image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago

Any chance you can/will offer the PCBs for sale and provide the BOM for anyone who wants to put this together on their own?

Maybe you already have and I missed that post.

#39 9 years ago

Awesome. Thanks!

3 months later
#72 8 years ago

I'll chime in to mention that I have two extra assembled boards sitting here and I would be willing to do a full run with ~10+ orders. You're on the hook for LEDs and cabling, but the boards are fully functional. I don't think I can match the $50 price but I'll run numbers tomorrow and see what I can do.

#85 8 years ago

Ok here's what I have happening,

One of my two is tentatively sold, and I'm now including a power cable to get from the coin door plug to the 12v plug on the board. I can't get much lower than $70 USD for this due to building them in low volume (qty 3 actually). I'm NOT including LED's or cabling for LEDs as there are far too many ways to do it, they are standard components, and there are too many configurations to compensate for; See Nelly and Herg's earlier posts regarding splitters and whatnot.

Now, regarding more boards, if Nelly wants to step up and do another run I will bow out, but I would consider doing a run of 10-12 right away and ideally knocking the price on all of the boards to ~$60 USD due to volume pricing at qty = 10+

This would again include a power cable, but no LED related items.

We'll figure it out!

#86 8 years ago

I was goin to wait a week or two more but since there's renewed interest, here's a taste of the companion mod I wanted this board for in the first place.

With enough interest I'll push past the prototype and offer something for sale.

// Error: Image 434132 not found //// Error: Image 434133 not found //// Error: Image 434131 not found //

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

image_4.jpgimage_4.jpg

image_5.jpgimage_5.jpg

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I want the taste! where is the taste you promised?

See above. Pics weren't posting from mobile well.

It's probably the most elaborate mod in terms of mods required to bring it to life. It requires Eli's ramps, Herg's board, and an LE apron to be brought to life, then it's some LED strips and custom apron inserts.

Currently I have the apron inserts 3D printed in a couple layers - they look way better than I anticipated they would and may actually end up being the final product depending on the price of laser cutting something a bit more professional. One advantage of the 3D printed version is I can make whatever pattern I (or you) would want for a fraction of tooling up a laser cutter for one-offs.

I have cabling and LED's on order for a batch of these, and I'm working on printing up some better mounting hardware for the LED strips that will hold them better and help prevent light bleed. In a couple weeks, as I said before, I may take some orders if there is interest.

#90 8 years ago

Ok here's the deal as we stand right now RE: RGB boards

I talked with Nelly and he's given me a green light/good luck on my own run of these. My run will include:

1x Herg's RGB board with latest code installed
1x 12V coin door power cable

It will NOT include any LED's or cabling for LEDs.

The batch price is set at $60 USD, shipped within North America (I think I break even?)- if you are outside NA I'll have to work a different price out... hopefully under $70...

I see the following folks on the list:

ignusfast
Sijcolo
Pinbally_1968
flukevfx
jeffspinballpalace
S3G
centerflank
3 x jeffspinballpalace
jazzmaster

Total = 11

Depending on the PCB delivery time and component availability, I would estimate payment and subsequent shipping to happen in ~2-3 weeks.

If you are on this list please send me a PM asap to confirm that $60 USD is ok with you - the old run was $50 and I'm unsure what price point you are agreeing to purchase at.

If you don't see your name but want in, send me a PM before the end of the week - posting in this thread after this post will not guarantee you a board! Assuming there are still at least 10 people on that list on Friday, I will place the orders for the components this weekend.

#91 8 years ago

Ok I want it! I have all the things you listed except my apron is a chrome one from Hooked. Will it still work with my apron? What will the price point be and what components will it come with?
tron.jpg

Assuming the mounting screws are the same as the pinball life apron I have (which accepts the blue LE inserts) they are compatible - it MAY depend on how you (or hooked) mounted your apron flashers but it wouldn't be hard to adjust any discrepancies (I hope).

I'm 100% unsure on price. I haven't run numbers yet, nor have I got what I would consider a "production" build done yet. The wiring and soldering is pretty ugly under that apron right now lol...

Also, check your PMs.

#95 8 years ago

I've heard back from almost everyone on the list so right now it looks like we'll be moving forward with an order of 10 boards. If anyone hasn't contacted me and wants a board, please let me know by Sunday evening (Aug 2).

I will be placing my orders first thing Monday morning

There may be a few extra boards if people drop out or there happens to be spare parts, but I can't promise a board to anyone if you don't let me know before I order parts.

Let others who might be interested know about this build, and keep in mind the apron mod I'm working on above (hopefully coming in a month or two *fingers crossed*) will require this board.

Thanks to all who have responded!

#99 8 years ago

If you don't mind. When your new apron mod is ready can you start a new thread on it? I think it deserves its own thread.

Yes I fully intend to. It will naturally link back to this thread, but I don't want to jump the gun on it - when I post it I want to be able to ship a batch within a week or two.

The above was just a teaser for us in the Herg RGB board club

#101 8 years ago

Parts are on order! Depending on PCB timing, I hope to have things ready for shipping in a week or two.

