Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2740 (resized).JPG
aSp-Mi-Work-09 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Silverstreak02.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

When I attempt to start my Space Mission the lights come on, but that's it. I press the credit button and nothing happens. I checked the four fuses on the panel and they are fine. I have it set to free play and have double checked my jumper. I should mention this is the first start since clear coating the playfield and replacing the bottom board. I've had a lot of things apart and have cleaned switches as I went. The machine was working perfectly before I started the refurb. This is the first time I've worked on an EM and need some help. I have the schematic, but am unfamiliar with them and AC current. One of the things I noticed is I have about 30VAC on both sides of the switch for the credit button without pressing the switch and the contacts aren't touching. That doesn't seem right to me. Where should I start?

#3 7 years ago

I broke out my ohm meter and started tracing the circuit for the credit button switch. I found I had an open circuit for the reset relay switch (E). I cleaned the switch and now have a complete circuit all the way to the EOS switch on the credit unit. I cleaned and adjusted the upper contact on the EOS switch. Now when I hit the credit button the score reels reset, game over light goes out and the ball kicks out into the shooter lane. One hurdle down, but I still have problems. Nothing on the playfield will score a point and the chime coil once activated stays on (load buzzing). I don't have more time tonight, but hope to work on it again tomorrow. Where should I start? Any ideas?

#5 7 years ago

It's been a rather frustrating night. When I tried starting the machine tonight I had lights, but nothing else. I messed around cleaning relays again and it started working with most of the playfield functions except for the kickers. I started cleaning contacts in that circuit and you guessed it, the machine won't start a game again. I went back to the beginning with the ohm meter and while messing with the credit unit coil all of a sudden I got a good circuit and of course the machine started. That time I was able to play an entire ball with everything apparently working including the kickers. The ball drained and of course it still said I was on ball one and it didn't kick out into the shooter lane. I cleaned all the Jones plugs and don't have time until tomorrow to try again. This is getting very frustrating.

#8 7 years ago

Nothing is consistent so far. It doesn't do the same thing twice. Whenever I think I'm making progress it reverts to not starting a game again. I plan to work on it more tonight.

#11 7 years ago

I started tracing the circuit as Fredsmythson suggested. I found high resistance at the Jones plug that leads to the credit button. I untied the string and moved the wires around and suddenly I had a complete circuit from the button to the plug. I hooked it up and still nothing worked I then moved the wires around by the reset relay and still nothing. Then as Rolf_martin suggested I manually closed the coin relay and the game came alive. I played an entire game with everything on the playfield working. Much to my surprise I was able to start another game and have played about 10 games since with a successful start each time. After the second or third game the playfield lights flickered a couple of times and have been out ever since. The lights in the backbox all work with the exception of the same player shoots again light. The coin door lights also don't work. As much as I want the lights to work I'm scared to touch anything for fear it may not work again. Ideas?

#12 7 years ago

I should mention I did check the fuses and they are OK. To add to the story; all the scoring features work including the bonus at the end. I just don't have any lights. How can I tell which circuit goes through which Jones plug? I don't see the plugs on the schematic. I'm thinking I should start at the plugs for the playfield although the coin door is different. The coin mechanism also doesn't work although I don't really care. It did work before.

#14 7 years ago

Update I removed the fuse and found it was open. It is a 15amp, but what type should I install? I ask since I see several different types in the fuse holder.

#16 7 years ago

I checked my amp load and found it was a little over 4 amps. I replaced the fuse and now it works fine. We played several 4 player games tonight and it works great. Thanks to everyone that helped.

#17 7 years ago

Pretty lights

IMG_2740 (resized).JPGIMG_2740 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Silverstreak02.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lights-but-nothing-else-when-starting-my-space-mission?tu=Silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.