ago

I had the chance to design the game room including lighting. Overhead halogen dimmable spot lights are my preference. Lights out with the spots adjusted just right to give a little extra light on the pf. A few inches in front of the pins means no glare on the glass. Finally, I had the recessed can lights put on two separate dimmers so when playing pins I can completely turn off only the ones over the pins.

8A3B7F45-E769-4A41-AD0C-7A126098B4EB (resized).jpeg8A3B7F45-E769-4A41-AD0C-7A126098B4EB (resized).jpeg

#21 1 year ago

I generally prefer to play with dim lights or lights off and just the glow from the games lighting the room like the arcades...We have can lights in our gameroom ceiling along with a fan in the center...my preference is to play with the light on the fan on and the rest off. I don't like having super bright lights on above the games as they sometimes create glare...I prefer to have the arcade atmosphere as opposed to the "shop" bright lights on when playing...Most newer games have plenty of light on there own with no need for added lights!

Phoebe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-on-or-off-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.