1 week later
#103 8 years ago

Just a quick update, all parts are in hand except the actual PCB's (of course lol)

I was hoping they would be here last week so I could build over the weekend but that wasn't in the cards... I even ordered them before officially committing to the build and they are still the last thing to arrive . The boards should arrive early this week so I might be able to get a batch out late this week, with the remainder the week after. Worst case all batches should be shipped out next week.

For those in on this build, keep an eye on your PM's in the coming days.

Thanks for the patience all.

#105 8 years ago

What could these be...
IMG_1370.JPGIMG_1370.JPG

Just programming them now then ready for a test in my machine to make sure all is well.

Will be shipping next week - buyers stand by for PMs this weekend!

#106 8 years ago

Well I'm a couple days late but a nice weekend at the lake can't be missed in a Canadian summer (which lasts roughly one month between snowstorms).

All boards tested 100% and the power cables are done. I'm beginning to package everything up so I'll be shooting out PM's with paypal info tonight or tomorrow morning. As a general reminder, please be sure to correlate your pinside name to your paypal info - i know mine is completely different and unrelated, like many are.

#109 8 years ago

PM's are out. In addition to addresses, please make sure I have a contact phone number particularly for US or international orders.

I have a waitlist of a few people at this point - I have enough boards to satisfy demand but not enough power cable. I will rectify that issue this week, but for the time being there are no more boards available unless people drop out.

There has been a decent amount of interest around the apron mod so I will probably be doing another run of 10-12 boards when I create a final version of that in the coming weeks so if you didn't get in on this build, keep an eye out for an RGB apron mod post next month or so.

#116 8 years ago

The Eli ramp lighting kit doesn't work on the LE afaik.

If someone has an LE and can figure out the pinout for the fiber optic drivers, I'm sure it could be made to work but it wont be plug and play.

#117 8 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the timely responses - I hope I've responded to anyone waiting for one.

I'm filtering through all of it and packing things up as I type. FYI I will be including some brief instructions and notes for everyone. I hope this helps those a bit nervous or concerned about installing this. If you managed to install the Eli kit, this is a piece of cake.

#120 8 years ago

Sorry bud - PM'd!

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I assumed you would be hand delivering this and installing for me

I could, but I'd have to bump shipping up to ~$800 to bring myself from Canada-land down to you, then there would be the hospitality fee I typically add on for travel which is approximately $300-400 per night, primarily for liquor. That is assuming we're bunking together of course (duh right?) and I'm pretty sure I still lose money on it.... due to the aforementioned liquor costs mostly.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

Purpledrilmonkey did you get my paypal?

Yes indeed. I believe all but one are confirmed paid, and they have confirmed there will be a slight delay so all is well.

#129 8 years ago

As of tomorrow morning, all paid boards will have been shipped!

Tracking was way too much on some - if you don't get a PM with a tracking number, your shipment doesn't have tracking but is on the way nonetheless. All shipments domestic and intl should be ~10 business days max. Let me know if you don't see anything in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the support all. This is the first mod I've ever shipped out and it was frankly a lot more work than one thinks - sorry it took a few days longer than I wanted but I hope everything works fine for everyone here out. Now I know why Nelly didn't jump at doing it for $50... and now I have no idea why I did for $60 lol

Either way, hope you enjoy! There's a few on waitlist I will be in touch with in the coming days, then on to the apron mod... and a secret Metallica mod...

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Want one!! Pls put me on waitlist

You're in. That's it for waitlist folks at this point - I'm out of extra boards. Pending cable delivery, I should have the 4 waitlist folks ready to ship early next week.

Might be another run of boards when the apron mod is ready if there's enough interest again but for now we're done.

#136 8 years ago

The only thing to watch for is the order of the colors in the wiring. Most of the bulk stuff is correct with B-R-G-12v which is pin-for-pin correct on these boards. Some of the consumer led strips I have are R-G-B-12v which will work but will output the wrong colors unless the pinouts are rewired.

Also, I personally don't know if I would bother going waterproof in a pinball machine. Waterproof is what I bought to tinker with, but its a bit painful to work with if you are cutting many small strips; removing the waterproofing to get at the solder pads is time consuming and finicky. IMO if you have rain/water pouring onto the LEDs in your pinball machine you have bigger issues. The strips do look nicer as a finished product however so it's more a personal decision.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I usually get the waterproof more to protect against bumps than water. The bare LEDs just seem awfully fragile to me. I agree that it can be a pain to peel back enough of it to solder to the terminals, though.

Fair thought as well. I haven't played much with the unprotected LED strips so I can't attest to their fragility, but the waterproof ones are undoubtedly more rigid and sturdy.

Do you have any tips/tricks to get the waterproofing cut back without damaging the traces or pads? Preferably not involving razor blades or sharp knives, but that really does work best for me in my experience....

#144 8 years ago

Exactly how I do it too

#147 8 years ago

Board waitlisters check your PM's. Shipping as early as Monday.

#149 8 years ago

All waitlist orders shipped yesterday afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone for the support.

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

When did this change? As originally, I was told it was 12, G, R, B

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Most of the bulk stuff is correct with B-R-G-12v which is pin-for-pin correct on these boards

It didn't?

