Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Letter_K
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

We got our Genie working great, but are having trouble with the lights. We tried to trace the power and tried to swap one of the driver transistors, but all that did was lose us more lights.

Are we on the right track, or could it be something that's not on the boards?

#2 13 years ago

Try to give us more info on your symptoms. Which lights, EM or SS etc. And check the fuse holders. Jump both side of the fuse with an alligator clip see if they come on.

#3 13 years ago

Whoops, i had Sinbad on my mind. Just worked on one today. Which lights.

#4 13 years ago

I think you are on the right track with the transistors, did you look up to make sure your new transistor has the same lug configuration E,B,C? Take out the driver board inspect it check the transistors with a multi meter see: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#lamp
This should help you solve the problem.

#5 13 years ago

Yeah, I didn't check this configuration you're talking about, erak. That's what we'll do next.

1 week later
#6 13 years ago

Okay, we've got the diagnostics working for the driver board. We definitely have bad transistors. What's with the EBC thing? Our Sinbad has different letters and works fine. The Genie transistors all say EBC.

Also, there's eight transistors that are supposed to control just one light in and upper and lower ABCD series, but they all control two lights. Do you think this is okay?

#7 13 years ago

E = Emitter B = Base C = Collector

Different configurations of these pins make up diffrent types of transistors. Getting them properly installed is highly important.

Also check the lamp matrix, see which transistors in the matrix drive the lamps that are not functioning, then test and replace these as needed.

#8 13 years ago

EBC = emitter, base, collector .. sometimes replacement parts will have different legs.
I recommend going to www.nteinc.com for compatibility issues.
They used to be ECG but NTE bought them out. We still have all the old paperback cross reference books at work. (sorry about the late website edit)

#9 13 years ago

okay, we're doing that and we're having a lot of success with cleaning the pin connectors. We're going to have to get into replacing a few it looks like.

So, are there different types of MPS-A13 transistors? If I need to replace any, how do I know which ones to get?

edit: okay, got that figured out too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-not-coming-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.