Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CraigC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

So I'm new to this pinball thing and recently found out about the whole Lightning flipper thing and was wondering if people here could clarify a few things.

I understand that this was a decision by Williams to increase the difficulty but is there any record of which tables were designed using Lightning flippers and which were designed using standard flippers which were then changed to Lightning flippers? I have a feeling I'd rather play using the intended flipper size.

Does anyone here have a table that they changed flipper sizes on or is it generally the concensus to keep them as they were sold, that way everyone is playing on a level playfield (pinball pun)?

The thing is, I was planning on buying my first table and it would be good if I had flippers that were similar to other games so that when I play league games I'd be familiar but I quite fancy a FT or WCS as a cheap beginner table but maybe if I changed the flippers to standard it'd be better for my 'training'?

The tables that have Lightning flippers that I know of are: FT, BSD, DW, WCS. Are there others?

#2 12 years ago

WCS never had lightning flippers. Black Rose was designed and shipped with them.

#3 12 years ago

popeye has them as well.

#4 12 years ago

So does Fish tales and BSD

Jim

#5 12 years ago

i don't think wcs has lightning flippers, at least the one i had didn't, but i don't think those were on there.

#6 12 years ago

#used part number part name used on games
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 20-9734-5 flipper euro w/shaft white Popeye, WH2O
    6 20-9734-6 flipper euro w/shaft yellow BSD, DW, FT
    3 20-9734-7 flipper euro w/shaft black BR

From a parts search at:
    http://www.moll.no/pinball/parts/index.php

http://www.moll.no//pinball/parts/index.php?part=flipper%20euro&mach[ALL]=1

#7 12 years ago

I mentioned WCS becuse I recently watched a PAPA video by Keith Johnson and he said he was playing with lightning flippers. Do they sometimes change the flippers in competition to make it harder?

http://vimeo.com/36947208

#8 12 years ago

Yes alot of the tourney games have all kinds of things done to them. ie Wide open outlanes, lightning flips, no extra balls, hardest rules, bouncy new rubber, tight tilts, etcetc

#9 12 years ago

That's cool. So does anyone here change the flippers to make their home tables easier or harder?

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Yes alot of the tourney games have all kinds of things done to them. ie Wide open outlanes, lightning flips, no extra balls, hardest rules, bouncy new rubber, tight tilts, etcetc

I can agree with turning off extra balls and opening up the outlanes, but isn't swapping the flippers kinda changing how the game plays? That should be against the rules, IMO (I'm not a big tourney player though so what do I know).

#11 12 years ago

I swapped my lightening flippers in bsd with regular blood red ones.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

That's cool. So does anyone here change the flippers to make their home tables easier or harder?

Definitely some do. Lighting flippers does make the game significantly tougher, especially combined with a tight tilt and other things that make the game hard.

For perspective, my best game of BSD with lighting flippers is about 1.8B. With regular flippers it's 3.4 Billion, and that was only the 3rd time I had played that particular BSD, whereas the 1.8B was after literally about 200 games.

You referenced the PAPA video - I believe they also put lightning flippers on an Attack from Mars for competition play.

#13 12 years ago

My LOTR has lightning flippers on it right now, among other modifications. You could almost call it LOTR: PAPA Style. The Orange County Pinball League members are going to get their asses kicked on it this Sunday

#14 12 years ago

I'd rather see them put lightning flippers on a game than remove the outlane posts as I've seen them do. I guess if ball times are too long for the A-division players in tournaments, they have to do something.

Anyway, my Fish Tales had one lightning flipper and one regular on it when I bought it. I wanted lightning on it, so I bought new ones. Both of the replacements broke in less than 100 games. I'd still like lightning on it, but I'm NOT spending more money on crappy reproduction parts until I can confirm they have worked out the quality problem.

#15 12 years ago

Fish Tales wasn't designed for, or meant to have lightning flippers installed. They were put on as a result of a whiny frenchman that had too much influence with Williams. He demanded they be installed for his overseas market, to reduce gametime.

Williams only installed them on the American machines, because they were overstocked on them. If you want your FT original, install regular flippers!

5 years later
    #17 6 years ago

FT plays better with lightning flippers; the game is just too easy without them.

BSD, on the other hand would be brutal with 2 king kong flippers, so I switched lightnings back to standard. I find that I suck less and enjoy the game more instead of sobbing in a pool of my own tears. I have no shame.

the Barry Ourslanes on BSD and DH are just mean. the ball hits that exposed wood and instantly drops with no chance for nudging.

sigh.

-c

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lightning-or-standard-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.