Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by plowpusher
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

First post to the forum, ideally I've found the right sub forum for a question on protecting my pins from lightning damage. Have lived in the house for two years but has been struck by lightning 3 times in last 9 months! 5 out of 7 pins are damaged or displaying defects after the events, each unique. I'll do some more research on the forums and internet to attempt to debug each of them separately as I'm missing my games. So my question is what is the best method to protect my pins from future lightning strikes? I currently have 7 machines, can I get a single surge protector for all of them or do you have any recommendations on a reasonably priced solution for each? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 6 years ago

Wow sorry to hear that! I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime in with a better option, but personally I'd connect them to a couple power strips and unplug them from the wall when you're not playing.

#3 6 years ago

I have all mine plugged into 1 surge protector and I leave it UNPLUGGED when not in use; this is why.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

I have all mine plugged into 1 surge protector and I leave it UNPLUGGED when not in use; this is why.

Same here. Only takes a few seconds to plug/unplug and no risk when the games are not in use.

#5 6 years ago

Tons of threads dealing with this issue. Search it and you will find what you need .

#6 6 years ago

Nothing will protect against a direct lightning strike except unplugging. A friends house was just hit with lightning a week ago, took out his generator, garage door opener and air conditioning. Supposedly, he has a surge protector on his entire house, protected some things,but not everything. Insurance covers lightning strikes, but best to unplug when you can.

#7 6 years ago

I deal with lightning damage on a pretty regular basis with my job. As a few have mentioned, unplugging the games is a sure way to protect them.

Buy a decent power strip surge protector with high joule ratings (10,000s).

Install a whole home surge suppressor that is mounted off your main electrical panel.

Request your local utility to inspect their system in your area. They should verify grounding and no lightning arresters have failed.

Hire an electrician to inspect your electrical service. Make sure that the grounding is correct, ground rods have been installed properly, no corrosion on your ground or neutral bar, verify your ground and neutral bars are bonded in the panel. I'd also suggest having all the bonding checked; your ground system for your electrical service should also be bonded to metallic water lines, telephone, cable TV, and metallic gas lines.

I also agree that if your home takes a direct shot of lightning, you will have damage. I've seen cases where wire inside walls have been vaporized and once saw a garage door opener motor blow through the garage roof.

#8 6 years ago

Someone showed me these before and not sure if it would work to protect your games. But these are cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TGLS704/ref=mp_s_a_1_2

Now that I'm thinking about it, the l
    Lightning would probably just jump over the disconnect switch in it. Thought I would share this anyway

#9 6 years ago

Unplug them. A damage claim I was at had a tree get struck, travel underground through the roots then flatten 2 tires on a car and cook it's electronics. It was an extreme case, but 3 superior insulators, wood, earth and rubber were all overcome. A direct strike will easily jump any gap created by a surge suppressor.

My question for your situation would be confirming that it's actually lightning strikes, and not taking hits through power because you have somehow become the path of least resistance.

#10 6 years ago

Unplug them, takes one second.

#11 6 years ago

Get a separate insurance policy for your pins make sure it covers water fire and acts of trump
    Make sure you get trump insurance my TV tells me all bad things happen because of him

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Install a whole home surge suppressor that is mounted off your main electrical panel.

x 1000. My local utility did this and the charge was around $160 paid over 12 months (automatically on my electric bill).

Grounding rod is absolutely necessary in the OPs case after that many strikes. You are literally playing with a potential fire hazard / loss of the entire house.

#13 6 years ago

My neighbor's tree that's right close to my house was struck not long ago. Never heard a thunder strike that loud before. Cooked a bunch of their electronics - ac, washer, dryer, tv's, etc. Even blew out a chunk of their landscaping, tossed stones, and broke sprinkler line. Did a lot of damage to surrounding houses as well. Luckily my pins were okay. Did have a few things go out but nothing major. I try to unplug my pins during heavy lightning storms but I am not always home plus we got a lot of them where I live.

#14 6 years ago

Id move, thats just a lot of lighting in short period of time.
    Or you could do what space x does. Install 4 lighting towers around launch pad.
    Or, unplug machine's.
    Good news, despite what damage you have plenty of new boards will fix machines. Or, send all suspect boards to Clive, at Coin op Cauldren for repair.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks guys, great advice in here. Out of respect for the folks in my subdivision that lost their homes (2 of them) in the last storm I won't sensationalize but what you all say about the danger is real, beyond the pins we're looking for housewide protection...actions noted: insurance policy, contact local utility, use surge protector and remove from wall...I used Lenny's for a board repair recently and in the past with good experience and am interested in trying out Coin op Cauldron as well, I've got a TZ with reset problems, a LOTR with odd "undefined" audit issue, Tommy smelled like transformer went out, RFM CRT is green now, BK with board problems (now have "9" showing on MPU board diag) so will be scouring the forum for solutions...

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Unplug them, takes one second.

this

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lightning-damage?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.