"12,G,R,B" = B-R-G-12

Just make sure the plug arrows are correct to the board arrows (12v)

#159 8 years ago

One of the buyers is having an issue with the F11 fuse blowing when the RGB board was installed. Is there any advice on why this might be? I'm passing along some troubleshooting info but I saw an earlier post regarding F11 blowing due to Eli's kit with no real conclusion and hoped maybe someone here has had some experience on this problem?

previous semi-related posts: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-eli-ramps-not-working

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Ah, crap! I thought that strip WAS one of the combined type. Sorry about that. I'll take a look, but maybe someone else is better at picking them than I am.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DVGZGYU

This is what I am using - sorry its a Canadian link. Works 100% but it took FOREVER to arrive.

4 months later
#162 8 years ago

This is 100% tentative at this point, but I've had a random spike in unsolicited requests about these boards in the past week or so. I currently have none on hand, but would again entertain a run of them if we're looking like ~10 or so people interested.

I'll preface that statement with the following so there's no confusion:

- I will set up a pre-order website (and order website) for actual record keeping - don't PM or email me your preorders this time around.

- The price will increase. My purchasing power has greatly diminished in the past 4-6 months and I was naively pushing my luck back then so the price would probably be around $75 USD (shipped - no tracking) for the board and power cable... maybe a bit more maybe a bit less but that's my ballpark; I will update my spreadsheets with new prices this week and figure it out. International will be $10 more regardless due to shipping.

- Due to wonderful real life job/economy shenanigans, the apron mod has fallen to the backburner and is not ready yet - don't buy this expecting that mod within the immediate future, though it is still alive.

For now, if you are interested: just reply in this thread and I'll take an unofficial head count over the next while.
If there's interest enough to warrant it I'll toss the pre-order site together and move on with official pre-orders.

2 weeks later
#167 8 years ago

Ok, I'm making a go of this again. Looks like there's enough unofficial interest to break even - maybe I can get a few more to commit with some advertising effort. For now, I'm offering up the first pre-orders to the folks in this thread. Please head to this website to learn more and sign up:

http://www.purpledrillmonkey.com/tron-rgb-board-pre-order.html

If you don't submit through this website, I'm not considering your money committed at this time. I will be posting this publically in it's own market place thread at the end of the week.

Thanks to nosro for helping me troubleshoot the site a bit today, and thanks to Aurich for suggestions on handling orders. If there are any issues with the site or the form let me know.

#169 8 years ago

Just a bump up. Good response so far so I won't make a dedicated advertisement beyond this thread until I have a few extra kicking around.

Everyone who has expressed interest is on the list so far, along with a couple others. The longer lead time items are already on order - hopefully I can have these things shipping out quite a bit sooner than planned.

4 weeks later
#173 8 years ago

With a couple exceptions (I have emailed you) - Everyone who has paid as of right now will have their shipments leaving tomorrow.

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

I just ordered mine but I do have a question.
There are 2 output ports on the board. Are they both the same or is one the right ramp and the other the left ramp?

They are separate outputs driven by two banks of MOSFETs, but I only have a single RGB LED strip unit to test one at a time with so I'm not 100% sure what the code does between the two outputs. If Herg sees this he might elaborate on any differences between the outputs.

The lightcycle mode pulses the lights from blue to yellow so even if you only use a single output you don't have a Left/Right ramp issue.

2 weeks later
#181 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Do some RGB strip controller swap green and blue?

Sorry for not seeing this last week. Some LED strips (typically the 'consumer' versions I've seen) have the colors in a different order.

The strips that work pin for pin will be: B-R-G-12v. This is typical for the factory direct 5m reels one would buy from amazon or ebay, but some consumer kits (specifically the Sylvania ones I have) I've seen are: B-G-R-12v

Both will work but the second type will need a bit of rewiring (or recoding) to correct some light patterns.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have never seen the +12, R, G, B light strips as you have mentioned, but that doesn't surprise me at all. The RGB controllers and RGB LED connector cables are the same. They can be in any order. Many are labeled one way, but work another.

I'm assuming they did RGB in order because lay-people would be comfortable with that order.

capture_(resized).PNGcapture_(resized).PNG

Ironically you are bang on correct - they are 100% mislabelled. I plugged some of the 'standard' +12, G, R, B I have on hand and they work fine.

7 months later
#185 7 years ago

I have one last kit sitting around in case anyone is still perusing this thread.

PM me or --> http://www.purpledrillmonkey.com/tron-rgb-board-order.html

#187 7 years ago

Final board sold. For those who missed it, if enough interest comes up I might do another run. Shoot me a pre-order here: http://www.purpledrillmonkey.com/tron-rgb-board-pre-order.html

Note there is no plan at this time to run more boards. If at least 7-8 people respond with a pre-order I will entertain the idea.

Thanks again to all!

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

I've seen the eli lights on amazon and eBay but i don't think I've seen them set up for pinball connection..do they still exist or does anyone know how to make those? And yes if I had the multi color lights I'd buy the board. Thx

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_65&products_id=566&zenid=566d683bb24140abb58262f330657cfb

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lighting-mod-for-tron-ramp-kit-owners-gauging-interest?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.