Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tommycrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you usually play with the lights on, or off?”

• Lights ON, I am older and don't see very well. Besides, I could trip on something. 9 votes
      9%
    • Lights ON, it's usually past my bedtime when it's dark out. 4 votes
      4%
    • Lights OFF, I like the pins to light up the room. I need atmosphere! 53 votes
      54%
    • I play whenever. Day, night, no difference. When's odin coming back? 20 votes
      20%
    • Squirrel (pick this if dumb polls make you cranky) 13 votes
      13%

(99 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

me_(resized).JPG
    wavelength-and-efficiency-of-daylight-vs-incandescent-vs-warm-white-led-vs-halogen-vs-cool-white-led-vs-warm-white-led_(resized)
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

Do you only play after dark? I do. I can't remember a time that I turned on all the pins during daylight hours. I need atmosphere!* Nighttime is pin time for me. I just never feel the urge during the day, weekends included. Anyone else?

*One of my pin rooms is a 'dark room', but I still never have thoughts of playing during the day.

#2 8 years ago

You're just weird.

#3 8 years ago

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You're just weird.

and yes I want o-din back!

Ken

#5 8 years ago

Last poll option had me like

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 8 years ago

I have complete control over the lighting in the bar/gameroom. It could be high noon and with the room darkening curtains shut it's like midnight.

I prefer dark, but with the ceiling lights on and dimmed low. Some pins need a little light on the playfield.

#7 8 years ago

*Squirrel is the go-to response when you have no idea what's going on. That's ok, I just need to burn 2 more hours at 'work', and I'm out of here too.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I prefer dark, but with the ceiling lights on and dimmed low. Some pins need a little light on the playfield.

I'll need to wander around and turn off pool table lights etc when no longer in use to help keep it dark. In my 'dark' room I walk around with a miner light on, using clamp lights for repairs. Just a dim black light overhead. Ya probably weird.

#9 8 years ago

there is no natural light in my pinball room -- there are a couple windows, but i have shades that block 100% of the sunlight.*

I have modded the lighting in all of my games so that the GI lights up the entire playfield quite well, so playing in the dark is definitely the best experience. (it's not totally pitch black in there, though. there's some ambient light from adjacent rooms)

* UV radiation = death for paint and plastics, and sunlight happens to be heavily weighted towards the UV end of the spectrum, much moreso than incandescent light, which in turn has much more UV than LEDs.
    wavelength-and-efficiency-of-daylight-vs-incandescent-vs-warm-white-led-vs-halogen-vs-cool-white-led-vs-warm-white-led_(resized)wavelength-and-efficiency-of-daylight-vs-incandescent-vs-warm-white-led-vs-halogen-vs-cool-white-led-vs-warm-white-led_(resized)

the left side of each graph there, the bluish-purple area below 400nm, represents the ultraviolet radiation, which causes a chemical process in dyes, paints, and plastics to break down and lose their pigment. the color red is especially vulnerable.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I prefer dark, but with the ceiling lights on and dimmed low.

I second this method. The perfect combo

#11 8 years ago

I pick Squirrel!!! Thats me in the Pic!

Seriously, it is this question I address in emails all day.....

I personally play with lights off, or dimmed light.

For those reading this, and doing LEDs, if you use 1 SMD 5050...what you find it most kits, youll need some extra lighting to play in the dark. From Pinball Bulbs, Mark and James have created and add extra strips and spots, for a brilliant all playfield lit game. Great Job!
    Cointaker has brighter Bulbs available to add, as well as lighting strips to give you this look from the industry leaders, and we have both strips and brighter bulbs, to achieve as well.

Generally Twin 2835 are bright enough, I prefer frosted, to play in the dark, but Op-Max help tremendously.

We will have some new releases this year of product that will go one step further that work with our Matrix line, which covers this completely.

In all, cant go wrong with a game in the dark....love what it adds to the game play, and a dimmer switch for overhead room lighting is a great way to start!

me_(resized).JPGme_(resized).JPG

#12 8 years ago

Since we are getting technical here, your eyes need to be able to track the ball to play well. For your eyes to track well, you need a sufficient amount of light.

The questions are then:
    Do you care about playing well or would you rather promote the darkness as a "party" or "ambiance" feature?
    For some, it's all about scoring and the ability to play well, for others - it's about the social gathering (party), and for others it is kind of in between. Which you choose will have a bearing on the emphasis of the amount of additional light you will require.
    For some folks, they can gain enough light to see well to play. This can vary some from player to player. It's all personal preference. I like it dark enough to accent the games, but enough ambient light for heated battles. Our games are in a basement which really is pretty dark in the daytime to begin with. I have incandescent bulb strings on a dimmer and peripheral objects such as LED signs and candles. For me, this sets up the party atmosphere, while giving enough light for some fairly serious battles. It may not be ideal for a tournament setting, but it is what we like for a home arcade.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Since we are getting technical here, your eyes need to be able to track the ball to play well. For your eyes to track well, you need a sufficient amount of light.
    The questions are then:
    Do you care about playing well or would you rather promote the darkness as a "party" or "ambiance" feature?
    For some, it's all about scoring and the ability to play well, for others - it's about the social gathering (party), and for others it is kind of in between. Which you choose will have a bearing on the emphasis of the amount of additional light you will require.
    For some folks, they can gain enough light to see well to play. This can vary some from player to player. It's all personal preference. I like it dark enough to accent the games, but enough ambient light for heated battles. Our games are in a basement which really is pretty dark in the daytime to begin with. I have incandescent bulb strings on a dimmer and peripheral objects such as LED signs and candles. For me, this sets up the party atmosphere, while giving enough light for some fairly serious battles. It may not be ideal for a tournament setting, but it is what we like for a home arcade.

If the playfield is well lit by the GI, ambient light is irrelevant to ball tracking. granted that likely requires modding most games that aren't a modern Stern. My WOZ and STTNG had dark areas before I spruced them up.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

If the playfield is well lit by the GI, ambient light is irrelevant to ball tracking. granted that likely requires modding most games that aren't a modern Stern. My WOZ and STTNG had dark areas before I spruced them up.

Agreed, I neglected to mention this varies from game to game. I don't need ambient light to play modern games that are well lit by spotlights, but older darker games or something like F-14 Tomcat with its bazillion flashers can be much more difficult to play without additional lighting. I've been thinking about adding some kind of lighting mods to my Pinbot, side by side with the other games is comparably dark.

#15 8 years ago

Start with the lights on, then turn them off in about 1hr and turn up the music. Like playing a whole new machine.

#16 8 years ago

I don't think Ems have some of the pf lighting issues the newer ones may have.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I don't think Ems have some of the pf lighting issues the newer ones may have.

I also don't think a lot of the newer machines have the PF lighting issues some people do.

#18 8 years ago

I like the lights on because I like to see what I am getting. At least that is what I tell my wife. Oh wait...we are talking about pinball. Whoops, my bad!

(Odin get your butt back on here FFS)

#19 8 years ago

Some lights on. Pitch black the newer machines are just too bright....especially the flashers.

#20 8 years ago

Dark, with just one lamp on in the room for some ambient light. Preferably with a cold Shiner Bock beer in the PinGulp holder and some classic Rush or 80s music on the speakers...

#21 8 years ago

for me i tend to keep the light on over head because when it's dark the glare (i think from the glass)makes it harder to follow the ball. i have thought about the led lights but haven't made that decision to change them
    tommy crum
    and yes i would like to see odin back i like his comentary

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-on-or-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.