Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Leviton_51120.jpg
    surge.JPG
    images-1.jpeg
    #1 12 years ago

do you all unplug your pins in an electrical storm and what could happen if i dont?

#2 12 years ago

Worst case is your house takes a direct hit and it fries all the electronics in your entire house not just your pin. More likely you'll get a close hit that causes surging through the lines with the risk being some possible damage to chips, diodes, transistors etc.. Best to just unplug them.

#3 12 years ago

Yes. Lightning can do weird things. Some stuff can fry and other stuff can be fine. I play it safe and unplug them along with my other electronics stuff.

#4 12 years ago

I have all my pins on power stripes with protection built in.

#5 12 years ago

power stripes

#6 12 years ago

with protection built in.

Daaaammnnn Right!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

#7 12 years ago

I use these small surge protectors

surge.JPGsurge.JPG

#8 12 years ago

Surge Pro +1

#9 12 years ago

Its always best to unplug the machines when your done playing and
    dont put your trust in surge protectors.Unpluging takes 2 seconds.

#10 12 years ago

Surge protectors and power strips do absolutely no good for lightning strikes. For small surges during normal operations, they work. If you are depending on them for protection from lightning strikes, good luck. Your best bet is to unplug stuff you care about during storms.

#11 12 years ago

Good to know thanks stangbat, Ill do that next time.

#12 12 years ago

You wouldn't believe how people consider strikes and surges as interchangeable. We have a Frankenstein on location at the local rec center and it has a huge pool not far from the snack bar/game room. We've seen countless games failing in numerous ways due to lightning strikes/surges because of that pool. It acts as a lightning magnet when a storm comes through. Not to mention the fact that flyback tranformers in older CRT monitors are very susceptible to power surges. We had to replace a monitor just a couple of months ago. It was quite funny seeing the words "Game Over" burned into the screen (it was a Galaga).

#13 12 years ago

Stangbat you are right on. This has been my advice too.

11 months later
    #14 11 years ago

We just had a an electrical storm that did damage to some of my pins. The power went out and came right back on around 6am. Later I found that several of my circuit breakers had been tripped. It's not really practical for me to unplug all of my games when I am not playing and only half of them were on power strips. I had never had trouble before, but this time I found that 2 of my games (not on strips) wouldn't switch on. A little digging and I found that the varistors and main line fuses on those two were literally blown to pieces. Fortunately, $10 at radio shack and 1/2 hr repair and they were back up and running. Would a power strip really have prevented this? I am finding a lot of different opinions.

#15 11 years ago

My wife was laughing at me last week when we had a huge thunderstorm pass thru. I ran inside and unplugged all my games and was trying to explain that a lightning strike bridges the gap in a surge protector and can still cause problems. Plus, it only takes a second, so better safe than sorry, right?

#16 11 years ago

All my pins are on wall switches. Would I still need to unplug them?

#17 11 years ago

Can it cause problems if they are turned off?

#18 11 years ago

But a Stern Lightning is safe, right?

#19 11 years ago

I have three layers of protection:

1). Power strips for all machines for when I am playing
    2). All outlets (thus power strips) on their own circuit breaker, thus when I am finished playing I just turn off the outlets at the circuit breaker box
    3). The home I live in is, in itself, surge protected

Since I live in Florida, and we do indeed get some impressive lightning, I do not want to risk anything.

#20 11 years ago

I have had electronic still fry with surge protectors. Cheap surge protectors have a lower Joules rating and therefore cant take a big hit. The best line of defense is to get a surge protector installed on your electrical panel.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I have had electronic still fry with surge protectors. Cheap surge protectors have a lower Joules rating and therefore cant take a big hit. The best line of defense is to get a surge protector installed on your electrical panel.

Yep! This is what I did when I had my home re-wired (surge protect the entire house).

#22 11 years ago

strips...

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

All my pins are on wall switches. Would I still need to unplug them?

Yes, it is best to unplug. Lightning is such a high voltage that it can jump/spread on ground wires while looking for a place to dissipate, and your whole house electrical system and probably your copper water pipes are tied together to the main breaker panel.
    I used to do some electrical building design and also worked as an EE for a power company and have heard some crazy stories about damage caused to phone and electrical systems from lightning strikes.

I have not kept up to date on surge suppressing systems in the last 10 years, but most are not worth much against a lightning hit that is nearby. The heavy duty commercial systems also cost several hundreds or thousands of dollars and even then they are likely not going to stop a direct lightning strike .

Here are some examples of heavy duty surge suppressors:
    http://www.advancedpowr.com/index.cfm?page=products_listing&categoryid=141

#24 11 years ago

Whether the game is on or not makes no difference.
    I unplug them. TVs, Computers, everything. Wasn't an issue in Anchorage as we rarely got thunderstorms. Here in Kansas, well, it seems we rarely even get rain.

#25 11 years ago

To be safe, unplug. Msot surge protectors have a MOV capacitor. It designed to fry and prevent the extra voltage from reaching equipment. It works well in most cases, but a direct lightning stirke it wont protect 100%. In many cases the MOV does not blow in enough time to protect from the massive power strike that lightining injects into the lines. Plus lightning does some funny things, tracing back up grounds, cable, and etc....

There are whole home surge protectors that do a better job, but in my experience nothing is 100%. When in doubt unplug.

#26 11 years ago

I have a Leviton whole house surge suppressor installed at each panel. They offer peace of mind against anything but a direct lightning strike. Whenever we get a really crazy electrical storm, I always unplug my machines just to be on the safe side.

Leviton_51120.jpgLeviton_51120.jpg

#27 11 years ago

Using a good surge suppressor to protect your pins under normal operation? Yes.

Relying on a surge suppressor to protect your pins from a lightning strike? No.

First thing I think about if my house is hit directly by lightning? Not pins.

viperrwk

#28 11 years ago

My entire gameroom has its own circuit breaker box - If I flip the breakers off is this enough to protect them?

Its a pain in the ass climbing under twelve games every time you think its going to lightening here which could be every other day in the NE during summer.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

My entire gameroom has its own circuit breaker box - If I flip the breakers off is this enough to protect them?
    Its a pain in the ass climbing under twelve games every time you think its going to lightening here which could be every other day in the NE during summer.

It is still not enough to turn off the breaker box. It is the ground wire that is going to transfer the lightning's energy to your games in the event of a direct lightning strike. The grounds of the breaker box are literally connected to the ground outside with cables and metal ground rods. The grounds are connected to the breaker box even when you shut off or pull out the main breaker. When the lightning hits, the voltage spreads around the ground and can jump onto those ground rods and go into your breaker box and home wiring.

It would probably be easier to unplug the machines if you get some of those power strips that let you plug in about 4 to 6 games each so you could unplug the strips rather than each game.

#30 11 years ago

1 pin I own I just plug into a Belkin surge protector and keep the surge protector unplugged until I'am ready to play, and simply plug it in. Its always best to keep it unplugged when not playing.

#31 11 years ago

Thanks DCFAN - I was hoping that wasnt the answer lol....

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

Thanks DCFAN - I was hoping that wasnt the answer lol....

No problem, glad to help out.
    I edited my post above to include:
    It would probably be easier to unplug the machines if you get some of those power strips that let you plug in about 4 to 6 games each so you could unplug the strips rather than each game.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Can it cause problems if they are turned off?

Yes. I think most of the comments here are addressing the turned off but plugged in condition.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lightning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.